PDA

View Full Version : frustrated and starting to lose hope!

nads0804
03-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Hi everyone,

I am a pre-reg from Glasgow and I am coming on this to vent my frustration at how SLOW this process of becoming a childminder really is :( I'm starting to lose hope and just feel like there are so many obstacles in my way.

I have lessened my hours at my current job in the hope that I could put my all into advertising and networking around my area in order to gain mindees..however it seems like its going to be a lifetime until I am actually registered and therefore I feel it would be silly to actually put the word around in case i'm letting parents down :( I haven't even received word of a pre-reg inspection and altho the care commission have my application, they keep requesting something else n have now requested a financial statement from me ....and if i'm honest I don't have a clue what this is !! Neither did the bank!! does anybody know what it is they r after?

Since I have the time at the mo I just want to be sure I have everything covered but no matter how much I do I feel like it's not going to be good enough :(

Sorry about the longness of this mail but could anybody let me know if theres anything else I should be doing; I feel without the support of this place I could go insane with impatience!:mad: lol

1. I have had all people over 16 in my household disclosed

2. I will be registering for first aid (im unsure of what first aid course I should register to? They vary in length; does anybody know which is sufficient?)

3. gained a certificate in Food Hygeine level 2.

4. I have had my house secured and fitted with mains fire alarm and fire blanket (I have tried as much as possible to secure my garden but unfortunately it is shared and I am limited in what i'm allowed to do!)

5. Got public liability insurance in place

6. was hoping to be able to say that I am working towards a childcare qualification but the courses iv tried to register to all require that u r employed in a early years setting because this is where they test u. Apparently with things like SVQ3 playwork, childmiding does not count as an early years setting and they cant test u at ur house.

haha ok I think I have rambled on quite enuff. Sorry everyone, just needed somewhere to let it all out!! ANY advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Blackhorse
03-09-2010, 06:51 AM
first of all : hi there!

I know what you are going through...It took me nearly a year to get registered....

as to your progress:
I think you have covered most of what I had to do, but I know they have changed the application process and the documentation that goes with it.

I would phone up your CCO to find out exactly what they say is missing so you have a list of things you can get done.

Have you been in contact with your local SCMA development officer? She will be able to advice you even better and she should know which first aid courses you should do.

The one we do here in south lanarkshire is a two day pediatric first aid course and it was organised by scma but run by an independent first aider. I can give you more details of who runs the course over PM...dont know if I can post this here...You have to do the course every 3 years to keep up to date

new for scotland is that you have to register as a food business if you are going to provide cooked food for your minded children.

if you are driving you need to have adequate insurance for taking mindees in car too. that is not covered in your public liability

also you need to speek to your home and content insurer. most wont include accidents caused by mindees so you might want to change who covers you. but definately speak to them otherwise you may find your are not insured if they dont cover you.

start advertising, but it is hard to see parents if you dont have a certificate or any indication of when you may get it.
I phoned the CC every week to pester them as my CCO was off longterm sickness and they would not replace her!!!!!

Chin up, it will all work out in the end!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask!