PDA

View Full Version : Contents and building insurance

eviesnanny
28-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Is it just contents insurance we need to change?

sarah707
28-09-2010, 05:28 PM
No, you need to be covered for buildings and contents.

You might find it cheaper if you buy them together :D

catlyn
07-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Hiya,,,,first post so be gentle please :) I am in the process of registering and my CRB is currently on stage 4, the question i want to ask is ...my home and contents insurance are due for renewal on 10th oct...do i need special insurance as a chilminder or can i accept my renewal quote? Thanks for any help

sarah707
08-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Hiya,,,,first post so be gentle please :) I am in the process of registering and my CRB is currently on stage 4, the question i want to ask is ...my home and contents insurance are due for renewal on 10th oct...do i need special insurance as a chilminder or can i accept my renewal quote? Thanks for any help

you do need to change your insurance so that it shows you are a childminder and still insured for accidental damage.

Some companies charge extra for this and some refuse to give childmidners accidental damage so you should check.

however you don't have to do this until you have your Ofsted certificate in your hand... and before you start working.

So if there might be a delay you could wait... or spend the free time you have now shopping around.

It's up to you :D

PS we are always gentle! :waving:

rickysmiths
08-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi there. I have been insured with Churchill for years. However in the last couple of years they have not covered me for Accidental Damage with regard to the Minded chiledren. They cover me and my family though.

I don't find this a problem though because I have a £100 excess, a mindee would have to break or cause damage of more than this value to make it worthwhile making a claim.

I can honestly say in 17yrs of childminding I have never had anything approaching this value broken or damaged. The only time a mindee (12yrs old) deliberately damaged a £30 reference book belonging to my ds who had leant ot to her to use for homework. I gave the bill for a new book to her mother. The only other things that break are because of excessive use or old age and most of these are individually well under £100 and are covered by the 10% Wear and Tear Allowance.

We all have to Risk Assess to the nth degree, we make our houses and gardens child safe maybe we need to do a Risk Assessment to calculate the risk of needing to make and Accidental Claim.

It would be interesting to hear stories of any of you have had to make such claims, I don't think I have ever seen a thread about one? Anyone Claimed?