PDA

View Full Version : why aren't my hens laying??

Helen Dempster
08-09-2010, 12:35 PM
We got 3 chickens about 3 weeks ago now (I put a message on here cos I was really excited about it) :blush: The first and second week, we were getting 1-2 eggs a day, but now...nothing? They've not laid for about 4 days now and I just wondered if any of you chicken pros out there could give me some advice as to how to get them going again (IYKWIM)?? I read somewhere that they don't lay as much in the winter, do you think it's something to do with the dreary weather/not much sunshine etc at the mo??

claire'scherubs
08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Hiya

Mine have done the same thing, so we have wormed them! Apparently they should be done quite regular, we have just started to get some eggs again. Also they don't lay so many in the winter, however last year when this happened, now don't laugh, but I gave them a milky cup of tea and we got eggs through the whole of the winter xx

Ripeberry
08-09-2010, 12:52 PM
There is always hardly any eggs at this time of year. They are coming out of the moult the days a getting shorter.
I find that in winter especially when it's cold, my hens LOVE layers mash made with hot water and it's almost as if they are tucking into a hot breakfast it steams so much on very frosty days.

That usually keeps them laying through the winter, just watch out around early February, you will have TOO many eggs :laughing:

kindredspirits
08-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I was going to suggest singing 'Chick Chick Chick Chick Chicken' :laughing:

Dragonfly
08-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Hot layers mash made me thick to last winter mine had porridge:) laid well all winter:thumbsup:

Dragonfly
08-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Hot layers mash made me Think to last winter mine had porridge:) laid well all winter:thumbsup:

emmadines
08-09-2010, 09:26 PM
I wouldnt worry too much, its normal for them to stop from time to time. it could always be down to just being in the new enviromnet (even though its been a couple of weeks.)

have you got any poutry spice and tonic for their water??

emma