PDA

View Full Version : how to fully understand EYFS?

samkeddy
17-09-2010, 12:16 PM
hiya,
hope you all dont think im completly incapable after this thread!
I thought i understood the eyfs quite well when i first started 6mth ago but now i feel stuck in a rut, my planning is often similar stuff week in week out relating to the eyfs in the same ways, then my links in my observations always seem to be the same!!
Wondered if anyone has any suggestions for what i should be doin activity wise and observation wise, or any good courses, books, etc that would help me understand the eyfs and what i should be doin?

Hate feeling like im not doin a good enough job!:( :(

Mookins
17-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Have you tried any of the ebooks done by sarah here on the forum, there cheaply priced for what they hold. I keep meaning to get some as people rave about how helpful they are.

With regards to the EYFS it sounds like you have the jist of it...if youre getting stuck, try just watching your mindees for a while and see what their imagination does...then make future planning and obs from that

us grown ups need to think out of the box sometimes..or in the box as kids love them soo much lol

hope this helps
xxxx

FussyElmo
17-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Have you got the Penny Tassoni book Practical EYFS Handbook?

Its really good :thumbsup:

breezy
17-09-2010, 03:56 PM

I was going to say that!!!!!!!! It's in the forum shop x

caz3007
17-09-2010, 04:06 PM

I have got that book from the library and just keep on renewing it, it does give you some ideas for each age and each area

coffee-time
17-09-2010, 05:50 PM
mmm i might get that book too, i definetely need eyfs help!!
why arent there any courses we can do?

funfunfun
17-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Im the same with this

one minute i have figured it out the next its gone ........:laughing:

Just watch the kids .........put some nuresry ryhmes songs on and have a sing use differnt toys and your bound to get somthing different :)

samkeddy
28-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Just wanted to say thankyou to the people that recommended 'Penny Tassoni book Practical EYFS Handbook'

It came a couple of days ago and is really helpfull, feel like ive got my mojo back!!! Thank's

but must strain i still LOVE Sarah's ebooks and will be buying more soon:D :D

Blaze
28-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I didn't reply to your original OP as the EYFS book & Sarah's ebooks had already been posted about, but I'm glad you're feeling more positive:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
28-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Don't forget to take inspiration from the notes on the EYFS grids as well as the practice cards. Often in additional documents such as letters and sounds, there are lots of ideas in there.

Mind you can't beat Sarahs very practical and inspirational e-books!:thumbsup: oh and of course us on here:D

Paula1974
28-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I too thought I was confident with the EYFS, I am now providing funded place for 3-4 year olds, and with the extra bits to do for that I feel under even more pressure to get it right, I can link the activity/play to EYFS but when it comes to writing next steps and plotting where they are in the EYFS I struggle with this. Not sure what everyone else thinks but I find the wording of the document a challenge. :eek: