PDA

View Full Version : how to organise the learning journeys

kats
28-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi, can anybody tell me if the way i have organised my learning journeys will be ok with ofsted i have split them into the 6 areas of learning and i put my obs, photos next steps etc in the appropriate section, is there anyone who has been told by ofsted that this way is ok??

miss mopple
28-09-2010, 08:22 PM
You can set it out any way you like.

Personally I prefer to do it in date order rather than the 6 areas. I tried that and it just didnt work for me as so many obs cover more than one area and I was permanently cross referencing

There is no right or wrong way. Find what works for you and you'll be fine :thumbsup:

allison
28-09-2010, 10:11 PM
hi,
i found date order the best for me as well :)

kats
29-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Thankyou :)

sarah707
29-09-2010, 08:45 PM
I do my obs and planning by the week, then file it all monthly so that each month has...

A photo obs

Another series of obs and next steps (usually not always)

Individual planning

Comments from parents / other settings / notes to remember etc.

Then I start the next month :D

kats
29-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks Sarah, so does that mean that the learning journey is set out month by month until the child leaves? would you say that way is easier to track where the child is up to in terms of learning and development rather than the way i have been doing it which is spliting it into the 6 areas.

Thanks for your help :)

naomiesian
01-10-2010, 06:03 PM
I do the same as sarah and then I have a tracking grid as well so I can keep track of where the child is in the 6 area`s.
xxx

karensmart4
01-10-2010, 07:40 PM
I do the same as sarah and then I have a tracking grid as well so I can keep track of where the child is in the 6 area`s.
xxx

I do this as well :D

kats
01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I think i will try this way of doing it, do you think it would be ok to change to this way but use the same file and leave what i have already done under the 6 areas followed by this way of setting it out?? and can i ask are the tracking grids the learning and development eyfs grids with the ages down the side?? sorry to be thick, there is so much that i find confusing:blush:

funfunfun
01-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Myn are in date order ...........

Have the assesmnet sheets then the obs indiviual planning after that .

I think i do too many obs ............can you do too many obs i dont know ??

wellybelly
02-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I have a lever arch file with 5 dividers

1) Parents information
2) Planning
3) Assessment (copies of development matters)
4) Communication with other settings (newsletters, communication logs, consent to share information etc)
5) Observations - photographic, written statements, art work etc (in date order, starting with most recent first)

buildingblocks
27-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I know someone who did theirs in areas of development and got an outstanding so i guess it may depend on your inspector but so long as it shows everything it should do I don't think it will matter.

Personally mine is in date order so as something is done it goes into the folder. This works for me (I am slightly OCD I think and like everything in order and lists lol) I had considered the areas of learning but as someone has said because it would cover more than one thing than it would frustrate me I think

mama2three
27-10-2010, 10:08 AM
it will be fine to change over the way if you want too , Mrs O will see this as improving your practice ( make sure you mention it in your sef!) - just make sure that parents / other settings / ofsted can follow it.
But if your system is working for you and you can show progression then theres no reason to change:)

Cammie Doodle
27-10-2010, 07:58 PM
xxx

Hi can I be really cheeky and ask what tracking grid do you use?

Chatterbox Childcare
27-10-2010, 08:53 PM
I used to do mine in areas of learning but found that the obs covered all of them so now everything is together in alphabetical order and only my sheets showing where they are are in the areas of learning

Does that make sense? :D

selena 31
27-10-2010, 09:12 PM
having worked in several settings they all have done the books different i have come to the conclusion that there is no wrong or right way as long as you are monotoring and exending the child learning and development!
I as a child minder have opted to do mine in the 6 areas only as i felt this was great to see areas to work on and the setting i work part time in does this and we got outstanding so i guess anyway is good as long as your covering what you should and it works for you!:D

KAZBAZ55
21-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I do mine in date order but i'm interested how you do them in the 6 areas. How do you do it when a lot of obs actually cover most of the 6 areas? Do you just put it in the area it most relates to? Help......

Thanks
karen x:( :(

nessynoodle
22-01-2011, 01:25 PM
My development worker has just been and said Ofsted like to see the 6 areas..and then the aspect too, eg. PSE - Self care...so you pin point the exact area. However I also think that every activity comes under each area and you could write so much!! So do I repeat the same Observation in each section writing how it links to that particular area, or do I just focus on the one area?

I had done mine differently and am now stressing about changing it all. I like the idea of doing it this way and I would then organise each section in date order. The only thing I dislike about the idea is as you look through one section starting at say aged 20 months and by the end the child is 30 months and then yoou move to the other section and your back to 20 months again.....does that make sense? At least if its in date order is easy to follow. But I guess the idea is the parents see it every 3 months and add comments, so when it next goes home they just skip straight to the relevant date.

Sorry I have just rambled on, its a saturday and I'm working....it hurts my head!

x

kats
22-01-2011, 02:34 PM
A friend of mine has just had her ofsted inspection, she had her files set out under the 6 areas of learning, she was told by the inspector that it isnt the way to do it and that the areas of learning are not the first thing she wants to see, she said she wants to see it in date order so that the childs development is the first thing to see with a link at the side of it to whichever area of learning it relates to, it seems to me that it all depends on what each individual inspector prefers, its about time they told us once and for all how they ALL want the learning journeys set out then we would all know where we are up to!! :panic:

keeks
22-01-2011, 03:01 PM
A friend of mine has just had her ofsted inspection, she had her files set out under the 6 areas of learning, she was told by the inspector that it isnt the way to do it and that the areas of learning are not the first thing she wants to see, she said she wants to see it in date order so that the childs development is the first thing to see with a link at the side of it to whichever area of learning it relates to, it seems to me that it all depends on what each individual inspector prefers, its about time they told us once and for all how they ALL want the learning journeys set out then we would all know where we are up to!! :panic:

That would just be so wonderful - my teacher colleague always says "I'll happily play the game if they just give me one set of rules". Just as all inspectors have their way of seeing things so do we, and I honestly think that if you are sure you are following the EYFS then stick to your guns whatever the inspector says. Explain to him/her why you choose to do what you do I think many of them would back down.

I have just started and thinking to do my LJ's in date order but having a section at the back with "wow" notes within the 6 areas of learning. I'm quite excited about interpreting the curriculum my way and I think an inspector would have to have some very good arguments to make me want to change a system that works for me.

xxx

kats
22-01-2011, 03:05 PM
i like the idea of the wow moments under the areas of learning at the back, might pinch that idea :)