PDA

View Full Version : EYFS changes

juejue
25-09-2010, 09:06 PM
My friend was in a meeting on Monday and the were talking about EYFS. They said it is getting reviewed, there is going to be some changes . Has anyone heard about it ?

Mookins
25-09-2010, 09:10 PM
i know there were talks about it being scrapped but that i think has ben knocked on the head now

xx

Pixie dust
25-09-2010, 09:14 PM
The goverment are reviewing the EYFS, there was a site where you could say what you thought about the EYFS but I think it may have closed now. The general thought is that EYFS is here to stay but maybe a few minor tweaks.

Pipsqueak
25-09-2010, 09:18 PM
I think the consultation is still open for a few more days.

The 'evidence' is being gathered, it will be reviewed 2012 so nothing is going to happen before then at the very earliest. Then they will have to twiddle and tweak.

I think early indicators show that practitioners are happy with it in the main.

i cannot see them scrapping it in entirely - it would be a huge waste of money for a start and then they would have to come up with something else instead.

Helcatt
25-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Our network co-ordinator was saying something about this. Mostly because from what she had heard (don't know how) thye were saying it was getting good feedback but they are starting to realise just how much work it is for a childminder working on their own so there might be a not (quite so) stringent version for CMs in the future

Though I could be talking out of my blow hole here

HX

Beetlejuice
26-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Bascially it was up for review this year which ever party was in power so that was always on the cards. I believe the consultation closes on 30th. I went to a NCMA regional policy forum the other week and we had a big discussion about it and our views were being fed into the consultation. :thumbsup: Just hope they listen to us - though the changes (if any) won't be in force until 2012.

Beetlejuice
26-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Our network co-ordinator was saying something about this. Mostly because from what she had heard (don't know how) thye were saying it was getting good feedback but they are starting to realise just how much work it is for a childminder working on their own so there might be a not (quite so) stringent version for CMs in the future

Though I could be talking out of my blow hole here

HX

That's what we said at the policy forum. We were all in favour of EYFS because professionally it puts us on a level playing field with pre-schools and nurseries but the volume of stuff we are expected to produce is extreme for childminders as the majority of us are working alone. A watered down amount of paperwork would be the best outcome!!:D

caz3007
26-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I would also like a more clear indicator of what we do have to do, and that it is right across the board. I was picked up on individual planning and given it as an action, yet another minder I know does no planning and said it wasnt mentioned at her inspection, which was only a couple of months before mine, it does seem to depend on who inspects you and my inspector didnt mention it at my inspection but rang me the next day, to tell me of the action

Beetlejuice
26-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I would also like a more clear indicator of what we do have to do, and that it is right across the board. I was picked up on individual planning and given it as an action, yet another minder I know does no planning and said it wasnt mentioned at her inspection, which was only a couple of months before mine, it does seem to depend on who inspects you and my inspector didnt mention it at my inspection but rang me the next day, to tell me of the action

Yes that was another thing raised at our policy forum. Some sort of standardisation of what IS expected and we said that the problem with Ofsted inspections is that each inspector has a different 'thing' that they are hot on - so whilst one inspector may have a thing about planning, another may not be as bothered about it so two different minders will get two different lots of feedback even if they are doing the same thing. There needs to be a consistent approach to inspections and what they are expecting to see.

christine e
26-09-2010, 03:11 PM
My support childminder co ordinator was telling me recently that new childminders are not able to get hold of the EYFS booklets due to the review so how can they be inspected?

Think you can still download it but it is not the same as having a hard copy to work from

Cx

v 1461
26-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Hello,

My childminder co ordinator told us that from 2012 there might not be any EYFS anymore as it is not working. She said " quietly" that if we are not due for an inspection in the next 2 years not to bother with the all thing ( planning , obs,.....).
Unfortunately I am due this year!!!!!
v

juejue
26-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Hello,

My childminder co ordinator told us that from 2012 there might not be any EYFS anymore as it is not working. She said " quietly" that if we are not due for an inspection in the next 2 years not to bother with the all thing ( planning , obs,.....).
v

This is what my other childminder friend was told from her childminer co- ordinator.
Cant wait for our's to come back been of for 5 weeks sick .......need to find out for sure. Not doing paper work if I dont have to :blush:

LisaMcNally09
26-09-2010, 05:08 PM
This is what my other childminder friend was told from her childminer co- ordinator.
Cant wait for our's to come back been of for 5 weeks sick .......need to find out for sure. Not doing paper work if I dont have to :blush:

I wouldnt not do paperwork until an official announcement from ofsted. At the end of the day its not your network coordinator that will get the problems if EYFS stays (which reading between the lines it will) it will be the childminders not following the EYFS or with major gaps in their paperwork.

IMO the EYFS is a fantastic tool if used to its potential to help us support the children in our care.:D

juejue
26-09-2010, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=LisaMcNally09;787340]I wouldnt not do paperwork until an official announcement from ofsted. At the end of the day its not your network coordinator that will get the problems if EYFS stays (which reading between the lines it will) it will be the childminders not following the EYFS or with major gaps in their paperwork.

IMO the EYFS is a fantastic tool if used to its potential to help us support the children in our care.:D[/QUOT

I think it's 50/50 on the EYFS. Some do ....some don't like it

I did ok before the Eyfs came out. Do the same things with the mindess now as I did before it all came out.... only thing now is I have to file it all, have more files everywhere and more paper work to do.

I have always supported the children in my care. Plus half of my mums are not
bothered about the files they have to look at.....as long as their child is happy .....That's all that's matters to them they said .

Pipsqueak
26-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Hello,

v

Gosh, a co-ordinator said that? I wouldn't follow that 'advice', as Lisa explains in another post on here, its not her who will get into bother if her theory goes pear shaped. I find that quite shocking that she is actively encouraging people to actually break the law.

i agree with Lisa - EYFS is a fantastic tool and I for one enjoy it. There does need to be some tweaks here and there though and perhaps more clarification and level thinking across what is expected (via Ofsted).

sarah707
26-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Hello,

v

I wonder if she would break the law if it was her business and grading at stake?

Silly woman with silly advice. :panic:

I would strongly recommend that everyone does what the law tells us to do until the law is changed and we are told otherwise! :D

v 1461
26-09-2010, 07:52 PM
sarah,

have you heard anything about it??
I will continue as I want my next inspection to be as good as I can. The things I wouldn't mind stopping if I could would be all the written ( formal) risk assessment, and the planning.
the learning journey is a great thing.
v

sarah707
26-09-2010, 08:51 PM
No I haven't heard anything beyond the initial results of the consultation which seems to suggest that everything is fine and everyone pretty much likes the Eyfs!

It goes on until 30 Sept - I thought it was finished! It's been a long day :o

Here's the link -

http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1727&external=no&menu=1

:D

Paula1974
28-09-2010, 01:11 PM
My early years advisor told me that the EYFS is only going to be tweaked.

wellybelly
28-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I beleive the EYFS has raised our profiles as childminders and I'm all for it. I do agree that in certain parts a set standard of what is required is needed but I'm proud to deliver it for my children in my setting.

Carol M
28-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Yes that was another thing raised at our policy forum. Some sort of standardisation of what IS expected and we said that the problem with Ofsted inspections is that each inspector has a different 'thing' that they are hot on - so whilst one inspector may have a thing about planning, another may not be as bothered about it so two different minders will get two different lots of feedback even if they are doing the same thing. There needs to be a consistent approach to inspections and what they are expecting to see.
Sounds like you were at the same forum as me ?
Carol xx

suki
29-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi all
My registration came through at the start of the month - have no mindees at the moment but have fingers crossed.

My development officer visited me last week and said that the EYFS is going to be simplified - I`m hoping so as everyone (course leader, development officer and ofsted) all seem to be constantly contradicting one another :censored: