PDA

View Full Version : Kiliminjaro

Helen Dempster
16-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Has anyone climbed it?? My DH is seriously thinking of doing this next year, but is a little worried about the cost. Wondered if any of you lovely ppl had done it and if there were any words of wisdom?

Hebs
17-09-2010, 06:05 AM
my sister has :D

She is in the royal navy, and about 20 of them climbed it together :thumbsup:

no idea on the cost sorry xx

Mookins
17-09-2010, 08:16 AM
a couple of friends of mine have both done it...costs vary, depending on the route

http://www.actionchallenge.com/news_story.php?id=63

this is the info ive been given for you

hope he does it, life time experience...bloomin hard work, quite emotional but what an acheivement:D

xxx

kindredspirits
17-09-2010, 08:18 AM
I've been a fair way up - but not to the summit - I did it as part of an adverture holiday which cost about£4000 in total - but we also did safari and helped build a school roof as well. :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
17-09-2010, 08:20 AM
My husband did it back in the late 1980s and has climbed up to K2 base camp.
He did say Kilimanjaro was quite hard as you had to get up in the middle of the night and walk in the dark when you would rather be asleep!

If you need information there is a website for a touring company that arranges climbing/walking tours in Africa:

www.explore.co.uk

Look under Africa and tour ref KC.

Overland tours with others are great if he is going on his own and you are well looked after :thumbsup:

I've been with them before around Tanzania and the Ngorongoro crater.

rickysmiths
17-09-2010, 01:37 PM
I went about half way up on a holiday when I was 9yrs! We stayed in a hotel and I remember swimming in an outdoor pool. We visited a Banana plantation and it was there I learnt that a Banana is not a tree but a herb. Not much help for your hubby I'm afraid!!

I have also been Ngorongoro Crater. We used to live in Nairobi.

Daddy Day Care
17-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Ive done it :clapping: Posted a couple of pictures before on the below thread

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39639

I did it 10 years ago tho, and my college tutor who we went with was a partner in a torunig company so we got a discount, it cost around £1500 when we did it.

Well worth doing and worth every penny, apart from the birth of my kids the best experience in mylife.

Gareth
xx