PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out...

kimmy101674
17-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Hello!!!

Im Kim, I'm 22, have two children of my own (one is in school and the other is 2) I am supposed to be attending a childminding pre-registration course soon, but haven't heard back to confirm this, and it starts a week monday!

I have my NVQ level 3 in child care learning and development and my paediatric first aid. I previously worked in a nursery for over 2 years (which I absolutely hated, management reasons).

I've been reading on here for a while, but haven't posted. So thought I would introduce myself and ask a few questions, if thats ok?

1. What sort of child-proofing do I need? I have stair gates, socket protectors, chain on my front door...

2. Risk assessments? What do I need to risk assess? Guinea pigs? Drop leaf table? Any help appreciated!!

3. What sort of car do you have? I have a ford focus (new style) is this big enough? Does it matter?!

4. What do you use to do your planning? I was thinking I would give each child a exercise book that i could write their planning in, link their photos, artwork etc. is this ok?

5. Photos....will I be able to take photos of the children for their planning? Do I have to have some sort of license?!

I think thats it for now....if anyone could give me any advice, i would be so greatful!!!

thank you!!
Kim

Mrs Pootle
19-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Hi Kim, I'm not sure I can answer all your questions but I'll have a go.
The child proofing is the things you've mentioned. You need to risk assess all the rooms (inc garden) you'll be using and then put the safeguarding measures in place. You may need cupboard locks, or safety glass film etc, but it depends on your house and the things you have in it, and the age of the children you want to look after.
I don't use my car for childminding, we walk or use the bus so can't help you with that.
I keep an diary for each child, and I will note any development areas in that. I have a general sheet for planning each weeks activities, and take account of individual childrens needs in that.
You will need to get the parents permission to take photos, along with permission to do all sorts of other things as well, eg apply suncream, travel in your car etc.
Good luck with it all.:)

sarah707
19-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Hello!!!

Im Kim, I'm 22, have two children of my own (one is in school and the other is 2) I am supposed to be attending a childminding pre-registration course soon, but haven't heard back to confirm this, and it starts a week monday!

I think you need to contact the training centre and check!!

I have my NVQ level 3 in child care learning and development and my paediatric first aid. I previously worked in a nursery for over 2 years (which I absolutely hated, management reasons).

The pre-registration course is part 1 of the NVQ so I would not anticipate any problems

I've been reading on here for a while, but haven't posted. So thought I would introduce myself and ask a few questions, if thats ok?

1. What sort of child-proofing do I need? I have stair gates, socket protectors, chain on my front door...

Yes those kinds of things. Just go round your house and think about the risks to children... some childminders I know crawl round so they can spot things from the children's level.

You will get help on this during your course.

2. Risk assessments? What do I need to risk assess? Guinea pigs? Drop leaf table? Any help appreciated!!

Again this will be covered during your course!

3. What sort of car do you have? I have a ford focus (new style) is this big enough? Does it matter?!

It depends on if you have children of your own and who you take on for childminding.

You will need class 1 business insurance before you use your car for the children.

4. What do you use to do your planning? I was thinking I would give each child a exercise book that i could write their planning in, link their photos, artwork etc. is this ok?

Everyone plans differently. I use loose sheets that go into the child's learning journey booklet.

Again this should be covered in your pre-reg course.

5. Photos....will I be able to take photos of the children for their planning? Do I have to have some sort of license?!

You need to be registered with the information commissioners office and you will need parents written permission.

I think thats it for now....if anyone could give me any advice, i would be so greatful!!!

thank you!!
Kim

Have a nosey at my www.eyfsforchildminders.webnode.com site. There is lots of advice and help for starting out.

also have a look through threads in the starting out section of the forum.

Hth :D