PDA

View Full Version : Confirming discussions with parents

sarah707
10-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Following on from Sarah's thread about sleeping arrangements for children, I have just had a thought...

You know we all go through a list of things to mention and make notes before we take on new children? Well if we get parents to confirm what we have discussed by signing, then we are covered... and if we hear of any other silly Ofsted statements, we can add them to the list...

Off the top of my head, I can think of -

- using my sun cream if parents do not supply and i consider it dangerous
- using my baby wipes if they forget to send any
- sleeping arrangements (obviously!) :rolleyes:
- playing outside every day
- disability / special needs information
- dressing requirements
- going upstairs to the toilet
- routines / activiites
- emergency contact person discussed
- going out to toddlers / music sessions etc
- 48 hour exclusion after d & s
- not bringing child if ill

Any more? :D

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 08:58 AM
I have been doing all that anyway

Just to " cover " myself

I get great tips from my daughters who work at the nursery haha

I am thinking of doing a toilet one .......... kidding !!

Angel xx

sarah707
10-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I have permissions, but not confirmations of discussions... I think that's what we're going to have to start doing. If we talk to parents about anything important, we need to get them to sign to say we've said it...

It's a good idea to cover our backs anyway...

Anything else on yours Angel that i've missed? Apart from toilets! :rolleyes:

Oh, other thoughts...

- menu and drinks offered
- plying child with copious amounts of water so they are up half the night weeing
- removing anything dangerous out of play area
- child's right to play (and not necessarily produce a picture)

:D

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 09:14 AM
More or less what you have said Sarah

Best to cover yourself for everything - I would not have given it a thought to be honest just that my daughter does it so I thought it a good idea too

xxx

Blaze
10-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Think the paperwork has gone mad!
Blaze:rolleyes:

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 09:56 AM
I agree

Soon we are not going to have time to mind the kids

Angel xx

Minnie Minx
10-04-2008, 09:58 AM
me too blaze, in fact i find it a bit intimidating and i'm starting to wonder if it's all worth it or just try and train for an nvq 2 and work in a nursery. I've also heard that fostering has lots of paperwork too :(

xx

sarah707
10-04-2008, 10:15 AM
I've also heard that fostering has lots of paperwork too :(
xx

HUGE amounts! My friend who does both says fostering is harder on the paperwork! :eek:

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I was going to foster about 18mths ago Theresa the paperwork and the meetings are much worse than what we have to do

You have to continue doing them also and you are expected to go

It takes mths to actually become a foster parent

I think you will be fine doing minding Theresa - it might seem off putting because here on the forum I guess it does seem like we are moaning all the time - it would be really strange if all our posts were " about great rules and great parents " haha

Dont be put off I promise it is ok and not that bad but I do think it can be off putting sometimes to newbies

Angel xx

Minnie Minx
10-04-2008, 11:09 AM
with some agencies it only takes between 3 and 6 months, depending on who you go with and they're better paid then the local council (who training is 1 year) :eek: :eek:

xx

Rubybubbles
10-04-2008, 12:42 PM
I have permissions, but not confirmations of discussions... I think that's what we're going to have to start doing. If we talk to parents about anything important, we need to get them to sign to say we've said it...

Oh, other thoughts...

- plying child with copious amounts of water so they are up half the night weeing- removing anything dangerous out of play area

excellent haha

How about putting a pink hat on a boy as only sun hat avaiable even when you have signed to say you'll provide hats and suncream:rolleyes: (hehe guess what sort of morning I've had)

sarah707
10-04-2008, 01:07 PM
excellent haha
I wondered if anyone would notice! :p

How about putting a pink hat on a boy as only sun hat avaiable even when you have signed to say you'll provide hats and suncream:rolleyes: (hehe guess what sort of morning I've had)

Oh dear, one of those days eh! I suggest a quick coffee to revive and a sit down with a magazine - childcare one of course! :D

cuddlybunny38
13-04-2008, 09:17 PM
I do have a giggle when looking at theses posts, boys in pink hats......... the mind boggles, lol sharon

miffy
13-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't think my parents would be impressed if I produced another list of things for them to sign

They all sign for and get a copy of my policies - which they don't want - I wonder how many of those made it past the recycling bins

miffy xx

Pipsqueak
13-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Oh, other thoughts...

- plying child with copious amounts of water so they are up half the night weeing
- removing anything dangerous out of play area

Due to my current situation I would definately recommend this - type/write up notes of the meeting and get the parents to sign - I am going to start doing this!

Blaze
13-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I have to agree...though I think it is a sad state of affairs where we have to do this & as stated previously it's gonna make a lot more paperwork unfortunately!
Blaze:(