PDA

View Full Version : treasure baskets

devoncm
06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
lots of people have said how good treasure baskets are,what do you put in it and how do you use them?

id not heard of them before coming on here-what have i been missing??

ive got a 1 yr old 20 months and 3 yr old at moment 1 yr old comes a different day.

avril
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Different objects for texture, sound, shape, for an older child things of interest to him/her. A friend of mine had a treasure basket of different dinsaurs as he loved them, another for a baby was all natural things wooden spoon, egg cup, a loofah, natural sponge, shells (smooth), wooden egg timer,

You can make a basket of almost anything!!
Avril x:)

nannysue
06-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Other things in our basket include... nail brush, sponge scourer with rough green other side, silver scourer, coloured plastic pegs, plastic texture paper makes a scrunchy noise, large piece of bubble wrap(rolled up and tied in the middle),pieces of different texture material, bells, shakers, a net bag with some shiny pebble like stones(the sort you put in vases),something shiny that can be used as a mirror. its all about texture and senses so if you look around the house its surprising what you can find, as long as it is safe of course.

angeldelight
06-04-2008, 02:21 PM
You will find some information here in an old thread

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1112&highlight=treasure+baskets

Stanfield
26-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I have a book called "The little book of treasure baskets" it is so useful and tell you about all different types of baskets you can put together and how to use them
Cost about 6.99 but may find it cheaper on ebay or amazon etc
I have loads of the books in this collection, they are all really informative and I use them all the time.

miffy
26-04-2008, 05:58 PM
It's worth experimenting to see what sorts of things the children like - natural materials like shells, wooden objects etc seem to be quite popular

Have fun

miffy xx

donnahay0
26-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I put together a treasure basket and the baby I look after doesn't like it. What I have noticed though is what he likes to touch around my house - the patio doors, my leather sofa, the wooden floor, the tiled floor, the decking, grass, my huge fluffy rug, the beads from my necklace that I wear and a couple of days ago another mindees hair - oh and the basket all the treasures are kept in.