PDA

View Full Version : off to Scotland (Glasgow base) soon

RedDragon
29-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Don't know if anyone remembers but back in February instead of booking flights to Spain I accidently booked them to Glasgow.

How did I make that mistake? It was easy lol - I pressed the wrong buttons!!!

But anyway I have got over the mistake and we are going in October half term to a gorgeous apartment in the centre of Glasgow.

So - where shall we go?

We don't drive so will be using public transport and we are based in Glasgow (family of 5 - children are ages 9, 16, 18).
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
29-08-2010, 11:29 AM
there is loads of shopping in glasgow
you can easily get the train (45mins) into Edinburgh
train to Loch Lomond (Balloch) doesnt take long either and it is ver nice there
there is a sea life centre there and it's nice for walking. you can also get a boat to take you a trip on the loch
there are nice museums in glasgow and eating places.

it really depends what interests you all have!

and if I remember correctly you have been before?? did you not go to mother india for food???

RedDragon
29-08-2010, 11:37 AM
there is loads of shopping in glasgow
you can easily get the train (45mins) into Edinburgh
train to Loch Lomond (Balloch) doesnt take long either and it is ver nice there
there is a sea life centre there and it's nice for walking. you can also get a boat to take you a trip on the loch
there are nice museums in glasgow and eating places.

it really depends what interests you all have!

and if I remember correctly you have been before?? did you not go to mother india for food???

Yes, we went to Mother India - well remembered! and the food was wonderful! Wonder if they allow 9 year olds in there (can't remember if it was adults only), if so we will most probably eat there every night!!!! lol

little chickee
29-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I do remeber the boobah with the flights - have a lovely holiday anyway - i am in north east scotland so a bit far to meet up but there is loads to do in Glasgow - look out for somewhere called Xscape (i think) if you want indoor activities.

little chickee
29-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Just googled Xscape - its at Braehead.

RedDragon
29-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Just googled Xscape - its at Braehead.

8.9 miles from our apartment - fantastic!!!!!
:jump for joy:

Zoomie
29-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I've just spent a week in Largs, which is a short train trip from Glasgow.

I travelled by car to Largs, but didn't use my car till the last day, and even then we could easily have caught a taxi to Kelburn Castle / Estate.

Visited Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae, and saw the Vikings at Vikingar.

Hope you have a lovely time.

shelly2012
29-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm only 30 mins drive from Glasgow :) What would you be interested in doing? Check out Xscape website most activities need to be booked and Breahead shopping centre is next to it too. another great shopping centre is Silverburn but as ur in city centre loads of shopping there.

Science centre is great day for the kids and book a film at the imax theatre.

Loads of museums I love kelvingrove.

hayleychildcare
29-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Im just back from a week at Wemyss bay. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You can catch the train straight from Glasgow central station to Wemyss bay then the ferry to Isle of Bute is at the same place that the train stops. Ferry runs every 30 mins:thumbsup: