PDA

View Full Version : is it ok too...

mr man
06-09-2010, 01:11 PM
sorry its me again, i have had quite a few people ask me for my number for childminding, i do give my card out when they ask. only i had another lady ask today, a teacher friend. she was asking on behalf her freind who needs childminder for a 1 and 2 year old. they go a nursery at the moment but they dont like it. anyway i'd love for them to come and see me, but i am not registred yet. i'm on the very last hurdle, and still waiting :mad: as mentioned in an earlier post.

anyway, is it ok for me to possible mind someones child while im waiting for my reg to come through. my friend told me that she (her friend) wont be eligable for childcare help anyway, and therefore possibly between us we can agree to something - is it illegal ?? !! or will i get in a lot of trouble. :phew:

Mykidsrock
06-09-2010, 01:22 PM
You can look after someone elses children for less than 2 hours a day and for no reward (includes getting a bar of choccie, money, flowers or owing your friend a favor). If you look after them for more than 2 hours or for reward it is unregistered childcare and you can be in a lot of trouble for this and it would seriously hinder your registration.

If you are going to do it and it is for less than 2 hours for NO reward, then I'd ring Ofsted and just left them know you are doing it and give them the parents, child's and hours details so they can confirm with the parent what you state is happening and it is for no reward.

If you do it and you don't inform Ofsted - expect an unannounced visit from them to see if you are providing unregistered care.

Hope that helps x

mr man
06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
ooohhh thanks for your advice. i will definalty be waiting for my certficate until i childmind. no way am i going to risk anything.

gazanne
07-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I rang ofsted last friday because I had a child lined up to start this week because i thought id be registered ( just waiting for my 16yr DD crb to come back) and ofsted said i could look after her as long as no payment of any kind passed hands including flowers wine ect. In otherwords you were doing someone a favour. I was very suprised. xxx

*donnalouise*
07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I was also in the same boat. I was waiting on a variation to start 1/9 to care for a 5 mth old baby....
.. they told me if I didnt get the variation I could care for the baby without payment (until my own child turned 1 - which was 7 days after). You are just doing someone a favour - looking after a 'friends' child for the day for free.

As it happens my variation did come in time - so i didnt need to provide 'free' childcare.

As long as no payment / flowers / chocolates / reward takes place then i think you will be fine

mr man
07-09-2010, 08:25 PM
oh wow - i'm literally sat a home and doing nothing - except resisiting the tempatation to pull my hair out :o

i'm thinking if i get asked again then i may do it for free until my certifcate somes, becasue at the end of the day they are potential mindees.
and it'll be good to get practice !!!!! for when i'm offical.

thanks for the help. :)

Curly Quavers
07-09-2010, 08:29 PM
If I were you and had so many enquiries I would start by having parents round to see you and your house and use the 2 hours per day for settling in sessions. That way when your cert arrives you are ready to get stuck in straight away and get paid :clapping: :clapping: