PDA

View Full Version : help me pretty please

meggie moo
15-09-2010, 09:00 AM
hi, im a soon to be childminder and really confused on wot fees to charge and dont want to be seen as a pushover and charge too little and find im struggerling to make ends meet finacialy. I made a big discission yesterday, as im currently on maternity leave and due to go back next month i am unable to work my current contract hours due to childcare arrangements, so i have decided to hand in my notice for current job but stay there and work casual hours, these are not gauranteed, im hoping it will work out with childminding untill i find some mindees. there are no other c.m in my area. Any ideas people on fees? Im thinking of opening from about 8 till 5.30. And also i am going to put in place a late fee, wot do u think would be a reasonable price to charge? Thanks everyone. Xx :)

sarah707
15-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Have a look at childminder adverts for your local area on sites like -

http://childcarefinder.direct.gov.uk/

They should give you some ideas of where to start :D

meggie moo
15-09-2010, 10:04 AM
brilliant, thank u sarah. :)

The Juggler
15-09-2010, 01:19 PM
i agree, just price yourself in the local market range. good luck with finding mindees:)

Zoomie
15-09-2010, 01:23 PM
also find out what local nursery's charge, it will give you an idea too

WibbleWobble
15-09-2010, 02:01 PM
i rang the local nurserys and pretended i had a 10 month old and a three year old! i know that was cheeky but it helped to find out how much they charged.

I charge hourly. A local minder got in a bit of a stew cos she charged a day rate for T who was with her from 8am to 2pm. Mum kicked up a stink when the minder couldnt have T after 2pm cos of numbers one day and going out another day. Mum also didnt want to pay any more cos she was paying a "day rate"
CM has stopped the day rate.

mandy xxx

charliegee
16-09-2010, 08:38 PM
I too would go for an hourly rate and personally I don't give discounts now for siblings.

Have a think also about the activities you will be doing and whether you will factor these into your hourly fee - or whether parents / carers will have to pay for these in addition to hourly rate.

Food also - as some minders charge extra for meals and others charge an inclusive rate

The only thing I wish I'd done is charge slightly more an hour to take into account the fact that I take all sick days / holidays unpaid - but yes tis difficult to balance it all and not price yourself out - although in same way not sell yourself short

Sarah's post about childcarefinder is great - I check my prices against other minders on this:thumbsup:

HTH X

mamasheshe
16-09-2010, 09:41 PM
i'd phone local childminders and introduce your self explain you don't want to under cut them and find out what the normal rate is where you are :thumbsup:

meggie moo
17-09-2010, 08:09 AM
thank you everyone for your advise, hugely appreciated. Parselypetel, i like the idea of ringing up nurserys but i dont think i could stop myself from giggling. :laughing: thanks again everyone. X:)