PDA

View Full Version : Which car for childminding?

Beachbum
06-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi - Not sure this is being posted in the right section but I didn't know what catagory to put it in!

I am starting out as a childminder, currently H has our car on a daily basis and I am stuck at home most of the time. Now we need two cars, originally I wanted a VW Touran but they are too expensive, we have a 3 door Focus but since it has a front airbag I could only get two childseats in the back, one being my sons, so it isn't going to be big enough.

So, what car do you have? Is it a MPV or can you get away with a smaller car? Or has anyone had front airbag disabled, is this safe?

If I can get away with keeping the Focus then H can get himself a small cheap car but I just don't know if it will be big enough.

Can anyone offer any advice or experience?

B x

Trouble
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
i have a vw touran excellent car

very expensive to buy

small boot

but love it

Beachbum
06-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Don't say that, you are supposed to be talking me out of buying a VW Touran :laughing:

I'm worried if I buy one that I then won't get enough business to keep up the payments, although in that case I would then have to go back to work anyway so I guess the money would be there one way or another... Hmmm..

Did you buy yours from new?

avril
06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I drive a renault meganne estate, huge boot and the front air bags can be turned on or off with a button on the drivers side that can only be reached if the door is open, so little fingers cannot fiddle!!
At a squeeze I can fit x2 child seats and a bumper seat in the back as well

Avril x:)

Twinkles
06-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I think it depends on whether you intend to take on school age children.
As I have after schoolers in term time and also some in the school hols I wouldn't be able to get anywhere without a seven seater.

I have a Zafria which I wouldn't buy again, small boot being the main problem.
But then I do have a large dog who likes to come with me when we go out :D

Noodles
06-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I have a citroen c8 i couldnt get by with anything smaller but then i have 4 kids of my own so need it for everyday use:) :)

sarah707
06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
We have an 8 seater Toyota Estima import - loads of boot space, children love it, great for minding... eats deisel though :(

manjay
06-04-2008, 12:59 PM
I have a galaxy which was 9 months old when we bought it. We have had it 3 years now so really time to change. I have 3 children myself so anything less than a 7 seater would not give us the room we need. We also need one with enough power to tow our caravan. The boot is not massive but I always have one seat out so that gives me plenty of room and all 7 seats are full sized seats.

As the others said it depends on how many children you think you will be looking after and whether you will need to take them all somewhere at the same time. I have 9 mindees on my books but don't have them all at the same time. The school run is walked so that is not a problem and in the hols I don't have all of them together so can plan days out if I need to.

Don't forget there are also lots of minders who don't drive and are able to get by without a car

amanda xx

mum22
06-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi
I have a renault scenic megane and it is big enough to put x 2 child seats age 1 - 4 years and a booster - age 4 - 11 side by side. there is no air bag on passenger side and i find this big enough and easy enough to park. but like others have said it will depend on how many mindees you have.:)

Pipsqueak
06-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Kia Sedona here - its nice and roomy, not mega on the boot space but you can get a double buggy in on its side and pile everything else on top.

Just a note - even if you can disable a front airbag - it is recommended that children under the age of 12 still do not travel in the front of the car

Here is some useful information when considering buying a car
http://www.childc****ats.org.uk/factsheets/airbags_factsheet.pdf

in that url it should read child car seats where it is starred out (it because it reads as another word for bottom when put together!!!!! lol) copy and paste the link and fill in the missing bits!

Child Passengers
• Always ensure that your child is in an appropriate child restraint that is suitable for the car and seat on which it is being used, and that it is securely fitted. Make sure the child is securely held by the child seat harness or seat belt.
• Make sure that children travel in the rear of the car, if possible - it is safer.
• Never put a rearward-facing baby seat in the front if there is a passenger airbag.
• Do not put a forward-facing child seat in the front, unless there is no other choice. In this case, make sure the car seat is as far back as possible, the child seat is securely fitted and the child is securely held by the seat belt or child seat harness, keeping the child as far as possible from the dashboard. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat.
• If there are side airbags, make sure that the child restraint does not rest against the door, that the child sits properly in the seat and does not lean close to, or against, the door or window. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat in the front.
• If there are other types of airbag in the car, ask the vehicle manufacturer how far they come out as they deploy and whether it is safe to use a child seat near the airbag.

son77
06-04-2008, 04:40 PM
We've just brought a VW touran & I love it.

Thought I may find it too big but its just like driving a car.

Defo recommend :laughing:

Beachbum
06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll do some research and see what I come up with. Unfortunatly where I am I think I will need a car, I suppose it will be useful to have anyway:blush:

Thanks again

B x

Trouble
06-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Don't say that, you are supposed to be talking me out of buying a VW Touran :laughing:

I'm worried if I buy one that I then won't get enough business to keep up the payments, although in that case I would then have to go back to work anyway so I guess the money would be there one way or another... Hmmm..

Did you buy yours from new?

sorry their rubbish:panic:

no a 55 reg but it has mine and hubbys name reg on so no one knows how old it is

but it is rubbish really:D

sassy
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
wow

just brought today a renult grand espace, its huge i, 7 seats, ts even got boot space i am :jump for joy: :jump for joy: so chuffed

only picked it up today, covered in snow!!!!

great big family car with all the goodies, i call it my mini bus !!!!

sassy x

littletreasures
06-04-2008, 07:35 PM
We've got a Grand Espace as well. It's our 2nd one. We love it.

I can have all the seats in use and fit the 2 dogs into the boot. Mind you, they can't lie down, but it means we can get to the park easily.

My husband doesn't particularly like driving it, as it hasn't got enough oomph as he puts it, but ideal for minding.

Also, we have taken 4 seats out in the back and taken Sam and all her stuff down to Uni with space to spare.

littletreasures

MissTinkerbell
08-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Just a note on disabling the airbag - I wanted mine doing on my Fiesta when I had the twins.

Apparently this cannot be done on a Ford that has an existing airbag. It can only be done if you have a switch fitted when the car is new.

We have a Galaxy as well and wouldn't be without it now. Fits everything and everyone in with no probs.

littletreasures
08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
We have just bought a new Ford Focus. It was a brand new one, but we couldn't have certain things on it as they had to be put on on the production line iyswim.

We asked if we could have the disabling airbag switch put on and they said yes they would do it at the service centre, so it would be worth asking.

littletreasures

Trouble
08-04-2008, 05:16 PM
you can turn ofthe front pass airbag in a vw touran there a switch in the glove box

Beachbum
08-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Lalalala fingers in ears, I'm not listening to how wonderful the VW Touran is lalala :laughing:

Seriously, thank all, some good reviews of your cars there, enough for me to be getting on with thats for sure!

Really appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

B x