PDA

View Full Version : where do i start

jod
06-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi, I am new to this and havn't actually started doing anything about the childminding yet! I am only 19 and was wondering am I actually old enough and where do i really start? And how much will it cost me up front? i have experience in working with children, and have done 2 courses in college, introductory diploma in health and social care, and BTEC, NVQ level 2 teaching assistant course, but is that enough?

sarah707
06-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Hello and welcome!

You have done a lot of training, but you will still need to be trained to be a childminder. You do a pre-registration course first, then an ICP course - name keeps changing, but it's Introduction to Childminding Practice or something similar.

Here's a thread you might find useful... don't forget to say hello to everyone! :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2442

cuddlybunny38
06-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi my daughter is registering and she is 18 they said there is no problem it is if they think you are able. Sharon

Spangles
06-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi and good luck with registering.

As has already been said, your age shouldn't be a problem.

angeldelight
07-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Agree with the others just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

emler
07-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi

Just wanted to say hi, welcome & good luck registering

Emler x

Noodles
07-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Good luck with registering:) :)

Banana
07-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum!!

Firstly as said already Good luck with registering - it can either be a quick or lengthy process so I hope yours is quick and gets you up and running soon!

You will need to contact your local childs information service and ask about getting booked onto a briefing session and then register to go on the 6 week unit 1 of the DHC (diploma in home based childcare). I dont think you are too young to be a childminder, so long as you have the maturity and professionalism required to look after children. I registered when I was 23, I havnt had any porblems getting my business up and running, but you have to bear in mund that some parents dont like the thought of leaving their child with someone in thier teens/early 20's - some are looking for more experience. I had the benefit that I also have a daughter of my own and so know how to be a mum - which is of course great experience (I am not saying that to be a good childminder you have to be a mim BTW).

Good luck to you and let us know what you decide :D

xx