PDA

View Full Version : When to recieve payment?

Star
30-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi, I wonder if anyone has advice for this type of situation?
I provide a service for a family who are split. Mum has been paying on time monthly when dropping off or collecting her child.
Now Dad is going to pay but does not drop off or collect the child. Do I have to be available in my time when it suits him for him to make payment? He insists on paying in cash and not during my childminding hours. From Sept I am only working before and after school. I currently ask for payment on the childs first day present in a month and charge for a calender month at a time (parents request).
Any suggestions gratefully recieved on how and when to ask for regular payment.
I aviod contact with this parent as once at my home I cannot get rid of him for hours!!
All other parents pay during childminding hours.
Do you think I should suggest that I will be available at a reasonable and convenient time on payment due date, other than that it is classed as late payment? At present he is saying if he can't make that date, but can a week later it is not late payment.
Hope this makes sense!

Star

snufflepuff
30-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Difficult one! To be honest you probably just need to say that payment is due on X date and you will be in to receive it between X and X times. If it is not with you by the end of that day you will be adding on late payment charges each day.
Why can't he pay by bank transfer? So much easier!

sarah707
30-08-2010, 06:46 PM
If he does not pay on the day in the contract then he pays late fees! Simple as that.

He should come during working hours... just like anyone else, your time is your own.

You need to write him a letter making it absolutely clear... also offering the option of payment by bacs.

Good luck! :D

funemnx
30-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Sometimes, if I'm not in, parents put money in an envelope through my letterbox. I'm happy for them to do this as it means I get paid on time. I write my invoices in duplicate so they have a copy and so do I.:)

Tina O
30-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I would make it very clear that payment must be made on a certain day and between a certain time.... afterall you wouldn't be able to go and pay other services such as a garage, shop out of hours as they wouldn't be there, just because we work from home doesn't make it 'open all hours' .

make it clear that you have working hours and you stick to them, but if he doesn't pay on time have a late payment policy and implement it, mine is withdrawal of childminding services until arrears paid in full, (I'm not a charity i have bills to pay) xx

Star
30-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Hi All,
Thank you so much for the advice.
It all sounds so much clearer when somebody explains it, than when it's in my head!!!
I will compile a letter including the advice you have all given.
Thank you
This parent seems to think I am at his beck and call!! On Friday I was out for a meal and he rang my mobile (I didn't answer) leaving a message saying "Don't know where you are, but have called at your house with a new timetable for *****"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then today, bank holiday, he called at the house unannounced!!!!! I was in my pj's and so didn't answer the door!
Parents!! Why do minded children have them!!

Star

Star
30-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh and forgot to say he will only pay by cash! Not cheque or bacs!

Star

Star
30-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Oh and he wont push payment through letter box.

Tina O
30-08-2010, 07:36 PM

Star

well atleast you know the cheque will not bounce xx:clapping:

rickysmiths
31-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Don't forget to make sure he has signed the Contract and it states now that he is responsible for paying the whole of the fees.

I always try to get both parents to sign so they are both resposible for making sure the fees are paid. This way if there is a problem with payment I can request it from either parent, if you see what I mean.

mrs c
31-08-2010, 06:02 AM
It sounds as though you have a parent who wants to be a pain. If he does call with cash make sure you keep him at the door and make it clear that you are just on your way out.

The Juggler
31-08-2010, 07:05 AM

Star

then if he is going to be that fussy it's up to him to ensure he comes to you on a time that you will be in on the date that you need paying.

Otherwise, he'll have to sort standing order or post a cheque.

Star
31-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Yep he's pain. I have always dealt with Mum before for fees.
I have learnt the hard way to keep him at the door or at most in the hall. I close all doors internally before I answer the door!
All is written in contracts except who is liable for paying. I think I will add clause, if Dad doesn't pay I will approach Mum. But I will definitely send a letter. They are about to go on hols, so I will have all ready and be prepared for when they get back.
He is always turning up without an appointment, when he doesn't have the child. I am going to re-address making appointments before turing up to discuss issues.
I could go on and on really, but now is the time I must address all issues in writing I think.
All comments have been gratefully recieved and appreciated.
Thank you

jadylasa
31-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Another point to mention to him is that this is your income. you have bill to pay and can't say to your mortgage/land lord that you are going to pay when X's dad pays you. and also you need to provide snacks and resorces for his child, which comes out of the income from the business.

jadylasa
31-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Sorry *BILLS! I have no idea who bill is!:laughing:

Star
31-08-2010, 05:35 PM
:laughing:
Good thinking ta :thumbsup: