PDA

View Full Version : Late Pickups.

Maureen75
23-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi, not been on here for a while but I need a bit of advice please.
I have a child who is contracted until 5.30pm. Mum was late the other day and didn't phone til 5.50ish to say she was running late and would be here by 6pm. She offered a quick apology then acted as though it was perfectly ok for her to do this. Was told today that she's going to be late again tomorrow, she didn't even ask if it was ok with me first! I had already pointed out that I understand that sometimes being late is unavoidable but that I do plan to do things with my own family and therefore need some notice if possible. I don't want to upset things but I don't want her to think it's ok to change the pick-up time as and when suits her without hardly any notice or even asking if its convenient. Should I leave it this time, but if she does it again say something, or should I make my position very clear now. Have only been minding lo for 4 weeks.

carol cameron
23-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I have found that if I respond with something like "oh so who will be picking X up at 5.30pm ?" sometimes stops parents assuming that I can cover the extra time. It depends on how thick skinned they are, sometimes you have to be very clear and ask if they want to book an extra hour (or whatever) and tell them how much it will cost. It really depends on if you want to work the extra time but you definately need to nip it in the bud. Good luck with it:)

Millenium
23-09-2010, 11:08 AM
It is important to nip it in the bud as soon as possible as the longer it goes on, the parent will come to expect it and you will get more and more frustrated with the situation.

Putting aside the fact that you might be planning to go out shortly after the contracted pick-up time, do you have a clear policy for charging early drop offs and late pick ups - I do and it tends to ensure good time keeping by the parents.

wendywu
23-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Change her contract to 6pm as she needs childcare until that time. :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
23-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Tell her you have just been reminded that you have plans tomorrow evening and need to leave as soon as LOs session ends at 5.30pm, so unfortunately she cannot be late. If she needs as longer session you can change her contracted hours with 4 weeks notice.

Maureen75
23-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit stuck for tomorrow now but if it happens again then I'll have to remind her that contracted hours are til 5.30 and anything later is only by request, and that I can decline if it's not convenient. I think that in my haste (she was my first enquiry) I said that I would be able to do the odd day here and there a bit later. I did not expect it to be such short notice though!

onceinabluemoon
23-09-2010, 05:36 PM
I had already pointed out that I understand that sometimes being late is unavoidable but that I do plan to do things with my own family and therefore need some notice if possible.

I think this is your problem..

You haven't asked parents to ask if you can do it, you've asked them to give you notice of what they will do if possible (ie if they can be bothered...)

You need to be more proactive and tell them they cannot do it without prior arrangement and that they need to discuss their needs with you to see if you can accommodate them. You need to be the boss (and yep that is sometimes hard, lol!) Good luck x

The Juggler
24-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit stuck for tomorrow now but if it happens again then I'll have to remind her that contracted hours are til 5.30 and anything later is only by request, and that I can decline if it's not convenient. I think that in my haste (she was my first enquiry) I said that I would be able to do the odd day here and there a bit later. I did not expect it to be such short notice though!

next time she says it, just say sorry I have plans tonight. Do this next couple of times and she should get the hint. If she then stops telling you and just calls when she's late, tell her that she will either have to arrange with you in advance or arrange for others to collect (as someone else said).

Tell her as this means you'll probalby have to cancel plans there will be a charge of £x/hour for these occasions. Something high to put her off;)