PDA

View Full Version : Caring for another childminders children

singlera
19-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I cover another childminder when she is sick or on holiday and have just realised that I have been charging the parent less than her, parent now wanting to use me more often and feel really guilty about taking business from a colleague. Has anyone else had this situation?

venus89
19-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Ooohhh.. that's a tough one. Maybe you could think about charging the same as your friend? That way you'd earn more and not be unintentionally poaching....

ruby
19-10-2010, 11:16 AM
i charge less than my firend but if we have her mindees than we charge the same

Cathy

FussyElmo
19-10-2010, 11:38 AM
If I mind for my cm friend I charge what she charges and vice versa :thumbsup:

Beetlejuice
19-10-2010, 04:27 PM
If I mind for my cm friend I charge what she charges and vice versa :thumbsup:

WSS! A friend covers me when I'm on holiday and she's cheaper than me so I still invoice the parents and I pay my friend - that way I don't lose work and my friend gets a higher rate for helping me out.

miffy
19-10-2010, 05:25 PM
I cover another childminder when she is sick or on holiday and have just realised that I have been charging the parent less than her, parent now wanting to use me more often and feel really guilty about taking business from a colleague. Has anyone else had this situation?

Personally I'd tell the parent you've made a mistake and match the other childminders price.

I appreciate you didn't undercut her deliberately but having had this happen to me it's not pleasant when you trust someone to cover your work and find out they end up taking it from you.

The only real winner in that situation is the parent who's played you off one against the other.

Miffy xx

Alibali
19-10-2010, 05:29 PM
I personally wouldn't take the children on any more hours and explain that you only want to help out when friend is unavailable, and in future charge the same. Not worth losing a friend over:)

singlera
22-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks all.
Have discussed things with other cm and she is quite happy with what is going on, as the days I have been asked to do she doesn't want to do anyway!! I think this mum has the best of both worlds, a regular cm and a part time cm to pick up the extra her regular cm can't/won't do. I think it might work well for us all.