PDA

View Full Version : Any Husband and Wife teams out there??

MAWI
22-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi All

Just wanted to pick your brains. Has anyone become a husband and wife team? If so what are the perks and disadvantages in reality.

My hubby is due to be made redundant next year and we are considering pairing up. Up unitl now I have been very lucky and I am full and even got interest for next september. ( so can see me being really busy anyway)

I can see lots of positives such as more income ( obviously), a male role model for the children ( Hubby is very good at painting and typical boy stuff)

I can also see negatives: parents may not want men around their children , Visiting places becomes more of a challenge, more permissions etc.. and the right transport.

I would just like an honest viewpoint from anyone who does work as husband and wife.

Also I presume that Hubby only really needs to do the First Aid course if he were to be s my assistant?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts

:) :)

Chatterbox Childcare
22-09-2010, 01:13 PM
My DH and I are just starting to work together as I am so busy so he is leaving his job next week to come and work with me.

I am able to leave him with the children and we had to have written parental permission and he is doing his first aid course. Only other part that needs doing is an Employers Liability Certificate from your insurance company, even if they are not paid assistants.

You don't have to wait until next year you can get the ball rolling now and ask Ofsted for more numbers and they will state on your certificate "when working with an assistant you can have .........."

angeldelight
22-09-2010, 10:26 PM
A few on here so bumping this up

Angel xx

Tink
23-09-2010, 06:16 AM
I'm just waiting for my ammended certificate.
My DH is superb with the children and all parents love him, no one has ever questioned him working with me. When the older boys come home from school he is out in the garden playing and he really joines in.
I love having him here with me:D

funfunfun
23-09-2010, 04:20 PM
My partner is registered as my assistant but i havnt taken on that many children that i need an assistant .

However he is around the children all the time .....they absolutally love him tbh ........parents know he is here they meet him as well as me when they come to visit . The fact that he is here doesnt seem to bother them at all .

As long as the children are happy and well cared for it doesnt matter to them .

funfunfun
23-09-2010, 04:33 PM
My DH and I are just starting to work together as I am so busy so he is leaving his job next week to come and work with me.

I am able to leave him with the children and we had to have written parental permission and he is doing his first aid course. Only other part that needs doing is an Employers Liability Certificate from your insurance company, even if they are not paid assistants.

You don't have to wait until next year you can get the ball rolling now and ask Ofsted for more numbers and they will state on your certificate "when working with an assistant you can have .........."

Can i ask ...........If i use my assitant who is OH do i have to pay him .....does he have to register as self emloyed ??

Chatterbox Childcare
23-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Mine is being self employed and we are splitting the profits

or

he could work for love but that way you wouldn't get the benefit of his tax allowance

Call the IR if you want full clarification on this

funfunfun
23-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Im sure he would for love Debbie :laughing:

Thankyou again ............al give them a call tmoz

TheBTeam
23-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I worked with my husband for two years as a registered assistant and we split the profits and i had an employers liaibility cert for him. For the past two and a bit years he has been registered in his own right and has his own unit 1 and first aid etc, it works well with us two and we have not had parents saying of problems with a man around their child, in fact we have had very positive comments.

From a safeguarding yourself point of view, recently we have been asked to take on a reception age girl and this is from a school that my husband does the collections, and it made us think that to protect him we would only consider it because we are already taking and collecting a couple of boys, i do not think it is wise to have him alone in a car with a girl, purely to protect him from any risk of allegation.

We have had one mum say they would not choose a male childminder who works on their own, but they love the husband and wife set up.

Good Luck with it, if you want to know anything else please feel free to ask!

MAWI
24-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Many Thanks for all your replies ladies.

@ Debbie- just wondering about you said you could leave the children with your husband. Would this be for school run etc... or only in an emergency?

I would want the advantage of not having to take all the children with me on the school run, so would I be able to leave him for half an hour with 3 children? for example ( with parents permission)

I think all feedback is positive and we will definatley do it in the new year.

@ The BTeam- Totally understand what your saying about the school pick ups. That is what I was worried about, that sort of thing. Although all my current parents would love to see the change, you have to safeguard yourself for any future problems.

So, just to clarify, please could someone confirm,all I would have to do is:

Contact Ofsted and change certificate
Pay Employers Liability Insurance
Hubby goes on First Aid Course ( Paediatrics)

Many Thanks Ladies , dont know what Id do without this forum:)

geordiebunny
30-09-2010, 03:08 AM
My husband is my volunteer registered assistant, was just for trips and things really as havent increased my numbers (yet). He was unemployed and even though he looks at jobs says that he doesnt think he would be able to leave the children now as he will miss them too much and he is very involved with them including the potty training of a little boy who doesnt have a man at home and his mum is happy for this, as are all the other parents. Actually most of the children prefer him to me. Cant believe I havent killed him either being together for 24 hours a day for the past 12 months.

rachelmama
04-01-2011, 08:56 PM
hi
My hubby and I are going to work together xx My worry was that he would give up his fulltime job. and how much income would come in so i can cover bills, morgage ,etc so i can understand u may have concerns ad wont advice from other cm xx
good luck i hope it goes well for u xx

melfish
05-01-2011, 03:05 PM
My hub is a registered CM but we don't have the numbers yet for him to stop work and come and work with me. I am looking forward to it cos I think it will make life much easier - always someone there when you go to the loo, help with loading and unloading. Problems may arise with transport, we might have to get a massive people carrier....

melfish
05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
I mean someone to stay with the children when you go to the loo, obviously I don't need assistance with that

Chatterbox Childcare
05-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Many Thanks for all your replies ladies.

@ Debbie- just wondering about you said you could leave the children with your husband. Would this be for school run etc... or only in an emergency?

I would want the advantage of not having to take all the children with me on the school run, so would I be able to leave him for half an hour with 3 children? for example ( with parents permission)

I think all feedback is positive and we will definatley do it in the new year.

@ The BTeam- Totally understand what your saying about the school pick ups. That is what I was worried about, that sort of thing. Although all my current parents would love to see the change, you have to safeguard yourself for any future problems.

So, just to clarify, please could someone confirm,all I would have to do is:

Contact Ofsted and change certificate
Pay Employers Liability Insurance
Hubby goes on First Aid Course ( Paediatrics)

Many Thanks Ladies , dont know what Id do without this forum:)

You need to have a CRB for him or he cannot be left alone aswell as written parental permission

My hubby does everything I do and I leave him when I do school runs or vica versa - we do have to take some children with us to stay within our numbers

Highly recommended

wendywu
05-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Talk to Twinkles, her and DH work together as partners.

On the other hand one of our other friends who was joined by DH said it was the biggest mistake she ever made.
He is convinced his way is the only way, and she hates being with him all the time. So be warned :laughing:

mum2two
05-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Me & my DH work together, and have done for the last 2 and a half years.

We are full, and the parents love the fact that there is a man around too (seeing as the majority are boys!).

He does all the games in the fields & woods, whilst I keep an eye on everyone, and take the pics! He's great for all the silly boyish rough & tumble stuff!

He registered in his own rights, to access all the training available, and we are both doing the foundation degree together.

I have one lot of accounts, and then split the profits, to make use of both our tax free allowances!

We have 2 seven seater cars, so we are still able to go out in the car to places during the holidays.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

xx

melfish
05-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Have any of you had trouble with planning permission? Still not got it sorted, we can only have 6 children on site at any one time... I am assuming from the amount of car space you have that mum2two you have up to 12? The planning people were v unhelpful I have to say but I know it's different in different councils.