PDA

View Full Version : What course do childminders have to have in place by 2015

Hayley G
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I have spoken to the council but the answers I have got are so vague I dont have a clue:blush:

I want to get this training under my belt now! I believe its NVQ3 but wanted confirmation?!

Thanks
H x

Pipsqueak
06-09-2010, 09:24 PM
It is a Level 3 qualification - I believe the NVQ will suffice but I hear they are introducing a new/different/equivelent ?????

Chimps Childminding
06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
It is a Level 3 qualification - I believe the NVQ will suffice but I hear they are introducing a new/different/equivelent ?????

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! My NVQ 3 will have to do or I will be giving cm up :panic: I really struggled to do that and I couldn't face having to do something else :( i'm getting too old for this studying lark!!!! :D

Pipsqueak
06-09-2010, 10:03 PM
sorry phrased that badly - your NVQ will still be valid - sorry

kats
07-09-2010, 06:53 AM
I am NNEB qualified 27 years ago, does any one know if that will be good enough????? Thanks :)

Carol M
07-09-2010, 07:12 AM
My friend who was a Nanny did an add on to make sure her level 3 was full and up to date qualification.
Carol xx

shelly2012
07-09-2010, 07:16 AM
What about scotland is that the same. this is the first i've heard we need to do any qualifications.

Alibali
07-09-2010, 07:24 AM
What about scotland is that the same. this is the first i've heard we need to do any qualifications.

Scotland have a stay of execution at present, but I believe it will be coming soon!

Chimps Childminding
07-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Thats ok then!!! Thanks!!! I seriously couldn't conteplate anything else at present, I am struggling enough to cope day to day work as it is :laughing:

Wheelybug
07-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Is it definite that childminders need a level 3 qualification by 2015? The only info I can find says that the govt are ''considering'' making it a requirement by 2015 and that was the old govt. I wonder if it will still be the case with the new govt. bearing in mind they need to cut spending and save money.

joshie
07-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I am NNEB qualified 27 years ago, does any one know if that will be good enough????? Thanks :)

I believe that if you qualified quite some time back (sorry, no offence) then you may have to complete one or two units of a level 3, basically just to refresh and update yourself. That was the last thing i heard. HTH???:blush:

Ripeberry
07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Is it definite that childminders need a level 3 qualification by 2015? The only info I can find says that the govt are ''considering'' making it a requirement by 2015 and that was the old govt. I wonder if it will still be the case with the new govt. bearing in mind they need to cut spending and save money.

Just watch, they will say we all need it but won't offer much help. If it gets like that then I'll be quiting as I'm not forking out £££s when it's quite difficult to find mindees around here anyway

rickysmiths
07-09-2010, 12:36 PM

I don't see how they can make it complusory for all existing childminders to do. Iknow to be an Ofsted Inspector now you have to be a Graduate but they haven't made all the ones they currently employ go back to university and take a dregree. If a childminder has consistently got Satifactory or more inspections then they are meeting all the requirements of their Registration or more.

To ask a Childminder who has been providing good services for years and has undertaken ongiong training all through their career to do an 'A Level' effectively in order to stay registered is an absolute nonsence. I think and hope the powers that be are beginning to realise the impact of making it complusory for all will have on the provision of Childminded care if they go ahead. A lot of experienced minders will give up.

It is great that they have indroduced it as a requirement for new minders, but no other organisation would get away with expecting all current staff to keep on re-taking basic qualifications every few years. Surely this is why we are provided with on going proffessional training? This way us 'old fogies' keep up-to-date.

To be honest as a Mum of a 17yr old and a 16yr old who have grown up fit, healthy and good all rounded children. A Childminder of 17yrs who has minded countless children some of them for years and children, of all ages from 0-14yrs old. I have never got less than Good at Inspections I have a Quality Accreditation and I attend Training regularly. I have sat on various NCMA Committees over the years and belong to a Local NCMA Childminding Group. I have aN NVQ Level 4 equivilant, 4NVQ Level 3 equivilants and 10 NVQ Level 2 equivilants but not in Childcare. Plus 23 years experience in the workplace.

I frankly find it insulting that I should now be required to sit an A'Level in Childcare.

Sorry rant over! :blush:

Millenium
01-10-2010, 02:48 PM
I couldn't agree more rickysmiths- well said!

I fail to understand all this jumping on the bandwagon regarding training. When I started minding (in the same era as you), we didn't have all of this and provided good quality homebased childcare as I continue to do now and it still delivers me an outstanding in all areas at most inspections every three years or so.

Also when I started, we didn't have CRB checks - it was just a check done by local social services - I still do not have a CRB check (nor does my husband) and I have it in writing from Ofsted that we are not in any way in breach of their regulations despite many other "know it all" minders telling me I am in breach and should be reported!

Ofsted willingly admit that they are still catching up with all minders who registered prior to the change (I think it was 1999), and they have a very long way to go. I think they have put a hold on the catch-up due to the changes with the Vetting & Barring scheme - let's see what happens with that!

I have never ever been asked by a parent of a propective mindee about qualifications although they do see my standard training certificates for such things as Paediatric First Aid, Food Hygiene, Safeguarding Children etc.

Also where do minders find the money and time to do the training?? Don't get me wrong, I am not being critical of anyone's desire to better themselves but it must always be as a result of personal choice. If I undertake any training it has got to add value to what I do..................enough said.

wendywu
01-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Well i will be giving up i n 2015 then because there is no way i am doing a level 3 NVQ.

Not unless they let me off ALL other paper work while i complete it. Then i would consider doing it :panic:

caz3007
01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
I will also be giving up. I dont have the time to go to college and to do coursework as well as work and look after my own family

PixiePetal
01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I would give up too :( . I will be 50 then and enough is enough

well said rickysmiths :thumbsup:

Bushpig
01-10-2010, 06:19 PM
I would give up childminding, definitely.

I LOVE childminding, I gave up a senior design position to train to be one, I meet (and exceed) OFSTED's requirements every day, off my own bat. This would be too much for me to do on top of everything else.

caz3007
01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
I would give up too :( . I will be 50 then and enough is enough

well said rickysmiths :thumbsup:

You are the same age as me then :laughing: My son would be 13 then so I feel I could work away from the home if push came to shove, but would like to be a minder if I can

PixiePetal
01-10-2010, 07:16 PM
You are the same age as me then :laughing: My son would be 13 then so I feel I could work away from the home if push came to shove, but would like to be a minder if I can

My youngest is 13 now but I love the child side of minding, was a nanny for 12 years before registering (unqualified). Last year we moved to a lovely farmhouse and there is so much here for little ones - seems a shame to go 'out' to work when we have all this :rolleyes:

sonia ann
01-10-2010, 07:39 PM
I frankly find it insulting that I should now be required to sit an A'Level in Childcare.

I couldn't agree more and I for one will certainly give up if they say I have to do it.:panic:

I qualified as a NNEB in 1977 and an SRN/RSCN in 1981, have worked in a playgroup and ran a toddler group and successfully brought up 4 lovely children of my own and numerous other children in my 14yrs as a CM..........an NVQ at this stage in my life....mmmm....the phrase " teaching your grandmother to suck eggs" comes to mind :D

Pauline
16-10-2010, 10:47 AM
The information I was given some time ago (and it could well be out of date now! :rolleyes:) is that it will only apply to new childminders registering after 2015 to begin with but like I say, it could change.

I don't think there would be enough trainers and courses to expect EVERY childminder to do a course between now and then! :huh:

juejue
16-10-2010, 02:39 PM
I to would pack it in. Just had my 50th birthday. Put 2 daughters through collage and uni......that was stressful enough. There is no way at my age I am doing more work. I think we have far to much now.

But we have been told it has to be done by 2012 :panic:

bandlady
16-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Hi just too say that I have just completed DHC Level 3 which I did from home, distance learning. I have always been very against doing any qualifications as I have been childminding for a long time but......I thoroughly enjoyed doing it loved doing the research and it took me less than four months to complete the whole course. I have four children 15 - 25 and work 50 hours a week and all my family supported me through this and i feel extremely proud of myself for doing this oh and by the way I am also 50!!

Denise

Vikkileeds
12-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I have just finished pre reg course & was told childminders do not need level 3 the gov have not made it compulsory. I have just finished my level 4 and legislation we studied implied the same.

rickysmiths
14-11-2010, 01:03 AM
I have just finished pre reg course & was told childminders do not need level 3 the gov have not made it compulsory. I have just finished my level 4 and legislation we studied implied the same.

The original date for us to all have an NVQ Level 3 was 2010 and it has been put back and put back for existing childminders. I suspect because what will they do if a 'D' Day is reached de-register all of us that don't have it? Imagine the chaos!!

I firmly believe that it will never be implimented because it can't be. If you think about a lot of jobs over the years as changes happen the 'entry' requirements for them change. Ofsted Inspectors are a case. in 2001 when they took over inspecting us you did not need a Degree to be employed as an inspector now you do. Have they made all those currently working go and do a degree? No. Have they sacked them or made them redundent because they don't have a degree? No.

Same thing with Teachers when they made teaching a Graduate entry only profession. Teachers of my generation who indeed are still working had the choice of going to Teacher Training College to get their Teaching Certificate for 3 years or doing a 1 year post graduate year to get it. When the enrty requirements changed they didn't stop all the non-graduate teachers working.

This is why we all should do regular ongoing training and professional development so we keep up-to-date.