PDA

View Full Version : EYFS Profile

samanthat6987
29-08-2010, 02:49 PM
First of all I want to say thank you in advance for any help and advice you may be able to give as I am really confused and secondly sorry as it is sooo long.

Here goes...

I have a child that I provide full time childcare for, child attends a pre school in the morning but I have child well before and long after each day. Child will be 5 in June 2011 and parents have decided that the child will not go to primary school until september 2011 and go straight in to year one. The thing is pre school has said they can only have child within their setting until the march so child will go back to being with me all day like before child started pre school from march through september 2011.

I thought that what ever setting the child spent the most time in was responsible for doing the eyfs profile when they turn 5, Normally school in reception year? But in this instance child will be with me.

So will it be upto me to do this as I was told when intially went on EYFS training ages ago? However the NCMA said that I dont need to do it as the school will conduct their own assessment. Does this not undermine the point of the EYFS and its assessment profile?

What should I be doing???? I am confused

:eek:

Playmate
29-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I personally think you should do the assessment (not quite sure what I would do, but would read up on it and seek help) as you say it underminds what eyfs is all about. Maybe If Sarah is around later she may offer some more advice.

sarah707
29-08-2010, 03:00 PM
If the child is going to be with you for their Reception year of school then my understanding is that you have to be registered with the local authority as a provider of education (rather than a childminder who provides wrap around care).

I think you need to take further advice from your Local Authority because someone has to do the profile for the child at the end of reception and if it is you, then you will need training and access to the profile documentation.

Sorry but this is not my area of expertise. Good luck :D

miffy
29-08-2010, 03:03 PM
There's some information here about the assessment arrangements

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/83999.

I think you should be working closely with the preschool and doing the assessment together.

Just out of interest why have preschool said the child can't attend after March 2011?

Miffy xx

miffy
29-08-2010, 03:07 PM
If the child is going to be with you for their Reception year of school then my understanding is that you have to be registered with the local authority as a provider of education (rather than a childminder who provides wrap around care).

I think you need to take further advice from your Local Authority because someone has to do the profile for the child at the end of reception and if it is you, then you will need training and access to the profile documentation.

Sorry but this is not my area of expertise. Good luck :D

I would have said school should do it too but if the child is 5 in June 2011 then she is out of eyfs on 31 August 2011 but she won't have started school then!

Miffy xx

samanthat6987
30-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Thank you everyone.

I dont know why preschool has said no after march but i dont think working with them will achieve much my own child has just left to start reception and childs development file which was accumalated over 18months contained a few casual comments repeating what the development matters says 4 photos and no observations!!!!!!! (outstanding setting that is highly sought after)

Think I will get on to this after after my holiday.

:(

miffy
30-08-2010, 10:25 AM
If preschool are no help then I'd ask parents permission to approach the reception teacher at school and see what they say - they might be willing to help you with this.

Miffy xx