PDA

View Full Version : What to charge!

ManicMum
29-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Hello

I was told on Friday that my hours/pay is about to diminish by two thirds. Currently have 2 children 3-7.30pm but been told will only have 1 child from 11-3. Yes, I was told, not asked. I was quite happy to have 9-3 free but been told will need to pick up from morning nursery and have child until school finish time when I will drop child to parent at school gates as I go past to collect my own children from their school. Parent seems to be under impression I will be happy to do this and for 4 hours pay a day. Hmmmm!!!

Thing, is, this cuts right into my day. Not enough time to go anywhere in mornings as nursery finishes 11.15am, then can't do anything I want to (like housework or shopping) as will have the mindee. Then can't after school as my other children come home and it's usual chaos. I feel this is big intrusion for £15ish a day. Should I be charging from 8am? I am willing to have children during the day but only if it pays (ie. 8-6) or would even do 11-5 or 6, but 11-3 seems not worth it. Am I being unreasonable?

Twinkles
29-08-2010, 04:46 PM
How rude of them to 'tell' you and not 'ask' you. That would really annoy me and if I were you I'd start advertising. It is taking up a place for four hours pay !

gigglinggoblin
29-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I used to do playgroup pick up but I dont think I will be doing so again for all the reasons you gave. I really started resenting it after a while and the money wasnt worth it. Either introduce a minimum fee that you will be happy with or explain that unfortunately you cant do it, if parents have been rude enough then you dont have to feel bad at all!

The Juggler
29-08-2010, 05:22 PM
i charge in full for children of nursery age - they are taking up an under 5 space

tashaleee
29-08-2010, 05:31 PM
If you dont want to then dont do it :thumbsup:

However, if you do decide to then financially it has to be worth your while so you could charge 8-3 (or whatever hours you want) as holding a full time space and breaking up your day? Then up to parents to go ahead with or not......

Carol M
29-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I do 3 different sessions
8am till1pm
9.30 till 2.30
1pm till6pm
I price accordingly, middle one only a few £'s less than full day rate. Am one most popular so more than pm one.Any hours different it would be full day rate, so 11 till 3 would be full day rate.
You can have the pleasure of telling her your charges for these hours.
Carol xx

wendywu
29-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Just tell them the minimum you would be willing to accept , then it is up to them :(

ManicMum
30-08-2010, 12:53 PM
thank you so much. that really helps. I expect they will think I am being greedy but tough. I would feel resentful from outset so would only get worse. I am going to say it is 8-3 or nothing.

cheers:)

ps. forgot to say too they said was inconvenient getting kids back at 7. This is despite me giving them dinner at no extra charge and taking them home as parents don't drive. If had to walk wouldn't get home til 7.45pm. Do you ever feel like a total mug?

miffy
30-08-2010, 02:34 PM
If they want to change the hours on the contract they must give you the notice period on the contract - you don't have to do things immediately to suit them so if your contract says 4 weeks notice then that's what you should have.

I wouldn't give dinner or drop off home for them at no extra charge - it's a liberty even if they appreciate it which this family definitely don't!

Miffy xx

the_raisons
31-08-2010, 06:10 PM
You have to be happy otherwise you will start to resent parents and not enjoy childminding.

ManicMum
02-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi

I said I would be charging 8-3. Parent decided they had made mistake and should have left things as they were. But then couldn't get child back into afternoon nursery as place given away. Their work hours not changing yet anyway so instead of trying to save on costs with me, just increased them as now having to pay extra for child from 12.30 instead of 3, as it was. Pay increase for me and cost increase for parent. Sometimes being greedy just doesn't work!!

I am charging a slightly higher rate than other childminders but this includes food and lifts. If they were paying the basic £3.50 then would charge extra for food and lifts. I get to take kids back at 7ish instead of waiting for parent to walk here. I probably do too much though.

xx