PDA

View Full Version : help with hubbys laptop please

Mookins
10-10-2010, 04:09 PM
my husbands laptop will not connect to the internet although i can, we have a wirelessrouter etc and he just isnt getting a connection any ideas?

xx

grindal
10-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I had a mad panic at work once when I could not log onto network and discovered the wireless switch on the laptop! Make sure that is turned on first - its next to the normal on off switch on my laptop.

sweets
10-10-2010, 04:19 PM
this happened to me once, i was trying for ages to connect and eventually rang my provider for help, it turned out i had somehow pressed my F2 button which automatically stops any connection :blush: :blush: i was a bit embarrassed as i knew the button was there but didn't think of trying it! lol

something so simple but easily done :)

my F2 button has a little symbol on it like an A

Mookins
10-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I had a mad panic at work once when I could not log onto network and discovered the wireless switch on the laptop! Make sure that is turned on first - its next to the normal on off switch on my laptop.

just had a look and cant see any switches:( thanks anyway

xxx

Mookins
10-10-2010, 04:26 PM
this happened to me once, i was trying for ages to connect and eventually rang my provider for help, it turned out i had somehow pressed my F2 button which automatically stops any connection :blush: :blush: i was a bit embarrassed as i knew the button was there but didn't think of trying it! lol

something so simple but easily done :)

my F2 button has a little symbol on it like an A

right ccheers hun gonna have a try, do we have to press it again?
xx

christine e
10-10-2010, 04:46 PM
You have to press the function (FN) key and then one of the function keys across the top of the keyboard, my older laptop is F2 key but my new one is
F8, once you have pressed it wait a little while before trying anything else otherwise you are switching on and off.

Cx

LOOPYLISA
10-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Mine has this and its located on the front side says wireless on-off :thumbsup: i rang hubs in a panic once then we realised it was this !

sweets
10-10-2010, 04:50 PM
any luck? hope it worked

babs
10-10-2010, 04:56 PM
hubbys does this all time he presses all his keys than freezes it, i just turn it off reboot and he connetcs

sarah707
10-10-2010, 04:57 PM
It depends on the error message.

Sometimes re-starting the wireless by pulling out all the wires in the back (wait 2 mins) and then re-starting it, wait until it's up and then re-start the laptop will solve it.

If not, go to the 'connect to' option from the start menu and see if your wireless is coming up. If it is, disconnect and then try to connect from there.

Have you done anything with your router? Changed the password since your husband last used his laptop perhaps? It might be looking for the wrong thing.

If all that fails, get an ethernet cable and link the laptop directly to the wireless box at the back. Once it's working that way it ought to find the signal wirelessly. If that doesn't work it suggests your laptop is 'turned off' from the internet in some way. I'd say ring a professional on Monday.

If not that's the total of my knowledge on the subject :D

Mookins
10-10-2010, 05:03 PM
all sorted now thanks peeps...omg i thought he was gonna blow a gasket:(

been pressing loads of keys and a friend told me where his wireless switch is(same compiuter)

hubbys says wel done everyone and none of that computer jargon either which was a great help:clapping: :clapping: :D :D

glitzygal
11-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I have this trouble and have to reset my laptop,

1 go to all programs, click
2 got to accessories, click
3 go to system tools click
4 system restore click,
then it goes to continue or cancle,
continue
this sets it back to the system working,
let me know if it works,
good luck