PDA

View Full Version : term time only contract??

Emz
15-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Morning

Just wondering on term time only contracts do people prefer a weekly payment all year or just a payment term time weeks? Which is better? Any thoughts would be great. (only mindee i can have btw)
Also how many weeks is term time, i cant find any threads i read on it before.

Thanks ladys x

guest4
15-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Good morning,
I have two mindees that are from different teachers families so consequently only have them term time.
I charge monthly but obviously have no payment in August.
If you know that this is going to be a permanent arrangement you could charge pro rata, but this does get a little tricky if you then have to deal with over payments, charges for late collections etc.

I hope this helps a little bit, oh, by the way term time is 38 weeks a year (but dont forget inset days, if your parents are teachers they may need you to work these days too) School term dates do differ tho depending on area, I am in Oxfordshire.

Tracey x

shelly04
15-09-2010, 09:44 AM
I have a couple of term time contracts, which I get paid weekly for. Their time off is paid at half fee.

The Juggler
15-09-2010, 01:21 PM
i have term time only contracts. I work out an annual fee based on 39 weeks. some pay this over 11 months (august payment free) and some prefer to spread cost over 12 months. They know however, if they end the contract before the end of 31st August they will have underpaid and that I will calculate any underpayment due.

Helcatt
15-09-2010, 06:38 PM
i have term time only contracts. I work out an annual fee based on 39 weeks. some pay this over 11 months (august payment free) and some prefer to spread cost over 12 months. They know however, if they end the contract before the end of 31st August they will have underpaid and that I will calculate any underpayment due.

This is also the way I work it. The most recent one I took on, I suggested 11 months giving her August free but she prefered ro spread over 12 months

IT makes it easier for me to budget too. I now have it in my head that ultimately I would like to be term time only

HX

Chatterbox Childcare
15-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Me too - they like this when they are claiming childcare vouchers as they can use them all year round

Millenium
16-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I have minded a number of children of parents in the education profession but have never gone down the route of averaging the payments - I have interestingly, never been asked to do it either!

All my parents pay by the hour for the coming month so each month's bill varies - no two months will normally ever be the same. If the parent can't cope with bills of varying amounts each month, then that's a pretty poor state of affairs. I can see no benefit for me receiving equal amounts of money each month. I want to know that the money being paid to me is for the work I am contracted to do in the coming month - nothing more and nothing less - then I know exactly where I am.

I do know that there can be a legal problem in the event of a contract termination or monetary dispute which I was advised of a few years ago. It has to be extremely carefully written into the contract because otherwise, the childminder appears to be receiving money when no service has been provided.

miffy
16-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I've never averaged fees over the year either - if the contract is terminated part way through the year you might end up owing parents money.

Miffy xx

Mrs Pootle
16-09-2010, 07:03 PM
My parents pay weekly in advance for the term time only. I don't average out across the year, and my parents have never requested this. I prefer to see that they are paying for the hours that I work, and so if the contract is terminated we all know exactly what is due & there is no misunderstanding.:)

Chatterbox Childcare
16-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I am the one requesting it - I like even payments so that I can budget - maybe I am the dumb one but it works for me

The Juggler
16-09-2010, 09:56 PM
I am the one requesting it - I like even payments so that I can budget - maybe I am the dumb one but it works for me

me too! and it means I don't have to work out and produce a new invoice every month!

Emz
17-09-2010, 09:13 PM
thanks ladies, think i like being paid for the hours i work so may stick with that route x