PDA

View Full Version : Early Years Foundation Degree

Tink
11-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Hi I am thinking of doing the Early Years Foundation Degree which starts in Jan 2011 but was wondering if anyone had done this? and what your thoughts were?
I already have an NVQ level 3 and not sure if I really want to do this or not.
My DD is 2 and I work 5 days a week 8-6 so I am really trying to weigh up the pro's and con's.

Pipsqueak
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Lots of us have done and are doing the FD. Some of us have even gone on to do the BA Hons!

doing the FD is exhausting, time consuming, pressured BUT it is also fun, interesting, inspiring, makes you look closely at your practice and understand WHY things are done, how things are done, gives you confidence to believe in yourself; provision; change things. The pro's to this far outweigh the cons. I have loved doing this higher learning (just starting my Ba Hon's) and can honestly say hand on heart - go for it.:thumbsup:

TammyN
11-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Lots of us have done and are doing the FD. Some of us have even gone on to do the BA Hons!

doing the FD is exhausting, time consuming, pressured BUT it is also fun, interesting, inspiring, makes you look closely at your practice and understand WHY things are done, how things are done, gives you confidence to believe in yourself; provision; change things. The pro's to this far outweigh the cons. I have loved doing this higher learning (just starting my Ba Hon's) and can honestly say hand on heart - go for it.:thumbsup:

i agree it is inspiring and im loving it, just entered my final year, i took the 3yr route to lighten the load! yes it is time consuming but i was lucky to be able to drop a day cm'ing and get funding for it this year to compensate my loss :clapping:
wish you luck with whatever you decide

The Juggler
12-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I agree with Pip it is an amazing learnign experience and has totally changed how I am with children and parents.

However, if you work 5 days a week you'll need lots of support from a partner, friend, family to give you child-free study time at weekends (unless you are a good night=time studier).

But go for it. it's great.x

Polly2
12-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes its lots of work - but sooo worth it - I would say Go for it :thumbsup:

manjay
12-10-2010, 01:49 PM
I agree with everyone too:D

I have just started year 2 and I am loving it. I have cut my workload right back this year so I can study whilst the children are at school and still be Mummy at the weekend but definitely well worth it:thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
12-10-2010, 01:55 PM
i am doing it with the OU.

Its hard work but worth it

mandy xxxxx

Playmate
12-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I started mine 3 weeks ago and already loving it, I have to admit I couldn't have done it when my children were young and working full time, because I'm not a night owl! I'm lucky mine are now older and my hubby covers our business for 1-2 days a week :D

Pixie dust
12-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi

I am doing it too through the OU as I like the flexibilty it gives being able to study when it suits me but it is time consuming and you need support from family. I think it's worth it though.

Pixie dust

MAWI
12-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi
I also started mine a few weeks ago. Not really got to grips with it yet, but I am excited and anxious about it. I have already learnt to look at some aspects of my provision differently. Not quite sure how it will all fit in timewise, but Im sure most people who have done it would say , you just find time.
Im lucky that my hubby will do shopping, ironing and clubs on weekends with my daughters otherwise, there is no way I would have taken it on.
On my tutorial on saturday, the tutor did say that if you have support from family/relatives/friends to lighten the load with your own kids,then generally its manageable.
Hope you go for it:)

nannymcflea
13-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I agree. I'm finding it time consuming (am having a rest from research for 15 mins now!) but fascinating.:thumbsup:

I work 2 days, 1 1/2 days at uni then 1 1/2 days studying.

I have 2 essays, 1 case study and a powerpoint on the go at the mo!:eek:

tashaleee
13-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi I am thinking of doing the Early Years Foundation Degree which starts in Jan 2011 but was wondering if anyone had done this? and what your thoughts were?
I already have an NVQ level 3 and not sure if I really want to do this or not.
My DD is 2 and I work 5 days a week 8-6 so I am really trying to weigh up the pro's and con's.

Im doing mine at the moment and am enjoying it BUT I do find I have to take myself away from my DH and kids to get the time to do it and for me the time management is a struggle.

You need to work out when you would fit the study time in as your LO is very young - do they go to bed early, are they a good sleeper? Is your partner (sorry assuming you have one :blush: ) helpful? Will they take on more to let you study?

If you work 5 days a week Mon-Fri Im guessing you are pretty tired at the moment so how would you feel about literally working all day, putting your LO to bed and then studying for a couple of hours?

You do have deadlines which you have to meet - there are sometimes extensions available but not always guaranteed, depends on your tutor.

Not trying to put you off at all - but some weeks I dont know if Im coming or going and I do have a helpful DH and older kids :blush:

Tink
13-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Thank you for your replies. My daughter is 2 and my husband is very helpful.
Can I ask how much it costs with the OU?
I think this might be a very good option for me as I can't find the time to go to Uni during the week

tashaleee
13-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Thank you for your replies. My daughter is 2 and my husband is very helpful.
Can I ask how much it costs with the OU?
I think this might be a very good option for me as I can't find the time to go to Uni during the week

The OU courses either start (usually I think) in February (finishes October) or October (finishes May). The course I am currently doing was £650ish but depending on your household income you can sometimes get funding towards it or sometimes your LA will pay some of the costs as well (depends where you live on that one though....)

Tink
11-11-2010, 07:04 AM
After thinking long and hard about this I think i'm going to give it a go. I am losing a mindee after Christmas he is going to nursery full time which means I have Monday and Tuesday till 3 to myself, which I can use to do uni work, or that's the plan anyway :laughing:

coreynath07
14-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Has anyone got funding for this who lives in Braintree, essex?

Laura233
17-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Is it only OU that does this or has anyone found anyone else that does it? Saw OU have a start date of Oct 2011 but want to start it before then as think the funding budget will get cut in March?