PDA

View Full Version : Going to Forest School training

manjay
07-09-2010, 04:53 PM
on Saturday. I am so looking forward to it. Just not sure about the composting toilet:laughing:

sarah707
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I'd love to do that too!

There was some in Chester a while ago but it was a bit too far for me on my precious day off.

Enjoy! :clapping:

manjay
07-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Should be fun. We are right in the middle of nowhere and have to make all our food and drink for the day outside. Hope the weather stays good.

mama2three
07-09-2010, 05:08 PM
I worked in a preschool and we set up forest school to run alongside 2 days a week. It is amazing - the children learn a vast amount and you see a whole different side to their nature . Weather was never an issue , we ordered warm waterproof dungarees and coats - parents provided wellies , gloves etc..
Parents took a little while to understand what we were all about , but soon saw how much the children were getting out of it.
Ofsted at the time didnt have a clue! When we were due an inspection we had the usual phonecall to see when we were open etc. We told them about forest sessions and they said they wouldnt come those days as we were off on a visit.:rolleyes: After much to-ing and fro-ing they finally accepted they were part of our setting - and we wanted them to see what we considered a huge advantage to the children! The inspector then turned up , in a skirt and heels!!!!
Ive since left and had Q , who has been at forest school for a year and knows things about his environment that most adults dont! Alonmgside this we spend hours up there with the mindees , infact wed had a brilliant mudfest this morning!
can you tell Im a fan? Im sure you'll love the training ( but leave the heels at home:laughing: ) x

manjay
07-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I worked in a preschool and we set up forest school to run alongside 2 days a week. It is amazing - the children learn a vast amount and you see a whole different side to their nature . Weather was never an issue , we ordered warm waterproof dungarees and coats - parents provided wellies , gloves etc..
Parents took a little while to understand what we were all about , but soon saw how much the children were getting out of it.
Ofsted at the time didnt have a clue! When we were due an inspection we had the usual phonecall to see when we were open etc. We told them about forest sessions and they said they wouldnt come those days as we were off on a visit.:rolleyes: After much to-ing and fro-ing they finally accepted they were part of our setting - and we wanted them to see what we considered a huge advantage to the children! The inspector then turned up , in a skirt and heels!!!!
Ive since left and had Q , who has been at forest school for a year and knows things about his environment that most adults dont! Alonmgside this we spend hours up there with the mindees , infact wed had a brilliant mudfest this morning!
can you tell Im a fan? Im sure you'll love the training ( but leave the heels at home:laughing: ) x

Lol! Heels don't work very well in my village up in the hills!!! I have done alot of research on it for my degree so I am looking forward to giving it a go.

karensmart4
07-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I spent a day in forest school with the nursery children while at college, it was brilliant we made tree creatures out of mud, leaves, twigs anything we could find and stuck them to the tree trunks...like gargouls (sp).

The funny thing was the college was being inspected at the time and the inspector arrived in cream coloured trousers and jacket and high heels :rolleyes:

When she was bent down to talk to one of the lo's a little boy came up to her and placed his hand on her shoulder to steady himself....... a lovely muddy handprint was there for the rest of the day :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

The Juggler
07-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Should be fun. We are right in the middle of nowhere and have to make all our food and drink for the day outside. Hope the weather stays good.

so jealous, there was a conference at my uni but it was £100 for the day!!! they are running a course soon for a week but god only knows how much that'll be. Are you getting it funded or splashing out.

Perhaps we should book a centre/campsite and get you to train us lot once you're finished.xx

manjay
07-09-2010, 07:05 PM
so jealous, there was a conference at my uni but it was £100 for the day!!! they are running a course soon for a week but god only knows how much that'll be. Are you getting it funded or splashing out.

Perhaps we should book a centre/campsite and get you to train us lot once you're finished.xx

It's been made available through our network so completely free:D

TammyN
07-09-2010, 07:13 PM
I WOULD LOVE TO DO THIS, IM RESEARCHING THIS AT THE MO AND HAVE BEEN TOLD A CC THAT IS FOREST SCHOOL FOCUSED, IM AWAITING A REPLY WITH AN INVITE :-)
MANJAY WHERE ARE YOU DOING THIS?
SARAH WHERE IN CHESTER?

tAMMY

Trouble
07-09-2010, 07:28 PM
sounds fab :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

manjay
07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Caerwys. North East Wales

tulip0803
07-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I would love to do the proper course. Our FIS put on a playing with the elements day in Pembrey Country park with a lady that runs a forest school for basic forest school/outdoor play/den building/fire making stuff in February :cold: . Unfortunately they put it on a Tuesday and with only a couple of weeks notice. I was lucky that I don't mind on a Tues & could go but other minders missed out. I did mention it to the organiser and I think they are arranging more convenient ones:thumbsup: .

The proper course is something that I plan to do one day.

Enjoy it

miffy
07-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Have a brilliant day!

Miffy xx

mama2three
08-09-2010, 07:34 AM
for anyone in the notts are there is training at the forest sessions in edwinstowe in the tado book , so free!!! I know its not the full training but heading out with preschool for the morning and seeing how it works is still worthwhile , I know the team are happy to stay in touch too and help you follow up...
Then you can pop in here for a cuppa afterwards !! x x

peanuts
08-09-2010, 08:01 AM
sounds great, would love to do something like that. enjoy

manjay
12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Well I had the most fantastic day! The best training ever! Actually it was more like a team building day with a group of colleagues that I don't often get to spend time with. It was absolutely tipping it down to start with but they kitted us all out in waterproof trousers and we spent some time in the Yurt discussing what we wanted from the day. We did natural art pictures, hide and seek and hunt the cuddly toy. We made very elaborate houses for the bugs we found and we made blobster creatures from clay and made up magical stories as they travelled through the woods. We were able to have tea and coffee and eat fab soup that we made on the camp fire and to build dens which we all had to fit in. We were given a piece of card with double sided sticky on it and we had to go off and make a picture using natures pallette and we had lots of team games.

All in all it was a fab day. I have loads of ideas to use with my mindees and best of all I never realised how liberating it would be to have permission to do a "wild wee":laughing: ;) .

I would definitely recommend if anyone gets the chance

sarah707
12-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Wow that sounds brilliant! :D

gegele
12-09-2010, 10:17 AM
i'd love to do something like it for the day.

we have a toddler group in our country park every tuesday and we do things like this every week. kids love it.

last week we did "caterpillar" hunting (bits of brownish wool)

we mimed the life of a caterpillar til buterfly!

puddle exploration : what can i see? what float? what sink?what shape does it make when something falls in...big puddle jumping, i mean circle making!!!:laughing:

and we did purple painting with blackberries....the kids were better than me who ate most of my paint ah ah ah ah ah then we were all purple it was great.

we do it all year long through all weathers! great fun

Blackhorse
12-09-2010, 10:22 AM
that sounds amazing! would love to do that!!!

Polly2
12-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Sounds fab....well all except the 'wild wee' bit :laughing:

Glad you had a good day!

ajs
12-09-2010, 12:58 PM
for anyone in the notts are there is training at the forest sessions in edwinstowe in the tado book , so free!!! I know its not the full training but heading out with preschool for the morning and seeing how it works is still worthwhile , I know the team are happy to stay in touch too and help you follow up...
Then you can pop in here for a cuppa afterwards !! x x

i haven't had a tado recently is it in the old one and are you going on it