PDA

View Full Version : Driving.

NicoleW
08-09-2010, 07:35 PM
I am about to sign up for my first aid course which got me thinking.

I don't drive, will this somehow hinder me from being a childminder?

We live close to parks, and a very very large greenery with duck ponds. (Southampton Common) and walking distance for libraries and such.

Pipsqueak
08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
no, it won't hinder you at all. you will probably find a lot minders who do drive still do a lot of walking anyway.

FussyElmo
08-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't drive doesn't stop me :thumbsup:

In fact I think if I did drive I would still walk :thumbsup:

NicoleW
08-09-2010, 07:49 PM
OH I'M ALL EXCITED!

I did my introduction to home based childcare last year, got certificate. I then moved to southampton and attended a briefing session in july, to which they said I have to do the course again for 12 weeks which started tonight but I couldn't attend as my partner's company has decided to put him onto nights.

My step-mum then informed me that I can just get my firt aid and a CRB check and I can request for an inspection I don't need to re-do the ****** courseĀ¬!

rickysmiths
08-09-2010, 07:50 PM
no it won't. There are lots of Childminders in our town who don't drive. They walk a lot and use buses and trains. When i first started minding I could drive but we only had one car which dh used for work so for10yrs I walked, bused and trained everywhere. At least it keeps you fit.

bekki0405
08-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Hello
I actually live in Totton, so I'm close to you. There are a quite a few childminders here who don't drive, and they get on just fine. They always have mindees, so it doesn't seem to put people off either.
Some walk everywhere, and some walk locally, and get the bus if they go a little further.
I've been childminding for 3 years now, and just got my NVQ3, and joined my local network. Good Luck with your new career. I'm sure you'll do just fine :)