PDA

View Full Version : HENRY

Monkey26
21-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has accessed the Healthy Exercise Nutrition for the Really Young course??

I did my first day today, one more tomorrow, and whilst i really enjoyed it once again i felt a bit left out of some discussions as all the other people there work in childrens centres, for the NHS or social services (the same i felt when i did Here's looking at you Bump, Baby and Little One).

It's great that i choose to access these courses as very few other childminders in my area can (i'm lucky as i work 3 days a week now and my other job is agency work so i can pick and choose my hours around additional training) but surely the courses should still be accessible for all?? Maybe i am just being over sensitive cuz trust me i do learn a lot from these other professionals :D

Just wondered if anyone else has accessed the HENRY course and would like to share tips on how they implemented it into their setting :) xx

sarah707
21-10-2010, 06:54 PM
I thought you were talking about the vacuum cleaner and had posted in the wrong area :laughing:

Sorry it's not a course I have heard about. :D

mamasheshe
21-10-2010, 07:04 PM
i have heard about it but only because my mum works at nhs Norfolk tempted to book on December course xx

The Juggler
21-10-2010, 08:13 PM
sounds interesting

miffy
21-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I thought you were talking about the vacuum cleaner and had posted in the wrong area :laughing:

I thought that too!:laughing:

Sorry, haven't heard of it either.

Miffy xx

Pauline
21-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I did the on-line course some time ago, I thought it was really interesting and got some great ideas and valuable information to use when feeding children.:thumbsup:

I did a review here, Childhood Obesity and HENRY:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=495061

Tatia
21-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Blimey, you've been offered HENRY training?? :eek: Is it a Health-led training (PCT or NHS)? I'm running the course from one of my Centres starting in November (well, Health is running it, I'm just giving them the space). It's a fantastic course.

Is this so you can actually deliver the training to others or is it for you to now use the HENRY principles within your setting?

Over here, Health is picky about who they train to facilitate the course but the actual course itself is offered to parents and children. I haven't seen them roll it out to childcare settings, which is a very interesting idea.

I'd love to hear of your experience.

Monkey26
22-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for your replies ladies; i thought i might get some blank expressions so to speak!

I loved the course and would definately recommend it to anyone that can access it. The course was mainly based on childrens centres and social services rolling courses out to parents and children (this was my personal opinion, others may feel differently!) but i really do feel that a lot of the strategies can be implemented into my daily routine with the children.

There was lots of work around what makes a healthy person, eating patterns, food and lifestyle choices etc. It really is about educating parents regarding obesity in children, how to notice changes etc. The best resource i came away with was a portion size chart which i think many of my parents will be interested to look at :D Oh and you get a lovely bag full of goodies - a soft ball, board game, 3 books and resource sheets!

I have only done the 2 day core training as this is all i feel that is relevant to me at this time (plus i will be on my honeymoon when they run the group facilitation days!)

xx

Oh and i recieved the email from the NHS but it was sent to many childcare settings in my area although out of 18 i was the only childminder and there were 2 nursery managers!

For those who might be interested the website is http://www.henry.org.uk