PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Users

claire'scherubs
26-08-2010, 09:50 PM
For all of you that use facebook thought you might be interested in this, I know I wouldn't want too many people being able to pinpoint my location

Facebook
launched Facebook Places yesterday. Anyone can find out where you are
when you are logged in. It gives the actual address & map location
of where you are as you use Facebook. Make sure your kids know. TO UNDO:
go to"Account", "Account Settings", "Notifications", then scroll down
...to "Places" and uncheck the 2 boxes. Make sure to SAVE changes and
re-post this!!

angeldelight
26-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Thank you for that

I have done it

I will post it on my wall for everyone to see

Angel xx

charlie potato
26-08-2010, 10:23 PM
thanks for that. gonna post it as my status xx

christine e
27-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Hi

Forwarded to known facebook users. DD just asked if this only applies if you access facebook via mobile phone?

Thanks for sharing - I have removed the ticks anyway

Cx

Tribe_mummy
27-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the info will do mine and DS's now x

The Juggler
27-08-2010, 07:56 AM
i've just seen it , done it and reposted. thanks for letting us know. Why don't FB notify you when they do this!:panic:

Lincsminder
28-08-2010, 06:27 AM
This was posted on a friends wall:

the good news is last I checked facebook places was only being launched in the states and they haven't said if/when it will come over here. and its for mobile phones with a built in GPS. and you have to download it to your phon...e. so this isnt happening to you yet.

the bad news is that the instructions you posted will only stop facebook from emailling you when it updates your facebook places location. it doesn't stop it from happening.

if you want to switch off the settings controlling facebook places right now, before it even makes it to the UK:

go to "account", "privacy settings", "customise settings", then look for "places I check into" and select "custom". this brings up a little window, and you can set it to "only me" in a little drop box. then click the "save settings" button.

underneath "places I check into" should be the phrase "Include me in "People here now" after I check in" with a box next to it. IF the box is ticked, remove the tick.

then a few options below that is "Friends can check me in to places" which you can switch to disabled.

after you sort out those three bits facebook places cannot display any info about you.