PDA

View Full Version : So annoyed!

Playmate
21-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Several months ago I kooked into doing the foundation degree with a view of starting it next September. Found out that currently the course in area was still being fully funded, but by next year would probably not. Made the decission to apply and start this month, phoned college got all the details and completed and returned application. Over the summer we have negotiated with a couple of parents to change hours etc. in order for Mick to work on his own on Wednesday afternoons and I have psyced (sp?)my self up to the prospect of me studying again.

Well by the end of August I still hadn't heard anything from the college as to whether I had been accepted, so started to make phone calls, to be told my application was still being processed and I should hear within the next week. phoned every day last week and was pushed from pillar to post. Well I still haven't heard a thing and the course starts tomorrow. I bumped into an ex parent yesterday who works at the college who told me the course was full! I'm so angry that they didn't even have the decency to write and inform me :angry:

So I have made all the arrangements for nothing, looks like I'm going to have to wait another year and pay for it (which probably won't happen :rolleyes: )

sorry rant over :(

Mouse
21-09-2010, 11:41 AM
That is very annoying :mad:

I'd keep phoning though. If you definitely didn't have a place surely they'd have let you know rather than keep you hanging on? Perhaps they're trying to fit you in somewhere or waiting to see if anyone drops out/doesn't start.

mama2three
21-09-2010, 11:53 AM
how about doing it through ou? You should still get the funding , and you now have wednesday afternoons free for studying.....

Playmate
21-09-2010, 12:28 PM
how about doing it through ou? You should still get the funding , and you now have wednesday afternoons free for studying.....

I started doing it with OU 2 years ago, but after having my tutor changed 3 times in a term and given tutorials 70 miles away I gave up. I need to be able to attend college and talk to people :blush:

The Juggler
21-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Several months ago I kooked into doing the foundation degree with a view of starting it next September. Found out that currently the course in area was still being fully funded, but by next year would probably not. Made the decission to apply and start this month, phoned college got all the details and completed and returned application. Over the summer we have negotiated with a couple of parents to change hours etc. in order for Mick to work on his own on Wednesday afternoons and I have psyced (sp?)my self up to the prospect of me studying again.

Well by the end of August I still hadn't heard anything from the college as to whether I had been accepted, so started to make phone calls, to be told my application was still being processed and I should hear within the next week. phoned every day last week and was pushed from pillar to post. Well I still haven't heard a thing and the course starts tomorrow. I bumped into an ex parent yesterday who works at the college who told me the course was full! I'm so angry that they didn't even have the decency to write and inform me :angry:

So I have made all the arrangements for nothing, looks like I'm going to have to wait another year and pay for it (which probably won't happen :rolleyes: )

sorry rant over :(

I would ring and complain hon. if you make enough noise they might find a space and there are always non-starters and drop-outs. That is so disorganised and rude of them though. x

nannymcflea
21-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Do ring and find out if there has been any drop-outs.

Ours started today and the tutor had one drop out this morning!

This really isn't fair on you not knowing until too late. Can you make an appointment to see someone for a chat to see why you heard nothing?

flora
21-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I would do as the girls suggest and ring them, hopefully you can take up a spare place :thumbsup:

Hope you get sorted x

Playmate
21-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Well I left a message (rather curt!) early today and finally the Admissions officer has just phoned me. I should have received a letter to tell me I was being placed on a waiting list :angry: she couldn't tell me how many were on the list, but apparently I should have been told at the time I applied that it was already oversubscribed. :angry: She told me that it is all up in the air as the funding situation has changed since people applied so she is expecting quite a few to drop out. She said to me I applied rather late, I explained I have not long finished my level 3 and wanted time to think about what to do next and then she said "so do you have much experience of working in early years?" when I said yes 17 years working as a Childminder she didn't say much :rolleyes: She then appologised agian and that was it :(

Feeling very deflated now:(

wellybelly
21-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Well I left a message (rather curt!) early today and finally the Admissions officer has just phoned me. I should have received a letter to tell me I was being placed on a waiting list :angry: she couldn't tell me how many were on the list, but apparently I should have been told at the time I applied that it was already oversubscribed. :angry: She told me that it is all up in the air as the funding situation has changed since people applied so she is expecting quite a few to drop out. She said to me I applied rather late, I explained I have not long finished my level 3 and wanted time to think about what to do next and then she said "so do you have much experience of working in early years?" when I said yes 17 years working as a Childminder she didn't say much :rolleyes: She then appologised agian and that was it :(

Feeling very deflated now:(

Dont give up hope yet, loads of people dropped out during the induction stage (the first month) of my foundation degree, and I think thats pretty typical for all courses at university. It's just not for everyone! Keep positive and still keep phoning them.

I believe OU start in late October so atleast give it till then and maybe you can pursue that way. 2 of my friends are doing the OU route and are loving it!

Polly2
21-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Thats so disapointing:( don't give up yet though - you may get a place you never know x

Pipsqueak
21-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Hang on in there Playmate, within the first 2 weeks of our FD - no less than 8 people dropped out, then within the first month a further 6.
I do think they way you have been treated is appalling though.

If you do have to wait a year - its always worth checking student finance and applying for all sorts - you never know if you will get something or not.
I am hoping that i will get a contribution towards my fees.

TheBTeam
22-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Just seen this, hope they are able to fit you in as others have said people do seem to drop out, hopefully you can get in not too far behind.

mama2three
22-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Shame youre not closer to me , you could have my place!
Ive got to make a decision this week whether Im going ahead , Ive got my funding , place....just cant see any way to fit in the workload! (And how to get to college by 4 when I dont have my children collected for another 2 hours!! )
My home / paperwork / kids already take up more time than i have and I fall way behind then have a mad fit and catch up by staying up til silly o'clock every now and again.
dont think its fair on anyone to take it on and then back out - not the college , family , myself. Or the people who didnt get a place..
But I really really want the qualification and the knowledge that builds alongside...