PDA

View Full Version : Is this a potential brick wall?

TinyTinker
24-09-2010, 06:35 PM
I had an information session with the local childminding network coordinator today......was all great help, but I found out something i wish I hadn't heard now!

She said that my local council require planning permission for childminding and they only ever let you have 6 no matter what Ofsted say:eek:

I am going to be registered with my hubby as an assistant so we were both planning on making our incomes from this....Ofsted allow you to have more mindees with an assistant - BUT that makes no difference to the council!:angry:

now what do i do:(

Mouse
24-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I would check it out yourself with your local council planning department. Network co-ordinators don't always get it right ;)

Also, find out if other minders in the area have more children than that. I'm sure there must be others.

tulip0803
24-09-2010, 09:26 PM
My local council will only allow 6 if you registered after a certain year otherwise you need planning permission. This was an improvement as when I first moved here they only allowed 6 people in & out the house so as a family of 5 I could care for 1 child:eek: :panic: . It does not matter if there are minders without restrictions that have registered before you it is purely down to the rules when you personally register and if the local planning rules have changed I'm afraid you have to live with it, attempt to challenge it or apply for planning permission for change of use. If the rules change more favourabley then the FIS/NCMA/Network co-ordiantor or someone writes to let you know & you can apply for your reg to be amended, they did this here when they got rid of that ridiculous rule due to lack of minders.

I had to fill in a form to give to the planning department to get an answer from them. I am registered for 5 under 8 because of DD2 and on planning I can only have 1 over 8 total of 6.

If you are registering with an assistant you will not always be allowed more children over-all, you may be able to have all 6 in early-years but not go over the 6. This would allow you to stay in the planning regs & have 6 full-time spaces thus earning more money IYSWIM.

Best to speak to planning & your registering body to make sure. If you are limited to 6 you can apply for change of use and all that goes with it:( . My inspector also has it on record that I can only care for 6 due to planning.

miffy
24-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I would check it out yourself with your local council planning department. Network co-ordinators don't always get it right ;)

Also, find out if other minders in the area have more children than that. I'm sure there must be others.

I agree - don't assume she's correct, check it out yourself.

Miffy xx