PDA

View Full Version : Do childminding assistants have to

TinyTinker
12-10-2010, 08:07 PM
have their 1st aid before you can have them as your assistant?

Because the 1st aid course is free to those registering and free when you are working in the early years setting - so my DH wouldn't get the course free until he is my assistant, but may need it before he's my assistant!:eek:

Chatterbox Childcare
12-10-2010, 08:12 PM
You can have your husband as an assistant, agreed by parents, ofsted and insured but you cannot leave him with the children until he has his first aid

i would get him accepted and then do the first aid course.

When booking the course how would the tutor/early years know whether he was an approved assistant or not?

sarah707
12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
A recent document from Ofsted states that assistants can do school pick ups without having a first aid certificate...

Both childminders and childcare providers on domestic and non-domestic premises must make sure that there is at least one person on the premises with a current first aid certificate at all times that children are present and on all outings. An outing is any time that a child or children leave the premises in the care of the provider, their staff, or in the case of childminders any assistants who we agree may have sole care of children. School pick ups that only involve collecting children from a school and taking them to the provision are not classed as an outing.

However it also clarifies, as Debbie has said...

Where childminders use assistants and we agree those assistants may be left alone with children for short periods of time, then the assistant must also hold a first aid qualification

document 100160 / Aug 2010.

Hth :D

Twinkles
12-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Our la won't give free first aid courses to assistants. Dh had to pay for his own.

A few months later he decided to become a childminder in his own right so would have got it free :rolleyes: :rolleyes: