PDA

View Full Version : After School Fees

Louise_Oaktree
13-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I realise fees vary depending on area etc but I am really stumped by a parent and I have mentioned the fact that fees are negotiable :rolleyes:

My son has just started School and there is only 1 other Childminder who collects from this school. It is a rural area and a very popular school with a mixture of parents who juggle working hours and some who don't work. This is only my son's second week and it is the 2nd enquiry I have had for after school care, also the Headteacher pulled me in the office on day 2 to ask if she could pass my details onto parents as they receive several enquiries for after school care and there is no after school club at the school.

I am currently on Maternity leave and was planning to return to work in March/April but have said if all goes well I am happy to start back in Jan 2011 as I really would like to have these after schoolies so don't want to lose them.

The lady who has asked me today wants after school 4 days a week (brill for me I don't want to work Fridays) but only for 1 hour a day. I usually charge £10 for after school (until 6pm) and my hourly charge is £3.50 for part time children 0-5yrs but this would only give me £14 a week which just doesn't seem worth the hassle!

I am annoyed at myself for mentioning that fees are negotiable but I didn't want to put this lady off and suspect other CM's are charging less.

I was thinking of charging the £3.50 an hour but for a minimum of 2 hours but don't want Mum thinking she can turn up an hour later!

It's also term time only so won't generate any income during the school hols.

She seems really keen so should I stick to my guns or knock her some off?

sfox2003
13-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I feel for you - sometimes its too tempting to try to win the business.

Personally I wouldnt do 4 nights for £14.00 a week because in effect they are taking up 1 after school place 4 nights a week. No one will want you 4.30-6pm will they? So youve given her a place for 3.50 a night.

It depends how much you need the money. But I would be tempted to phone her back & tell her its your mistake, but youve not charged her the correct amount, or phone to say you forgot to tell her theres a 2 hour min charge. As shes taking up 1 after school place (usually 3.30-6pm) you will need to charge her for a min of 2 hours. Personally I wouldnt budge on the £10.00 but just do 2 hour min if you prefer.

sandy64
13-09-2010, 12:40 PM
hi just noticed your not to far from ,me:laughing: i trhink you do need to stick to your guns on this charge for 2hrs but make sure when you do contract you tell her its the after school fee and not hrly rate and put the time for pick up on and also a overtime rate in case shes late:)

mummyof3
13-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I would stick with your £10 set fee for after school. Its not a lot of money a week for you otherwise and isn't worth it.

I have a lo for 1.5 hours a week one day and I've really regretted taking him on even though I charged £10 set fee. Now looking back I should have said no as he is under 5 as well so I'm struggling to fill a place. I took him on as it was quiet and some money was better than none.

Have a good think about it before you agree. Good luck with your decision :D

The Juggler
13-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I'd be tempted to allow her the hour but say tell her your min. session fee is £8. In all honesty wouldn't you rather finish a bit earlier than 6pm just after going back from maternity leave??

What is your session normally - 3-6pm for £10/hour - I would say £8 but the latest she can collect for that is 5pm.

FinleysMummy
13-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Ive made this mistake too. I have 2 afterschoolers who i charge by the hour. This means that 3 mornings a week i take him to school - all for £4 each morning. Then when i collect them they stay for 1 hour and again ive charged £4. Doesnt really seem worth me getting me and my son out the house along with a 3 year old i mind in the day. Wish id thought about making it a "club" and charging £10.

Chimps Childminding
13-09-2010, 04:22 PM
I would charge a minimum of 2 hours!! Having said that one of my lo's goes to school next year and when I used to have his sister before and after school I only used to charge the hours she was here which was an hour before school and half an hour after - mum is very very rarely late bless her!!! But on a Monday (once he starts school) I will only have this lo (unless I take someone else on in the meantime) which will mean getting up for a 7.30 start, and making sure I am back for him coming in for half an hour at night for £5.25 :eek:

Think I may have to speak to mum and see if I can swap his days with grannie or something, because I feel mean charging her 2 hours at night when I know she only needs half an hour - I have had her children for 11 years (he has 2 older sisters) so don't want to upset them, but on the other hand to give up a day off for £5.25 hardly seems worth it :rolleyes:

sammyc
13-09-2010, 07:35 PM
I am new to this game also, and ruled out the idea of charging by the hour for this reason, as I did'nt want to be working for little bits of dribs and drabs of money. You need to be making every mindee worth your while, or you'll feel put upon. I only deal with school age children and I'm charging £10 afterschool up till 6pm.

Louise_Oaktree
14-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts, I really want to get this mindee as it's an early finish and only 4 days a week (I really don't want to work Fridays) so I have decided to offer her a reduced fee, hopefully as she realises I normally charge £10, anything less is a bonus ;) I am thinking £8.00 as any less and I think I will come to regret it, CM's are also in high demand at this School so I don't want to regret taking her on if something better comes along. Also she doesn't want School Hols which previously I have found difficult especially in the summer with max numbers :panic:

It also means me going back to work sooner than planned, so I don't want to regret it! Will let you know if she takes it!

The Juggler
15-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts, I really want to get this mindee as it's an early finish and only 4 days a week (I really don't want to work Fridays) so I have decided to offer her a reduced fee, hopefully as she realises I normally charge £10, anything less is a bonus ;) I am thinking £8.00 as any less and I think I will come to regret it, CM's are also in high demand at this School so I don't want to regret taking her on if something better comes along. Also she doesn't want School Hols which previously I have found difficult especially in the summer with max numbers :panic:

It also means me going back to work sooner than planned, so I don't want to regret it! Will let you know if she takes it!

I think this is a good plan, you are making it worth your while, getting a slightly earlier finish AND you get the hols off which is what you want. Hope it works outx

Louise_Oaktree
15-09-2010, 07:45 PM
She said yes :clapping: coming to see me next week x

Thanks guys.

The Juggler
16-09-2010, 08:59 AM
She said yes :clapping: coming to see me next week x

Thanks guys.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: