PDA

View Full Version : dentist

loocyloo
16-10-2010, 02:47 PM
having been to see the dentist yesterday and him telling me i had loose filling and to make an appointment and he'd replace it ... all done for a few weeks time ...

i spent the night in agony and hardly slept, this morning rang the emergency dental line and had to drive to woking ( 40mins drive! as apparently, although i'm in hampshire, i come under surrey for emergency dental care! )

i saw a lovely dentist who took my filling out, and said i had a little bit of decay and that whilst she could put a temporary filling in, i need to go and see my dentist asap as i need root canal work :( :( :(

the injection she gave me has worn off now, but tooth still hurts a bit. i'm having to cut everything into tiny pieces to eat, as it hurts to bite!

typically, its an inset day on monday and i have 6 children and a day out booked, so i really can't miss that, and then, a really busy week! typical! and i just know i am going to have to make a fuss to get an appointment at the dentists, and then fuss again, as it will be bound to be when i have lots of children ! :(

just needed to share, as i don't even like going to the dentist!

Winnie
16-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Poor you :( i hate the dentist too and would be really upset at visiting my dentist and then spending the night in pain- something really wrong with nhs dentistry at the moment :mad:

Pipsqueak
16-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Poor you - I hope you feel better soon.
Some tips from the mother of a dental phobic child who would rather put up with an ulcer under the tooth than go and get it sorted....

rinse with salted warm water
get some anbesol to put round the gum
use a 'warm pack' on the outside of your mouth (ie a hot water bottle)

there is something HUGELY wrong with NHS dentistry. They don't give a flying monkeys unless you are paying them - end of. One dentist will tell you xyz and another dentist will tell you another thing (Harry has been scared witless by one idiot dentist, another has insisted he needs a tooth pulled - well actually 3 another dentist reckons only 1 tooth need work and it certainly doesn't need to be pulled!!!!) . They will attribute EVERYHING to poor dental hygiene and have a go at you - dentists actually have a worse 'god complex' than doctors do. You cannot get an appointment and then you are left in pain or with poor work done.
No wonder this countrys teeth is in a bad state and so many people won't visit them (for a vareity of reasons) and thats if you can get an appointment.

Feel better soon xxx

LOOPYLISA
16-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Don't even get me started :rolleyes:

Put it this way I have had 4 dentists in the past 6 months !

haribo
16-10-2010, 04:54 PM
im having root canal work at the moment . well not literally :laughing: i have to go every week and the canal is draining then it needs filling . have to say i havent felt any pain and im dental phobic too. i said can we work on the theory that the nerves alive and kicking and numb it and she assured me its dead as a dodo . havent had it numbed and walked out each time as if ive had nothing done . so dont worry about that if u need it . hope its sorted very quickly x

Toothfairy
16-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi

I am a manager of the Kent Emergency Dental Service.

The best pain relief to use is a combination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (as long as you are not pregnant, have Asthma or a Stomach Ulcer).

Please do not put anything hot on your face, as if there is any infection around the tooth, the heat draws it out into the tissues and you will end up with a swollen face.

Also try not to put anything onto the gum as this can burn the soft tissue.

If you need root canal treatment, it means the nerve inside the tooth is dying or has died and nothing you put on the outside will bring any relief.

There are some excellent Dentists in the NHS and Private sector. Working for the Unit I get to work with a vary large amount of Kent Dentists and I can asure you that they all take their jobs very seriously and always do their best to help their patients.

loocyloo
16-10-2010, 05:35 PM
thank you toothfairy. :)

sadly i can't use ibuprofen - it makes me very sick! i tend to use paracetamol & codeine.

the dentist i saw today was lovely.

i have to say, i have had super dentists up until the current one :mad: the surgery i go to has newly qualified dentists and they do a 3 yr stint. the last 3 have been lovely, and i had every confidence in them ( and all the dentists i saw before them (i've had ALOT of dental treatment! ;) ) but this current one, really does think he is wonderful :rolleyes: although he seemed better when i saw him on friday! lets see what he says next week! i'm resigned to treatment, i almost hate the needle for the injection more and worry about that! although, thank you haribo for the thought that i won't need an injection - but truly believing the nerve is dead is beyond me i think!:D

xxx

LOOPYLISA
16-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Just to add I have had some lovely dentists in the past, just they keep leaving :)

good luck with your treatments everyone x

Dare4Distance
18-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I've found that the best thing for bad toothache is Vanilla extract. I'm sure it has something to do with it having alcohol in it but if you put a bit on a cotton bud and put it on the tooth it stops the pain instantly! It's great for when you wake at 3am with toothache ;)

loocyloo
18-10-2010, 04:39 PM
update!

rang my dentists ... i can see the dentist on wednesday for a 10 minute emergency appt. i said that i needed a new filling, and that the dentist i saw on sat said i would need root canal. apparently i STILL have to just have a 10 minute appointment, so dentist can decide what he going to do! i said he had already decided last week to replace filling, but things happened a bit faster than he thought! it doesn't matter, she can't book me an appt for a filling or ANYTHING other than a 10 minute appt!

grrrr!

one bright side - the appt is for when all my minded children are at preschool, so at least i am going on my own and don't need to arrange cover !!!

Toothfairy
19-10-2010, 07:00 AM
She will be using the 10min appt to asses for herself if root canal teatment is needed because if so then there is no point putting a new filling in, as it will just be taken out again when the RCT treatment is started.

Most Dentist's take 1-2 30min appts to complete a RCT.