PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of becoming a Childminder...

sophiek90
16-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Hello. My name is Sophie and I am 20 years old. I have a 14 month old daughter who I care for at home. I am also pregnant with the baby been due in January 2011. Me and my partner are both unemployed at the moment and have been having serious thoughts about becoming Childminders. I have requested a Childminding Information Pack from my Local Authority. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if it is possible that me and partner could become Childminders together on a full-time basis. What would the ratios of adult:child be as obviously we would have our daughter to care for and in January a newborn baby. If I was to start the registration process now, how long does it usually take. Thanks.

tulip0803
16-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Hello. My name is Sophie and I am 20 years old. I have a 14 month old daughter who I care for at home.Hello and welcome

I am also pregnant with the baby been due in January 2011. Me and my partner are both unemployed at the moment and have been having serious thoughts about becoming Childminders. I have requested a Childminding Information Pack from my Local Authority. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if it is possible that me and partner could become Childminders together on a full-time basis. There are many childminding couples around and on the forum so it is possible. How quickly you both become full will depend on demand in your area.

What would the ratios of adult:child be as obviously we would have our daughter to care for and in January a newborn baby.A single childminder can care for a maximum of 6 children under the age 8 in Engand and Wales (Scotland is under 12 or 16, not sure about NI) no more than 3 can be in under 5 unless in full time school and no more than one of those 3 under 1 in England and 2 under 18m in Wales. Numbers will depend on the amount of space that you have available for childminding so you may find that even working together you cannot have the full number each. Your children will each take a space away from the numbers that you can care for

If I was to start the registration process now, how long does it usually take. How long is a piece of string? some registrations can take as little as 3 months others can take more than a year. When you receive your pack you will both be invited to a childminding briefing session which will explain the process in your LA

Thanks.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

Gizmo
16-09-2010, 09:03 PM
its the best job ever but with a new baby and lo of your own it will be hard work as Tulip says reg process depends on where you are. I am in Scotland and it took me 3 mths but I know for some it has taken a lot longer
Good Luck whatever you decide to do :thumbsup:

sophiek90
17-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will definetly attend the information session with my partner. This type of career is for me as I have worked in childcare settings since leaving school and thoroughly enjoyed it.