PDA

View Full Version : ratios

Libby08
10-10-2010, 04:09 PM
I am pre-reg and have not been told this by anyone official yet but i have noticed a few threads on here talk about a childminders own children being counted in the numbers when they are at school.
My son is nearly 7 and is at school full time and my daughter is 2 and at home with me, so say if I get registered for 4 children ( I live in a flat so im asuming I wont get 6) that means I could have...
*one child under 1yr and one child over 1yr
or
* two children over 1yr
(Or If I did get reg for 6= no more than 1 under 1 and 3 1-3's? )

Is this right? It makes sense as if my child was sent home sick id be over my numbers, Or could I have an extra child but have someone on call to pick up MY child if sent home sick as I do now when im at work?

Thanks

Pipsqueak
10-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Yes your own children count in your numbers.

So the max total number any one minder can be registered for is 6 under 8's.
So if you have your 2yr old daughter you should be able to have 2 more under 5's and only one of these can be under 1
Your 7yr old will take one of your spaces for the 5-8yr old age group leaving that you can have 2 more in that age group.

once your 7yr old turns 8 - let ofsted know and they can amend your certificate to reflect that you can have an extra one in that latter age group

bear in mind that providing you have a certain clause on your certificate - children who are age 4 but in full time education can be classed as 5yr old for ratio purposes.

It is possible to have a varition to alter your numbers but this has to be applied for
Ratios are worked out on available space so you may or may not have what I have quoted.

The reason why your children still count in your numbers is for school holidays/inset days/and sick days. and no I am afraid it doesn't work that way having someone else for your children - at the end of the day they will count in your numbers as you are ultimately responsible for them

of course you are not just limited to 2 children under the age of 5 - say you had child x and y ages 2 and 3 on Mon/Wed/Thursday on Tuesday and Friday you could have children a and b age 1 and 2.
Hope that makes sense.

sonia ann
10-10-2010, 04:58 PM
under Ofsted you can be registered for a maximum of 6 children under 8yrs, of these no more than 3 can be under 5yrs and no more than 1 under 1yr, your own children under the age of 8yrs must be included in these numbers

so if your own children are 7 and 2yrs, you could have 4 children ...... ............2 aged 5-8yrs and 2 under 5yrs :)

you may be registered for less if your flat is small

sorry pip didn't see your answer :blush:

samb
11-10-2010, 09:35 PM
I have a 2 and 5 year old and live in a flat and am registered for 2 (so am allowed 4 including my own). Hope that helps.