PDA

View Full Version : Retainer question

tania
05-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a parent coming to see me tomorrow to send her 3 children to me before and after school but term time only. She is quite happy to pay a retainer for school holidays but I am unsure as to what to charge. Do I charge half of what I would normally get paid (3 hours per day) or half of what the I would get paid over school holidays as they would have been with me all day and not only 3 hours?

Tania

Pipsqueak
05-09-2010, 05:06 PM
yes a retainer is generally half of the normal contracted fee - so the usual fee that you charge during term time.
if the client then choose to use your service during the holidays they would then have to pay the remainder of the outstanding fee.

tania
05-09-2010, 05:07 PM
That is what I thought. Thank you!

Pipsqueak
05-09-2010, 05:42 PM
That is what I thought. Thank you!

you are welcome:)

davecoults1878
11-09-2010, 12:32 AM
hiya i would like to ask you all a question and hopefully get a proper idea off whats ment to be going on because im a bit confused , i have read a few post about retainer fees and think that i understand them but i dont think i do lol !!!!

my daughter goes to the CM 4 hrs a day, mon weds and fri and in the school holidays will go all day on the said days
i pay 21 pound a day , on holidays i pay 29.75 plus i pay 5.25 a day for a retainer fee
should i be paying a retainer fee ?
is the CM right to be asking me to be a retaining fee ?
i spoke to her about it and she told me she really isnt that clear on the retainer fee her self i read on the back off the ncma contract that theres is no need to be paying a retainer fee over a long period of time

can someone please point me in the right direction please

thank you

sarah707
11-09-2010, 01:10 PM
hiya i would like to ask you all a question and hopefully get a proper idea off whats ment to be going on because im a bit confused , i have read a few post about retainer fees and think that i understand them but i dont think i do lol !!!!

my daughter goes to the CM 4 hrs a day, mon weds and fri and in the school holidays will go all day on the said days
i pay 21 pound a day , on holidays i pay 29.75 plus i pay 5.25 a day for a retainer fee
i spoke to her about it and she told me she really isnt that clear on the retainer fee her self i read on the back off the ncma contract that theres is no need to be paying a retainer fee over a long period of time

thank you

As explained in your other post, if the childminder is providing wrap around care (before and after school) then yes s/he would normally charge a retainer.

As the original question on this thread was answered, the retainer would usually be half the normal contracted fee to keep the child's place open.

However every childminder works differently and in my experience pre-printed contracts are only as effective as the person who fills them in.

If your childminder is not clear on her charges then that is the most important thing s/he needs to resolve.

She needs a clear fee structure with written examples of when she does and does not charge.

I suggest she goes to her development officer or local advisor and asks urgent advice.

I hope that helps! Please ask again if you have any other questions :D

candy cat
11-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I got a lot of info on MM legal lines as I am getting a retainer to hold a place for a lo starting next march /april.......due to mums job i had to be sure!
I use MM contracts but was advised to do a seperate bit about retainer as MM don't do this on contract. I felt Ncma contradicted themselves regarding retainers were not to used for long periods?

1, You can only charge a retainer if you have a place......you can not fill this place if a retainer is being charged.

2. Only charge when you are available to work ie I don't charge for my hols/bank hols so I can't charge retainer for these days.

The Juggler
11-09-2010, 03:07 PM

thank you

what/when is the retainer for - unused hours during term-time. If your little one is under 5 or not yet in school then yes, most cm's would charge a retainer for hours the child is at nursery. if your little one is already at school, I'm not sure what the retainer would be for, TBH.

just saw your other post on the other thread so ignore my reply!