PDA

View Full Version : Would my parent gets help with costs ?

68nic
12-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Has any childminder's come across this before ? One of my mindees parent works as an Nursery Assistant.She is a single parent who is ever so nice! But she told me today that she doesn't work during the school holiday's as her Nursery shuts till term starts again. As she is on a low wage and Tax Credit pay 80% towards her childcare costs. I would really like to still be paid during the school hols, but I wouldn't want to take any money from her if she hasn't got any of her own coming in, if you know what I mean. Does anyone know if her Tax Credit would still pay her towards my childcare fee even though she wont be working during that week.?:(

aly
12-10-2010, 05:34 PM
yes they still pay her as the child is still taking a place

mummyof3
12-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Would it not depend on what she has told tax credits? One of my parents tells them 39wks at x amount and that's it as she doesn't work school holidays. You might need to check with mum what she has told tax credits. Either way she should be paying to hold the place anyway regardless of whether she gets the money or not.
I know what you mean though I always feel guilty about charging one of my really nice single mums too :blush: :blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
12-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Even though she works term time I believe that their wages are pro rata and paid over the year, so effectively they are working all year and could claim

I am recently told the max one parent can get is £120 per week

68nic
12-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for all your replies :thumbsup: Tomorrow I will ask her if Tax Credit know she will be off work for a week, if they do hopefully she will let them know that she still has to pay for her childs place to stay open for her. So fingers crossed xx

Hebs
12-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Even though she works term time I believe that their wages are pro rata and paid over the year, so effectively they are working all year and could claim

I am recently told the max one parent can get is £120 per week

thats not true, i have 3 single mums who get more than this :thumbsup:

berkschick
12-10-2010, 09:33 PM
One of my Mums gets 80% of her childcare paid and works in a school and I charge her 50% retainer and tax credits still pay her.

68nic
13-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks Berkschick, that sounds rather promising :)

manjay
13-10-2010, 12:17 PM
What they want to know is her child care costs so if she is paying you then she needs to factor that into the average weekly fee she tells them. Tax credits always pay childcare for 4 weeks after care has ended anyway (they would n't be interested in a week off work) so it should only ever affect the summer hols.

clio0602
13-10-2010, 12:20 PM
You get up to 80% of childcare costs up to a maximum amount per child per wk. The cost is averaged for the yr so if they have to pay full fees or retainer in the hols that would be included and an overall amount paid each wk/mnth.

While I was working FT Ds childcare cost £50 wk term time and £150 during hols which was added together and divided by 52 to give the amount then 80% was paid to me weekly by tax credits IYSWIM x

68nic
13-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Well thanks for letting me know that, maybe my parent was hoping to have a little bit of extra spending money during the half-term, cause when i mentioned it she just shrugged her shoulders and said I don't know. She has never suggested to me that she will enquire about it. hmmmm!:rolleyes:

Cammie Doodle
13-10-2010, 05:00 PM
On a slightly different note, I have a Mum of a current mindee who is going on Maternity Leave will she still get her Tax Credits during this time to keep his place with me ?

nicola1981
15-10-2010, 10:32 AM
On a slightly different note, I have a Mum of a current mindee who is going on Maternity Leave will she still get her Tax Credits during this time to keep his place with me ?

Yes.
When i was working i still got tax credits as you are still classed as employed. I found it a great help to still have my child in nursery and after school clubs whilst i was heavily pregnant and suffering with spd.