PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

Memina
15-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi all,

I'm a newly registered childminder and have taken on a 7 month old baby. I want to start with eyfs and learning journey but don't really know where to begin!

Does anyone have a grid/list of observations etc that they can just tick off and see where the child is on thier development and the go on from there?

If not then what does everyone else do?

Thanks

Wendy

Pipsqueak
15-09-2010, 04:24 PM
What goes into my mindees LJ's

A4 ring folder
contracts, all about me/starting points etc - personal information

a set of development matters grids that I can highlight of as the child meets the statement - I will try to put a date next to it to x-ref it to an observation where possible.

then I just start putting observations in - wow moments, photos with a description of what we do/done/doing

and then termly i will do an evaluation of the information

flora
15-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Good advice from Pip already, try putting EYFS into the forum search, I am sure it will throw up loads of good ideas from all the other members.

Remember, we all do things differently, but that doesn't make one person wrong, so you may see many ways of doing th same thing. Pick the way thats uits you and the way you work :thumbsup:

Good luck :thumbsup:

Memina
15-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys for your help!

What do you use as your starting point? Do you have a form that you as parents to fill? I gave one to parents but they only filled it to the minimum so i was kinda after one that I could do with beby E so that I know where to go on grom there.

Thanks

Memina

karensmart4
15-09-2010, 08:23 PM
What I do is get as much information as I can from parents about their childs likes/dislikes, fav toy, fav activity, their routines, family members. pets etc.

I then use that info as a starting point eg. A. enjoys building blocks so make sure you have blocks out for them to play with when they start.

From that you can slowly introduce (using each new thing as a next step from the last) sorting the blocks into colours/making towers/making a garage out of blocks and parking the cars/ find the blue cars and park them in the garage/ find the red cars and park them behind the garage etc....You have just introduced;
Creative development/Physical development/Knowledge and Understanding/Problem solving and Communication, Language and Literacy.

You can observe all these areas by taking notes and photos

Hope that helps