PDA

View Full Version : folding type table

keeks
11-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I am being super good and spending my Saturday doing paperwork (for a change haha) and - at last- RISK ASSESSMENTS!!!

In my lounge I have an old oval shape table with a narrow middle and two parts that can fold away. They are held up by a fold-away-able (hmm...) table leg. If someone pushes this leg and lifts the table top at the same time, the top would come down. I have risk assessed this and will mostly keep the table folded away as it will be less of a hazard like this, and we will have more space in the lounge. I also thought I could secure the leg better by making a plug and hole fitting so it is more difficult to get it to go anywhere.

Will this be sufficient do you think, or will I have to buy a new table?:eek:

Have a lovely Saturday night, ladies and gentlemen!

xx

~Grasshopper~
13-09-2010, 09:18 AM
hiya.

i know what you mean but i have no idea lol.

i have a rocking chair in my living room and ive been trying to find some sort of stabilisers for it as when i first got it my son then aged 2 stood on it and tipped it backwards. my plan is to see what ofsted say if they say it has to go then i'll get rid of it but im keeping it for now.

so i would wait and see what they say when they inspect you. they prob wont even notice.

xx

mummyof3
13-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I've got the same table and ofsted never mentioned it and i've not risk assessed it either :blush:

keeks
13-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys, that's good news mummyof3. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :D

Good luck at your inspection, suz. I'd love a rocking chair, we always had one when I grew up!

xxx

singingcactus
13-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I have 2 tables similar to those you mentioned. One has a piece of dowelling in a hole to secure it in place. The other sits in a little notch. Both could be kicked in accidentally, but to be honest in the last 10 years I have had them they have not been kicked to the point the top falls down.

I did for a while create additional legs for the heavy table one for each corner but that was mostly because the fold out ones meant I could not slide a high chair under it. The other is a very light weight top and less of a problem.

I am always super vigilant when we use the table, but mostly because I am concerned the kids might get their fingers trapped in the hinge area.

The knocking in of the leg is less of a problem if you keep your chairs pushed under the table I guess. Honestly I use my foldy tables every day and them collapsing has not been a problem. Just remember to constantly remind the children to be aware of the legs.