PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about 15mth old development

cas2805
01-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi, not sure if I should be concerned or not, so just want some advice.

DS is 16mths (W), mindees are 15mths (Z) and 17mths (S) (all boys& Z&S are on different days) and I know I shouldn't compare them but...

15 month old, just sits there, bump shuffles or crawls if needs to. Went to music time this morning and Z just sat there on my lap whilst W explored. Z refuses to clap his hands and I am sure W has been doing this for about 3-4 months. The only smile that I got was during the hokey kokey!

This is concerning me as he is with me 2 days a week and at nursery for the other 3 days, surely they do music time and encourage him there? We have been to music time about 4-5 times now, so I don't think he is just shy. Should I mention this and how?

RainbowMum
01-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I would ask Nursery what he is like there (with parents permission) but some children do not like big groups. I have a 17 month old not yet walking while some have walked at 10 & 11 months. Note what you've seen & carry on going 3-4 weeks isn't long for some children to settle.

cas2805
01-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Nursery aren't local to me, near Mums work. I did ask to see a copy of his diary and obs, which I have read but it is so basic. They just pick one item eg eating custard with a spoon!!! Nothing said about group interation.

PS he has been with me since March and not much development since then:(

Zoomie
01-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Practice singing / movements with him at home and see how he is after a few weeks.

Some children don't like group settings and 'shut down' :(

venus89
01-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I agree, make it a thing to plan for and observe, try music at home, different types of music, letting him explore making sounds in a structured and unstructured fashion.

What's his social interaction like generally?

catswhiskers
01-10-2010, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't worry - a 15 month old is still taking everything in and prob just wants to look at everything going on around him.

I've had a few like this in the past and got a bit embarrassed about how little they were doing e.g. clapping, moving, but now I just go with the flow and don't worry about it.

He will prob be the most vocal child in six months time!

cas2805
02-10-2010, 02:09 PM
That's what I don't understand, surely he should be ok in a griup setting if he goes to a private nursery 3 days a week? I am concerned that they don't interact with him!:(

Ripeberry
02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Practice singing / movements with him at home and see how he is after a few weeks.

Some children don't like group settings and 'shut down' :(

My mindee is like this, always has been since I've known him. He does get good days when he will join in and others he will not move off my lap.

My eldest daughter when she was about 18 months old used to get up and stand in the corner and watch everyone when I used to take her to music circle. Felt like I was doing the class for her :(

She is still shy in group situations, especially at school. But will talk to any stranger about anything :rolleyes:

Helcatt
02-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I have a boy of a similar age to the one you are looking after and he is just the same. He's with me two days a week and with mum or dad the rest of the time

I ahve noticed that he really doesn't like large group settings and can get very upset in them. Also, during circle time, will often just watch and looks bored

I have noticed that he seems very slow to pick things up - as in, takes his time. He studies it very carefully and then takes ages to put his hand out to touch it etc etc and I worreid about that too, for a while, then decided that its just the way he is. THis can be very frustrating when I am trying to ahnd out a banana though!

HX