PDA

View Full Version : OMG MY CAT??

Lou
11-10-2010, 09:03 PM
I have just pulled something out of my cats fur :eek:

He is long haired and there was this thing attached to the fur behind his ear, dont even know how to describe it, looked like a flesh coloured lump but not actually fleshy iykwim.

Hubby pointed it out and i came to look and as i have long nails, pulled it off...:eek:

OMG what do you think it is....looks a little bit sore there now.....but didnt bleed or anything...what do you think it was?

shall i take him to vet tomoz?

HomefromHome
11-10-2010, 09:04 PM
sounds like a tick!

sonia ann
11-10-2010, 09:06 PM
probably a tick

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/cats/health/tick.html

:)

Pauline
Sounds like a tick.

Keep an eye on the wound as it can leave the head behind if you pull it off and it can get infected.

Horrible aren't they, ours has only ever had them after a stay at the vets for an operation, came home with 4 :eek:

gigglinggoblin
If its a tick you might have left the head under his skin, prob best to get it checked

Pauline
LOL we all posted at the same time :laughing::laughing:

are we all itching :D

HomefromHome
11-10-2010, 09:08 PM
lol @ pauline! it's the same when you say NITS or FLEAS!!!!! now i bet you're all itching!!!! :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

Blaze
11-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Agree sounds like a tick - I'd get cat checked morrow & frontlined as frontline deals with ticks & fleas - nasty blighters they are - one of Joseph's friensd had to have a minor op in the summer as one had buried into his back - poor mite!:(
...& yes I'm itching!:laughing:

Lou
11-10-2010, 09:11 PM
OMG it does sound like a tick, I said that to DH and he said no dont be silly...now he has gone to sleep (as has the cat) and i am stressing big time!!!

How do i know if i have left the head in???

And please dont laugh, but when i pulled it off i freaked out a bit and dropped it and now cant find it......

Pauline
11-10-2010, 09:16 PM
OMG it does sound like a tick, I said that to DH and he said no dont be silly...now he has gone to sleep (as has the cat) and i am stressing big time!!!

How do i know if i have left the head in???

And please dont laugh, but when i pulled it off i freaked out a bit and dropped it and now cant find it......

Well I don't want to panic you but ...... try to find it, because if it is still alive it will jump on the next victim it finds!!

My vet said to spray with Frontline and keep an eye for them dropping off as they begin to die, then pick them up by sticking a strip of sellotape over them, then wrap it all in a ball so that it couldn't escape and bin it (outside bin) !

LOOPYLISA
11-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Sounds like a tick , try and find it or it will find it's next victim !!
I was told to squash them with a brick and make sure it's dead !

Pauline
11-10-2010, 09:28 PM
I've now got this vision of Lou on her hands and knees scouring the carpet pile for a tick :laughing:

Lick'le Oakes
11-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I took my Brownie girls on pack holiday this weekend. One girl ended up having to go home because....she had a tick sticking out of her back!!:eek:

Tinglesnark
11-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Next time you spot a tick, put a bob of vaselne over Its body. They breathe through their backs so the vasleline prevents them from breathing and they raise their heads from the flesh and you can remove them easily.
Horrid things! My dad had tick bite fever in Africa - not fun so find the little varmint!
Mind you it can't do much without a head lol!
Diluted tcp on the wound or iodine if you have it x

oh and You don't need a brick but deffo squash it or it will find Its way back to your cat x

ORKSIE
12-10-2010, 06:55 AM
* Shudders*!!!!!

I was told to set light to then with a match:eek:

Mookins
12-10-2010, 07:00 AM
you can try and pry the little nippers open with tweezers but thats if you can do it without the cat scratching your eyes out as they do embed themselves quite deep:eek:

xxx

sweets
12-10-2010, 07:08 AM
this thread is DISGUSTING! lol, think id rather talk about poo than headless ticks running round the carpet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pauline
12-10-2010, 07:10 AM
* Shudders*!!!!!

I was told to set light to then with a match:eek:

I've read that farmers burn ticks backs with a lighted cigarette to make them drop off.

ORKSIE
12-10-2010, 07:24 AM
I've read that farmers burn ticks backs with a lighted cigarette to make them drop off.

Yep Pauline......But sposin you dont smoke:rolleyes: :D

EllaBella
12-10-2010, 07:44 AM

thats right, the burn makes the tick open its "teeth", and then you can get it off you, my mum has a scar on her stomach from a mere tick!!!!

if you just yank the tick off you will leave part of it on you/the animal and this can cause infection xx

babs
12-10-2010, 08:03 AM
omg do ticks go on humans as wellas animals ..:eek: :eek: :eek:

loocyloo
12-10-2010, 08:17 AM
last summer we had a nest of baby ticks somewhere in our garden !!!

one weekend, we all had them ! it was gross.

i spent the next few weeks liberally covering everyone in insect repellant and luckily not a single minded child was 'got'.

you can't get rid of them! and as we are next to the railway and woods, apparently we're stuck with them! but they seemed to vanish!

the cat gets them the occaisonally. a month or so ago we went swimming and DS jumped inthe pool and i thought he had a bite/scab under his arm - no it was a tick! only a baby one. i made him get out and in the changing room i got it out! ( luckily had tweezers with me ) he had been playing in the woods all morning before we went!

yuk!

Blaze
12-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks to this thread I was dreaming of harvest mites (cross between fleas & ticks but red in colour) - I am sooo itchy!:rolleyes:

little chickee
12-10-2010, 06:08 PM
I have a wee gadget that i got from the vet for taking out ticks. You get 2 a big one and a wee one - insert under tick, twist and remove. Really simple and effective.

Only cost a couple of pounds and i recommend everyone to have one in their first aid kit.:thumbsup:

Lou
12-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Sorry if i made everyone itch last night!!!

And Pauline, your image of me crawling round the floor was pretty accurate except i dont have carpet!!!

Well i never found the tick :eek:

I emailed the vet today and they said as long as he is fine in himself just keep an eye on him.

LOOPYLISA
12-10-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a wee gadget that i got from the vet for taking out ticks. You get 2 a big one and a wee one - insert under tick, twist and remove. Really simple and effective.

Only cost a couple of pounds and i recommend everyone to have one in their first aid kit.:thumbsup:

I have one of these :thumbsup: