PDA

View Full Version : if a parent reduces hours

Mookins
27-08-2010, 09:29 AM
because its them losing hours due to end of tourist season is this when you say about a retainer?

like 50% of contracted fees for the ours not using?
im sure iys right but want to confirm

xxx

onceinabluemoon
27-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I would just say 28 days notice to reduce hours (or whatever your contract for termination period states).

I honestly don't see how you can charge a retainer for 8 or 9 months until the 2011 tourist season begins. Unless the parent specifically asks you to retain the place of course, but then you are stuck with having that place in use for half fees for 8+ months which isn't really economically viable either...

Mouse
27-08-2010, 09:54 AM
It would depend what the initial contract said. If it was for the full hours, then hours dropped, you'd need to negotiate a new contract with new terms. If you can negotiate a retainer with parents that would be the time to do so. They may agree to pay a retainer for the hours they don't need now, but will need again at some time in the future, but they might not be prepared for that if yo haven't already discussed it.

If you haven't discussed retainers before, the chance is they will want a new contract, just on the new hours. Of course they then run the risk of you not having spaces available when they need to increase the hours again, but they may prefer to do that than pay for lots of hours they're not going to use.

Mookins
27-08-2010, 10:00 AM
righto...am getting myself confuddled and my spelling doesnt help:blush:

right i understand it now, did think that retainer sounded odd hence why i asked...glad i did now...i asked hubby and hes all "i dunno im not getting involved":rolleyes:

seeing it written down that would be expensive for parent:( im trying to be fair as i can and make sense of it all too lol
il say to her about changing contract but running the risk

cheers peeps

xx

Mouse
27-08-2010, 10:05 AM
righto...am getting myself confuddled and my spelling doesnt help:blush:

right i understand it now, did think that retainer sounded odd hence why i asked...glad i did now...i asked hubby and hes all "i dunno im not getting involved":rolleyes:

seeing it written down that would be expensive for parent:( im trying to be fair as i can and make sense of it all too lol
il say to her about changing contract but running the risk

cheers peeps

xx

I would also make it clear that if the hours drop too low, you may have to consider terminating the contract if someone else came along wanting longer hours, or you would give parents the option of paying a retainer then to keep hold of their space. Be very honest about it all from the beginning then you both know where you stand.

Personally, I would ask for a minimum number of days/hours per week. Decide what is the least you would accept and start the negotiations there. What you don't want to do is agree too few hours then find that you have more work coming along, but can't take it on because you're committed to this family.