PDA

View Full Version : EYPS

venus89
15-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I started my EYPS course with really very little idea at all what it was all about. All I knew was that it was going to be lots of hard work (!) and was about proving my leadership skills. I chose it as I'd done the DHC, got a diploma and got a degree and I wanted something which would challenge me more and also something which would give me job prospects once I leave Childminding.

So I thought it might be useful to others considering the course to tell you about my experience so far..... I'm not yet half way through the Short pathway. For me that's a 6 month course. I go into uni 8 times over the course of those 6 months - the parents have been wonderfully flexible about this but there is a £1000 bursary to cover replacement childcare if needed. Half way through there's a Gateway Review. This sounds scary but I'm assured it's actually good fun. It's a half day assessment at the university which has three parts. There's role play with an actor, to demonstrate what you'd do in a particular setting-relevant situation. There's a presentation to give. And there's an interview too. This isn't a pass or fail thing but it's to assess any gaps before the written tasks and the setting visit.

The written tasks are what I'm working on (slightly obsessively) at the moment. The idea of EYPS is that you evidence that you meet 39 standards. These are categorised in 6 sections: effective practice, knowledge and understanding, relationships with children, communicating and working in partnership with families and carers, teamwork and collaboration, and personal professional development. You build up evidence in a folder - this might be work you've done like planning, annotated photographs, sections from your Ofsted report...... There are also 6 written tasks where you write about different things you've done. For instance, you might write about how you changed how snack times worked during playgroup because of x, y and z reasons. And you put in the margin how this shows that you are meeting the standards.

The written tasks get sent to the assessor and she'll look at the folder come the setting visit. The assessor comes for a whole day to look at the folder, inspect the setting (that'll take about 2 minutes in my case :laughing: ), speak to you and to three nominated witnesses. What my tutor hasn't been able to clear up is how this will work as a Childminder. I suppose they'll just have to be a bit flexible to take into account how we work alone so there's nobody to keep an eye on the children for us when we have our interview with them. I already said that if a child needs me at that stage then they'll just have to wait until I'm free :D

Finally, we've all been assigned a mentor who has achieved EYPS themself. Mine is another Childminder so she'll be able to be a huge help because she's been there and done that.

So far, it's going okay. I've had mixed feelings about it but I think that if I use the support available and work really really hard it will be achievable, with a lot of organisation. It's already impacting on what I do and how I think about my work, both as an individual and working with others, in positive ways: being more organised, thinking more about how to involve the parents. I'm even going to give a training session of my own :panic: .

The one thing that I have noticed which has cause me some concern is that even though the CWDC assess everything, regardless of which university you study through, so everyone should have the same information, that even between the tutors delivering my course there is different information being given about what can or cannot go into the evidence folder. I was lookimg on the EYPS forum last night and again there is one person saying their tutor said x and another saying their tutor said y. But apparently the keyword is triangulation - the assessors want to see three ways that you meet a standard. In what you say at the setting visit, from your witnesses, and in written form through the tasks and folder of evidence.

Hopefully this will have some benefit if you're thinking about going into it so you're a lot more prepared than I was!

Pipsqueak
15-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for that hunny, that is wonderfully informative and very inspiring. Its great to hear it as it happens.

come back and keep us updated - blog style please.

on the EYPS forum is that the EYFS forum part of it???? I'm on there - just started mooching about.....:D

The Juggler
15-10-2010, 01:04 PM
that's brilliant Venus. January is seeming a whole lot less scary after reading this. I was building it up into a big nightmare:panic:

venus89
15-10-2010, 03:11 PM
:laughing: thank you both.

Pipsqueak - I have an apology to make, I just looked it up and it was one the foundation stage forum http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/index.php?showforum=122, one of the posts I was browsing last night - somebody on the EYPS forum put a link to it in one of their posts and that's where I got confused :blush: Happens too easily! Are you going for EYPS?

Pipsqueak
15-10-2010, 03:31 PM
:laughing: thank you both.

Pipsqueak - I have an apology to make, I just looked it up and it was one the foundation stage forum http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/index.php?showforum=122, one of the posts I was browsing last night - somebody on the EYPS forum put a link to it in one of their posts and that's where I got confused :blush: Happens too easily! Are you going for EYPS?

Considering it Venus. got to get my maths GCSE first. not sure why when i am already doing 99% of the job though!!!! lol

venus89
15-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Considering it Venus. got to get my maths GCSE first. not sure why when i am already doing 99% of the job though!!!! lol

Lol - I think it's always nice to have a bit of recognition, plus it increases employability too :)

tashaleee
15-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info Venus - Im not really fully aware of what getting the EYPS entails - nor am I far enough along the FD degree course to consider how far im going - but appreciate the time you took to post and it definitely sounds very interesting :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
15-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Lol - I think it's always nice to have a bit of recognition, plus it increases employability too :)

yes I think thats right - I would like the recognition.

The Juggler
16-10-2010, 12:07 PM
yes I think thats right - I would like the recognition.

just hope there are some early years jobs left in next year or so if they don't get rid of all the depts. Hammersmith and Fulham got rid of almost their entire EYES Team the other week:(

venus89
16-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Well with the whole education system having their shakeup then who knows what will happen - that's why I'm doing EYPS now, because I'm not 100% sure of its sustainability, and at the very least they surely won't keep it free and keep giving out the bursaries for too many years?

venus89
16-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info Venus - Im not really fully aware of what getting the EYPS entails - nor am I far enough along the FD degree course to consider how far im going - but appreciate the time you took to post and it definitely sounds very interesting :thumbsup:

You're welcome, and that's why I wanted to do it. I went in knowing nothing about it, though that's possibly just me being a bit rubbish, so if I can help others then that's good :)

Pipsqueak
16-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Well with the whole education system having their shakeup then who knows what will happen - that's why I'm doing EYPS now, because I'm not 100% sure of its sustainability, and at the very least they surely won't keep it free and keep giving out the bursaries for too many years?

When I was chatting to my lecturer she asked why i wanted to do EYPS as in her opinion it was not going to a valid or recognised qualification within a few years. Schools won't recognise iti even now!

venus89
16-10-2010, 07:50 PM
When I was chatting to my lecturer she asked why i wanted to do EYPS as in her opinion it was not going to a valid or recognised qualification within a few years. Schools won't recognise iti even now!

That's kind of depressing, isn't it? But from the little I've done already I think it will improve the work I do, both as an individual and otherwise. And that can never be a bad thing. A lot of the training I do won't have any impact beyond that which it has on my Childminding business but I'd go mad in this job if the paperwork and training was taken away :blush:
And today my charming first aid teacher let me off the homework because he said I had enough on my plate already :D

Pipsqueak
16-10-2010, 09:14 PM
That's kind of depressing, isn't it? But from the little I've done already I think it will improve the work I do, both as an individual and otherwise. And that can never be a bad thing. A lot of the training I do won't have any impact beyond that which it has on my Childminding business but I'd go mad in this job if the paperwork and training was taken away :blush:
And today my charming first aid teacher let me off the homework because he said I had enough on my plate already :D

Oh I agree with you Venus, for what I already do it would be great to have that recognition as we have already said. I also think it would expand me yet again in terms of professional development and confidence. I think it would improve my work and it would also give me 'status' that is much needed for me (minders) to be taken seriously - especially from the sour faced old hag (a particular EYPS) at our local CC.

venus89
20-10-2010, 07:00 PM
You asked for an update, so.....

Today we had our preparation for the Gateway Review. Today's session was compulsory for doing the review, which is not only the midway point but also the point at which they can tell you to go away :panic:

The good news is that today has set a lot of minds at rest. We started by looking at the group exercise - this is the presentation to a group. Which isn't as scary as I was imagining as rather than a stand up presentation you sit down in a group of 4, all doing EYPS, and talk for 4 minutes about some kind of change you initiated in your setting. Each person takes turns to talk then there's a group discussion, amongst the four of you, for 14 minutes. All this is being watched by 2 assessors who are looking at your leadership skills, so it's about drawing others into the conversation if they're quiet, communication, and about decision making. Then,as a group, you have to draw conclusions based on everyone's presentations and write them up on a display board.

Part two was looking at the written exercises - 5 or 6 in 20 minutes, based on scenarios that you might find in your setting, post it notes people might put on the desk, that sort of thing. We can write bullet point answers as to how we would deal with a situation.

The next bit was the role play, again setting specific, so in the role play that was done today it was a manager bringing in a new staff member (the actor) to chat to them about the changes they'd made (fencing off the messy play area so the children couldn't access, and taking away the sand and water play as too messy) and how she would deal with that. They did a brilliant job, goodness knows how I'll cope!

The last thing we looked at was the personal interview. This will be based in part around a written standards reflection we have to submit a week beforehand and focusses on our strengths and weaknesses in terms of meeting the standards. That's my job tonight! Along with the SEF :panic:

So... I think we're all feeling more confident about the Gateway than before. Whether I'll get through is another matter, but I'm certainly better prepared to try. Fingers crossed! And toes. And legs. And anything else crossable.... :laughing:

The Juggler
21-10-2010, 09:38 AM
thanks for the update hon. good luck with it allx

manjay
21-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks for sharing. Really good to hear about your journey as it is not something that is available in Wales.

Good luck:thumbsup:

sarahlou
21-10-2010, 09:58 AM
I completed my EYP in march although people are saying it may not be recognised it's good as you assess your own setting and allows you to make changes that you may not have done before if u need any help i still have all my stuff:)

The Juggler
21-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I completed my EYP in march although people are saying it may not be recognised it's good as you assess your own setting and allows you to make changes that you may not have done before if u need any help i still have all my stuff:)

:clapping: well done you. can I come to you if I start mine in jan?

sarahlou
21-10-2010, 10:36 AM
defo found that i needed a good support network so no worries

venus89
21-10-2010, 10:46 AM

Thanks Sarah - and congratulations. My mentor has still not contacted me, the uni is chasing her at the moment, and trying to email the course tutor is futile as she gets so many emails that she doesn't have the time to answer them all. So an offer of help is invaluable and you may live to regret it :laughing:

Firstly, I do a 6 week review at the end of each term. It's a bog standard NCMA one - a section on the child's progress then a section for next steps and ideas for the parents and for myself to try to help the child move towards those next steps. I also try to get feedback from the parents on the review and, where applicable, build that into planning. Do you think I can use this as part of my evidence towards leadership and support, in that I am leading and supporting the parents?

Also (I warned you! :blush: ) I'd like to use setting up and running a Childminding Group as an activity for a written task - do you think this counts as an 'activity'?

And do you know if you can use the same subject for your presentation at the Gateway Review as you use in a written task?

Thankyou :thumbsup:

venus89
08-11-2010, 10:45 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Today is my Gateway review. This might be the point when I get turfed off the course, in which case the Juggler can continue with the step by step instructions when she starts it next year!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pipsqueak
08-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Today is my Gateway review. This might be the point when I get turfed off the course, in which case the Juggler can continue with the step by step instructions when she starts it next year!

you will NOT get turfed off - I bet you will ace it all and so everyone a thing or two.

xxxxxx

venus89
08-11-2010, 11:18 AM
you will NOT get turfed off - I bet you will ace it all and so everyone a thing or two.

xxxxxx

:laughing: :laughing: I wish! Panic's beginning to kick in now :panic:

Pipsqueak
08-11-2010, 11:23 AM
:laughing: :laughing: I wish! Panic's beginning to kick in now :panic:

a little anxiety is good - just don;t let it control you
remember you DO know your job, you DO know what you are talking about, you DO know what they need to know. you wouldn't be here if you didn't.

go for it Venus xxx

The Juggler
08-11-2010, 05:37 PM
You will be ace!!! So, let us know how it went..xx

venus89
08-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Thank you guys.
Well, I finished at half past five and I'm still buzzing. Then, it is one of those weeks. This week I have my Gateway review, I've agreed to become Creche Leader at the Children's Centre from Jan, entirely on my terms (i think I was headhunted :laughing: ), start mentoring properly, implement my new Group encouraging everyone to use the group to do obs plan AND have a new mindee starting, who is very very cut> I say this week - that's today and tomorrow!

Well, I did it. For better or worse, for pass or for fail, I did it. ANd I won't be doing it again in a hurry!

I started with the written tasks - 30 minutes to write about 5 situations (they do kill you if you give details so I can't, sadly......), both what you'd do in the short and long term. 30 minutes is not enough! I started with sentences and neat writing. By the end it was only the necessary words and my scruffiest writing ever.....

Part two was the presentation. This wasn't really a presentation in the sense that I understand it. We sat in a cirrcle and each spoke for four minutes about a change we'd implememnted, then had a group discussion. If you do EYPS, the group discussion is just as important as your presentation. It's about maintaining eye contact, giving input, drawing conclusions... Basically being a team player. If there's a quiet one, draw them in. In our group everyone, in my opinion, spoke fairly equally. I think it went ok.

Next was the bit I dreaded - the actor interview. I was expecting a safeguarding issue but it wasn't that hard. The actor was good and played along with the details I filled in that weren't in the brief, though even with the filling in I could only manage 10 out of 15 minutes. The nursery owner who went after me said the same - 'I finished really early'

Then finally I had my personal interview. This was the bit I enjoyed the most, though I have no idea how it went. I'm not sure how relevant my answers were to the questions I was asked, and the questions I was asked weren't specific to my role so I found them, at times, slightly puzzling. But equally I think I was relaxed at that stage as it was nearly over so maybe I just wasn't listening properly.

Feedback will come within 10 days...... I'll be interested to see what they say. You can't fail, but it can be recommended you move to a longer pathway. Watch this space.....

The Juggler
08-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Thank you guys.
Well, I finished at half past five and I'm still buzzing. Then, it is one of those weeks. This week I have my Gateway review, I've agreed to become Creche Leader at the Children's Centre from Jan, entirely on my terms (i think I was headhunted :laughing: ), start mentoring properly, implement my new Group encouraging everyone to use the group to do obs plan AND have a new mindee starting, who is very very cut> I say this week - that's today and tomorrow!

Well, I did it. For better or worse, for pass or for fail, I did it. ANd I won't be doing it again in a hurry!

I started with the written tasks - 30 minutes to write about 5 situations (they do kill you if you give details so I can't, sadly......), both what you'd do in the short and long term. 30 minutes is not enough! I started with sentences and neat writing. By the end it was only the necessary words and my scruffiest writing ever.....

Part two was the presentation. This wasn't really a presentation in the sense that I understand it. We sat in a cirrcle and each spoke for four minutes about a change we'd implememnted, then had a group discussion. If you do EYPS, the group discussion is just as important as your presentation. It's about maintaining eye contact, giving input, drawing conclusions... Basically being a team player. If there's a quiet one, draw them in. In our group everyone, in my opinion, spoke fairly equally. I think it went ok.

Next was the bit I dreaded - the actor interview. I was expecting a safeguarding issue but it wasn't that hard. The actor was good and played along with the details I filled in that weren't in the brief, though even with the filling in I could only manage 10 out of 15 minutes. The nursery owner who went after me said the same - 'I finished really early'

Then finally I had my personal interview. This was the bit I enjoyed the most, though I have no idea how it went. I'm not sure how relevant my answers were to the questions I was asked, and the questions I was asked weren't specific to my role so I found them, at times, slightly puzzling. But equally I think I was relaxed at that stage as it was nearly over so maybe I just wasn't listening properly.

Feedback will come within 10 days...... I'll be interested to see what they say. You can't fail, but it can be recommended you move to a longer pathway. Watch this space.....

well done! sounds like it went fab. large glass of something for you tonight then hon;)

venus89
24-11-2010, 04:25 PM
:clapping: :clapping: I'm through the Gateway :clapping: :clapping:

(OMG that means I have to actually do some work :eek: )

Pipsqueak
24-11-2010, 05:20 PM

thats fabby news well done:clapping: :clapping:

nannymcflea
24-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Well done you, thats great news. xx

The Juggler
24-11-2010, 10:20 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: knew you would!

Childrenatheart
24-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Really good luck with Gateway & beyond. I got persuaded by another CM who shall remain nameless to do the validation only (4m) route via the ou (she did it there as FD top up & is now an ou mentor) as Chi uni were really messing me about timetable-wise fr the short route.
I was terrified of Gateway but when it came to it I enjoyed it in a peverse way. The hardest bit was completing the written tasks after as we only got 3 weeks to do these & the evidence folder in.
Overall though the whole thing was a really piositive experience & even if there turns out to be no place for EYPs in the current Govt plans I'm glad I did it, both for me, my setting & their future development

venus89
25-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Really good luck with Gateway & beyond. I got persuaded by another CM who shall remain nameless to do the validation only (4m) route via the ou (she did it there as FD top up & is now an ou mentor) as Chi uni were really messing me about timetable-wise fr the short route.
I was terrified of Gateway but when it came to it I enjoyed it in a peverse way. The hardest bit was completing the written tasks after as we only got 3 weeks to do these & the evidence folder in.
Overall though the whole thing was a really piositive experience & even if there turns out to be no place for EYPs in the current Govt plans I'm glad I did it, both for me, my setting & their future development

It's good to hear from other people who have done it. I don't have to hand my written tasks in until January so I have a bit longer than you, and I think I need it! Have you managed to do anything EYP related since you got the status? I agree, it's a very valuable thing to do - I know it's made me better, so I won't regret doing it even if I don't achieve EYPS. I've reevaluated a lot of what I do, dragged my group up, and already got a job offer on the back of it!

Childrenatheart
25-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow - great news on the job offer! I definitely think I've benefited though I always suffer a bit from lack of confidence in my knowledge & wonder how I managed it lol.
I've been offered a mentor post from Jan by the OU & Chichester Uni for new EYP candidates but I'm not sure if anything will happen now that the CWDC have had their funding pulled. Still waiting to hear :o(
I want to carry on CM'g for the forseeable but I'd like to tutor too at some point. I would need to do an adult ed teaching qualification first though. My youngest child is in Y3 and I envisage developing my career beyong minding once she gets to Y7 (secondary school) and having a TTO school hours job is less necessary iyswim. There is a FT EYPS job being advertised near me that is only offering 18k pa. It sounds a lot compared to my turnover as a cm but its long hours with travel costs & childcare costs to account for, not to mention tax & NI, so the net profit wouldn't be much more than I get CM'g.

All the best with yours. Keep us posted with how you get on.

UoB_EYPS
26-11-2010, 09:40 AM
The University of Brighton have just had some films produced about EYPS and are available at the following link - http://www.brighton.ac.uk/education/courses/cpd/eyps/eyps_films.php?PageId=704.

One of the films shows how Childminders can achieve EYPS and the benefits the course can bring.

Please let us your know your thoughts on these films and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

venus89
26-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Wow - great news on the job offer! I definitely think I've benefited though I always suffer a bit from lack of confidence in my knowledge & wonder how I managed it lol.
I've been offered a mentor post from Jan by the OU & Chichester Uni for new EYP candidates but I'm not sure if anything will happen now that the CWDC have had their funding pulled. Still waiting to hear :o(
I want to carry on CM'g for the forseeable but I'd like to tutor too at some point. I would need to do an adult ed teaching qualification first though. My youngest child is in Y3 and I envisage developing my career beyong minding once she gets to Y7 (secondary school) and having a TTO school hours job is less necessary iyswim. There is a FT EYPS job being advertised near me that is only offering 18k pa. It sounds a lot compared to my turnover as a cm but its long hours with travel costs & childcare costs to account for, not to mention tax & NI, so the net profit wouldn't be much more than I get CM'g.

All the best with yours. Keep us posted with how you get on.

Thank you - the job offer is actually creche leader at the Children's Centre. I'm doing it a couple of days a week to get experience of the other side.... Still, it's nice, and I'm pleased about it. Like you I want to carry on Childminding for now but having the opportunity to gain experience elsewhere is a valuable thing for me to have.

I've had a look, out of interest, at a few EYP jobs near me and, like you, I found that the pay scale is around the mid ten thousands..... At the moment I'm earning more than that Childminding! I guess we're just agents for change, rather than people who get paid a lot :laughing:

Congratulations on the mentoring offer, that's brilliant. My mentor is a CM and her experience is really helping e. My tutors are completely ignorant about the role of Childminders - one called me a babysitter :angry: - so the more people within the EYPS world we can get who understand what we do, the better. As to the funding, my tutor is going to help rewrite the next edition of the course guidance before Christmas so I think we're all safe for now.....

Keep us updated with how you get on x

venus89
26-11-2010, 01:17 PM
The University of Brighton have just had some films produced about EYPS and are available at the following link - http://www.brighton.ac.uk/education/courses/cpd/eyps/eyps_films.php?PageId=704.

One of the films shows how Childminders can achieve EYPS and the benefits the course can bring.

Please let us your know your thoughts on these films and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you - I'll have a look at that over the weekend and give you some feedback once I've seen them....

Childrenatheart
26-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I found that the pay scale is around the mid ten thousands..... At the moment I'm earning more than that Childminding! I guess we're just agents for change, rather than people who get paid a lot :laughing:

lol :) Think I'd prefer that the other way round

manjay
26-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Very nice to see a childminder getting the recognition she deserves:thumbsup:

venus89
26-11-2010, 08:23 PM

Thank you, it's nice to see people who've been through the process. I hear on here of other Childminders who've been through the process but I still find it slightly isolating when I'm at the university, when everyone else works in Children's Centres or nurseries. I knew nothing about EYPS before I actually started it (:blush: ) and something like that would have given me a bit more confidence from the beginning. It's only now that I've been through the Gateway and had positive feedback from my Mentor about one of my written tasks that I feel there's a glimmer of a chance I may achieve the status, so seeing a Childminder who has is very positive.

venus89
27-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Wow - I haven't written for ages! We had no tutorials in December, but had one a couple of weeks ago. It was a bit of a let down, to be honest. There was some staff shortage or other so we got bundled together with another group, meaning that the morning was their session (the principles of the EYFS) and the afternoon was quite interesting - we watched a film about child initiated play and then worked in groups to develop a setting mission statement.

Now I am days away from having to hand in the seven written tasks. Luckily I've nearly done them, I have the house to myself on Saturday to polish them off and ensure that I cover all the standards. There's a task grid which has to be handed in with the written tasks where you can tick off which standards you think are covered in which task (and in the margin of the written tasks we also write when we think we have covered a standard). As we have to prove that we meet the standards in both leadership and support and own practice we're allowed to write L and P in the task grid. I did this and it's made it much easier for me to see where I'm weak and need more. I'm trying to make sure that I claim each standard at least twice - and preferably more - in own practice and in leadership.

I also have to submit all the documents associated with my setting visit at the same time as the written tasks - this includes a document list for my folder of evidence (which I am nowhere near to completing :panic: ), details of my witnesses, of my setting. I'm torn between calm, as the written tasks are getting there, and mild hysteria if I let the thought of finding my evidence for my folder. I've ignored it too long! We have one more tutorial next week then it's hand on the 7th. Scary stuff :(

venus89
01-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Totally, totally stressed :(

Honestly, I've been saying all the way through that our tutors are a bit on the flappy side, haven't I? Well everything is due in on Monday - I personally spent 16 solid hours on the compute this weekend, and I'd already pretty much finished all but one written task.....) Nobody in my group knew about all the stuff that was due in with the written tasks on Monday - document list etc. So there's a lot of stress going on. Luckily I'd read up about the document list, though I didn't know we had to submit a resume and had no idea about the setting visit plan.

Well today my tutor drops the little bobshell that we're not to be looking after children whilst we have our personal interviews (35 minutes, two interviews) or whilst we do the setting tour (45 minutes) and that my setting tour will take place sometime in March (not at half term, like I wanted). So I'm in a bit of a stew about how my setting can be functioning normally, as they request, but I can be not looking after children. Cages, perhaps? A really good film and some popcorn? I just think it might have been helpful if she mentioned it before......

Anyway, setting visit is a chance for the assessor to see evidence - changes you've made to the setting, for instance, and your document folder. It's also when they interview the three witnesses, as well as yourself. And the interviews are designed to find evidence where she's not sure you've met the standard.

Back to the grind, had my moan.... I will be so glad when this is done!

The Juggler
01-02-2011, 10:30 PM
you can do it hon. about the visit - that is terrible they did not tell you about that - we were told on the very first prep day.:angry:

do you have a childminder friend who has a day off she doesn't work each week. Perhaps she could come to your house (if she knows the children well enough and vice versa).

that was my plan until I dropped out to get my CM friend to come here. we see each other all the time with our respective mindees. She has a friday off so I was going to ask the visit to be on a fri.

You can usually negotiate the date on the grounds of getting this cover.:)

Pipsqueak
01-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Flappy tutors.... hmm I know where you are coming from and you have my utmost sympathy.

Thats really naughty that you are left in the lurch without information:(

You have got this far though hunny bun you can go that last little bit.

AGree with Jugs - see if a minder friend can do you a favour.

xxx

Childrenatheart
28-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Not been on here for ages but wanted to catch up & see how things are going. Have you had your setting visit yet Venus? How did it go? The thing about having children present is a real pain isn't it. I was lucky that i got in just before CWDC changed the ruling. Did you sort it? Do let us know

venus89
29-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Oh bless you, thank you - a bit of a disaster really! I had a moan about it here ....
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=78797

But hey ho, it's over and done with and now I have a lot more free time :D Regardless of the outcome, for me it was worthwhile doing, it's made me think more about what I do and why and made me a lot more conscientious about my work in both settings. And if I get it I will be really pleased, there's no denying it, but if I don't it's not the end of the world - I got into children's centres without it, and that was part of the reason I went for it. :thumbsup:

Childrenatheart
29-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Oh my, what a nightmare for you. As the others said though, if you managed to hold it together & appear professional it will have played in your favour, not to mention all that lovely multi-agengy working lol. Also, the setting visit isn't everything. What you covered in your written tasks is a big chunk & you only have to cover the standards once each across your visit & evidence folder.
I don't come on here very often - there are so many boards I find it a bit bewildering, not to mention a big black hole sucking up all my time - but I will keep a look out for your results (or you could pm me...)
Rx

venus89
29-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Oh my, what a nightmare for you. As the others said though, if you managed to hold it together & appear professional it will have played in your favour, not to mention all that lovely multi-agengy working lol. Also, the setting visit isn't everything. What you covered in your written tasks is a big chunk & you only have to cover the standards once each across your visit & evidence folder.
I don't come on here very often - there are so many boards I find it a bit bewildering, not to mention a big black hole sucking up all my time - but I will keep a look out for your results (or you could pm me...)
Rx

Oh bless you, yes I'll post an update even if it's bad news. In my heart I think it will possibly be a standards shortfall, I'm don't think it will be a complete fail. But it would be nice to get through :)

venus89
09-06-2011, 04:30 PM
So those of you one Facebook will know my news. I promised to write it here even if it was bad news. I've written an email this evening to my manager at the Children's Centre asking if I could have a new badge as the one I have now says 'early years practitioner' and I can now wear a badge which says 'Early Years Professional' :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: |

And phew!

Pipsqueak
09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
So those of you one Facebook will know my news. I promised to write it here even if it was bad news. I've written an email this evening to my manager at the Children's Centre asking if I could have a new badge as the one I have now says 'early years practitioner' and I can now wear a badge which says 'Early Years Professional' :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: |

And phew!

WELL DONE WELL DONE WELL DONE

:clapping: :clapping: I know the hard hard hard word you have put in... oh well done you clever thing.:clapping:

venus89
09-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Thank you :D

The Juggler
09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I am so happy for you honey. 3 girls I went to college with just got theirs, so narked now I had to drop out but I can't face going back to college now.:(

good for you. hope you are celebrating :D

venus89
10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Thank you :)

I did buy a bottle of fizz to celebrate but it's also tinged a little bit with a 'what now'. I mean, it won't get me a new job, a better paid job, though I guess it makes me more desirable (ooh er missus ;) ). What can I do with it now? Event he training my county council were offering for EYPs has gone. So it's great to have and I'm pleased but also at a loose end with it as I think once you have it you're expected to use it for good.....

karen1033
23-06-2011, 03:56 PM
I can now wear a badge which says 'Early Years Professional' :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Congratulations you :jump for joy:

I have just spent 18 months wondering why I started this course :panic: No one seems to know anything about it, my parent's are not interested - all they want is safe and stimulating childcare and as childminder's we dont even get the financial benefit that nurseries/pre-schools get. The only other CM I know who has done this is no longer minding!!

I was told I had to be 'out of ratio' for the whole setting visit not just the tour and interviews. Luckily I had a friend who is an ex-CM and knows my mindees - I was told I had to get supply cover - what, let someone the children have never met into my home and look after my children - I don't think so!! Not very Professional :mad: and certainly not what I would call " establishing a safe environment and employ practices that promote children's health, safety and physical, mental and emotional well-being" or "being accountable for the delivery of high quality provision" !

Now today I have just heard I have not got it - What a complete waste of my time :angry:

I was the only CM in my group and even when I deferred ( 3 days in hospital and a change in child situation!!) the second group I attended I was the only one!!

My assessor asked for my setting name and hadn't even realised that I was a childminder and my mentor went AWOL and was completely useless.

I do not intend to recommend doing this to anyone :mad:

venus89
08-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Oh I'm sorry to hear that Karen :( Did you get a shortfall? It might be worth making it up so you get your status after all the hard work you put in? Having said that, the certificate is rubbish :rolleyes: :laughing: I was expecting shiny bits and something looking professional That's not what I got, the typing was even misaligned! Shows what the CWDC thinks of it, I was tempted to complain (may still do)

I still would recommend it as an excellent CPD tool

sarahlou
08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks Sarah - and congratulations. My mentor has still not contacted me, the uni is chasing her at the moment, and trying to email the course tutor is futile as she gets so many emails that she doesn't have the time to answer them all. So an offer of help is invaluable and you may live to regret it :laughing:

Firstly, I do a 6 week review at the end of each term. It's a bog standard NCMA one - a section on the child's progress then a section for next steps and ideas for the parents and for myself to try to help the child move towards those next steps. I also try to get feedback from the parents on the review and, where applicable, build that into planning. Do you think I can use this as part of my evidence towards leadership and support, in that I am leading and supporting the parents?

Also (I warned you! :blush: ) I'd like to use setting up and running a Childminding Group as an activity for a written task - do you think this counts as an 'activity'?

And do you know if you can use the same subject for your presentation at the Gateway Review as you use in a written task?

Thankyou :thumbsup:

Sorry havnt been on for a while - i set up a childminder drop in and used it for my work - and used it for my gateway review

manjay
08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Well done you:thumbsup: It is a great achievement and you should be so proud of yourself:D

Bluebell
06-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Anyone got any advice for a relative newbie on whether this is worth pursuing?

sammc_74
17-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Hi guys. I've just been offered a place on the 6mth EYPS pathway starting in jan and this thread has been really helpful.

You've all put my mind at rest and the 'blog' is really useful...now I know just what to expect!!!

One question....when I had my interview there was no mention of a bursary to cover the costs of finding alternative care for my mindees or to compensate for loss of earnings if I have to take unpaid hols when I'm timetabled to be at uni...any suggestions where I can find out if I'm eligible?

thanks peeps x

venus89
26-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Bluelion - people I've spoken to who've completed this have all said they're glad they did it from a self improvement point of view. I honestly don't know anyone who found it life changing, though I know a preschool manager who gets more money from having done it.

Sammc, I don't know if there is still a bursary for it, that may depend on your individual provider so best to check with them and find out. As it was I didn't end up spending out for cover, I was really lucky that all my parents could be flexible and move their days so I only lost maybe £100 income throughout the whole course. However, the money did get used for travel and for stationary I needed, the rest went into my business, a little extra is always nice :thumbsup:

jadavi
03-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Is anyone else doing this now? Started mind last week. Would rather not go off am hunt for s different forum to chat about it if possible as I like this one! Bur no one seems to be answering EYPS posts ....

venus89
03-03-2012, 08:21 AM
How are you getting on, Jadavi?

jadavi
03-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the interest Venus.

a few things after 2 sessions...

I found out yesterday trying to claim for books and my mentor's mileage etc that the bursery is only for cover.

Really annoyed about this as the course tutor told us repeatedly we could use it how we like and I would not have picked the mentor I did if I had know I would have to pay for her petrol...

Understandably they have been given so little info I cant blame them really.... I only got on mine by sheer fluke as funding was so late they didint have time to advertise it.

I agree i dont think it'll be life changing...

What is disappointing is that it seems to be almost totally showing off! Showing how good I am with this age range and that age range...and being clever with the evidence and a lot of what can only be described as blarney and jargon being thrown around.
I was hoping I would learn something but i think the best bit will be visiting my mentor's setting and her to me (and tbh it isnt really necessary for the course). I'm also looking forward to any feedback about my setting from the tutor when she visits me.

I do understand that the whole point of the course is indeed to prove that your experience in early years equips you to be able to join the network and be accredited (which is why I'm doing it) and that is all it is.

I also ended up doing the diploma level three as well - in the hope of input but that also seems the same...throw around the right terms and demonstrate you understand it! At least I will get regular setting visits which will hopefully throw up a number of tips and suggestions for me as I feel isolated where I am (rural area) and if it wasn't for this forum I would feel totally stranded as none of my local cms are interested in getting together.

cheers
ja

venus89
05-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Oh that's a shame about the bursary. They never told us what we had to spend it on, it was said to be for cover and expenses but some people on my course found their nurseries just took the money and didn't pay them for the days off. We just got it as a sum, or as three sums, of money an they never asked us to account for it. For me, it just went into my general pot of money.

I think that for me it gave me more confidence in what I was doing. Childminding is little understood and often undervalued. To me, getting the status meant that I actually was achieving something. It's sad that I didn't feel that way anyway. It was also intended as a stepping stone for me but I got offered work at the Children's Centre before I got the EYPS so it turned out to be unnecessary in that respect.

I'm in the same situation as you, being rural and the only one interested in meeting up. I've been trying for years to run a Childminder's group, nobody's interested. Like you this forum has kep me going (and sane!). Hopefully being part of the network will help you, nothing beats being able to discuss the job with other childminders, online or IRL.

Good luck, ask any questions you like x