PDA

View Full Version : First day minding today.

lady boss
07-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Hello everyone,

Well today was my first day minding 8yr old girl and all went smoothly.:)
My daughter really enjoyed her company and they got on really well.
We did some painting & drawing most of the morning and then went for a nice walk, followed by some fun exercises ( world health day )

My only concern was that she has asthma, and her mother said that she administers her own inhaler, today she was quite wheezy ( So calmed down on the exercises) When i asked her if she had her inhaler she said no because she only has it at certain times of the day. I am concerned that she may have an attack and hasnt got her inhaler with her!!!
I raised the issue with her mother but she just said she doesnt need it whilst she's with me?! :panic:
Wouldnt someone with asthma carry inhaler at all times? x

Pudding Girl
07-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Yes she should have one, what if she had an asthma attack at yours?

I would actually refuse to care for an asthmatic child if I didn't have the inhalers there too, I know that may seem harsh, but these things can get very serious very quickly. What on earth is the mum thinking?!!

Anyway, glad you have had a nice time :)

lady boss
07-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi,

Yes this is what im really concerned about!! I was really starting to panic as she seemed to be getting very wheezy. I approached mother and she just said yes i notice she is getting more wheezy lately! I only have her for 4hours but an attack can happen anytime. Thanks for your advice x

sarah707
07-04-2008, 06:57 PM
As my 12 year old ds (who is poking his head over my shoulder) says... of course she should have her inhaler. All the time!

I've trained him well! :D

Pudding Girl
07-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Maybe worth a phone call tongiht asking parent to get hold of an extra inhaler to leave at yours ( labelled of course) and to provide you with one while waiting for it. You HAVE to cover yourself hon.

lady boss
07-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Absolutely, you certainly have trained him well. I wish my mindee's mother was as on the ball!!
I really should have said that i wont mind without it, what do you suggest i do in the morning? x

crazybones
07-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I suggest you blame your insurance and say you must have an inhaler or something in writing from the parent if she wont give you one.

lady boss
07-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks Lou..Your absolutely right. I best go and make the call. Thank you x

Pudding Girl
07-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I suggest you blame your insurance and say you must have an inhaler or something in writing from the parent if she wont give you one.

lol I like that, yeah just say that ^^^

lady boss
07-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Sorted...Phoned mother and she will bring one in the morning. Thanks Girls x

Minnie Minx
07-04-2008, 07:34 PM
glad you had a nice first day (apart from dotty mother of course).

xxx

crazybones
07-04-2008, 07:34 PM
That great. :thumbsup: Glad its sorted.

tinkerbell_85
08-04-2008, 08:48 AM
can't believe she didnt give you one straight away! asthma may look common and not so serious but can be fatal if not treated when needed.

glad you got it all sorted. xxx

chels55
08-04-2008, 09:43 AM

I agree blame your insurance say you wont be covered. The doctor would be happy to perscibe another inhaler, maybe it will never be used but you cant be too sure

Pudding Girl
08-04-2008, 09:43 AM
oh good, you got it sorted hope she remembers it :)

Mollymop
08-04-2008, 09:45 AM
As the others have said, she should defo have her inhailer with her at all times, after all, know one knows when she may have an attack.
I hope you get it sorted with mum, and I am glad you have a great first day!!!

miffy
08-04-2008, 07:44 PM
I can't believe mum didn't think her child needed an inhaler when she's with you!!!

Pleased you got it sorted out and that the minding is going well

miffy xx

Twinkles
08-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Glad you had a good first day. Well done, first problem sorted :thumbsup:

breezy
08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I've found in the short time I've been minding that the parents are a lot more trouble than the kids,
but she was putting her child at serious risk, unbelievable!