PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

nads0804
24-08-2010, 10:05 PM
:) hi guys,

I'm from Glasgow and I am just wondering if anybody knows the rules with regards to smoking. I have one smoker in the house who won't be present during the childminding... would they still have something to say about it?

Thanks

sarah707
25-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Smoking should not happen on the premises or in rooms where children will be playing.

You need to look at how you can keep children safe from second hand smoke / smoke in furnishings etc.

In Scotland the standards state that you must ensure -

'Children and young people are cared for in a safe, hygienic, smoke-free, pleasant and stimulating environment.'

Hth :D

Mollymop
25-08-2010, 02:04 PM
I used to be a smoker. I gave up 3 months ago so that means that I spent 2 years minding being a smoker. I only used to smoke outside.

Even though you are allowed to smoke in your home after the children have gone home ( not allowed to snoke around the children) it will still smell of smoke and taint everything for when the children come back the next day, etc. So I suggest the smoker only smokes outside even when you are not working.

HTH x

The Juggler
25-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I used to be a smoker. I gave up 3 months ago so that means that I spent 2 years minding being a smoker. I only used to smoke outside.

Even though you are allowed to smoke in your home after the children have gone home ( not allowed to snoke around the children) it will still smell of smoke and taint everything for when the children come back the next day, etc. So I suggest the smoker only smokes outside even when you are not working.

HTH x

ditto, I smoked for 1st year of minding but only ever outside (always had because of the kids anyhow). I suggest gettting a gazebo and a patio warmer given the winter months coming up.

Daftbat
26-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Smoking should not happen on the premises or in rooms where children will be playing.

You need to look at how you can keep children safe from second hand smoke / smoke in furnishings etc.

In Scotland the standards state that you must ensure -

'Children and young people are cared for in a safe, hygienic, smoke-free, pleasant and stimulating environment.'

Hth :D

Don't get me wrong - abhor smoking. Its not always possible for people to smoke outside and if people choose to do it then what they do in their own home is up to them so long as it is outside working hours AND they are prepared to suffer the consequences of what smoking in their home itself will do for their own business. My father smokes and when he comes to visit - outside of my working hours - he smokes in my conservatory with the window open. When he has gone i go mad with the febreeze etc and ventilate the room. I hate him smoking but have accepted that if i want to see him i have to compromise - he is old, ill (not smoking related directly but he knows and i know it hasn't helped) and i know he won't give up and wouldn't come to visit if i imposed a ban. I tell my customers that my father visits and smokes but its never during working hours and they have all been happy.

Tinglesnark
26-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Don't get me wrong - abhor smoking. Its not always possible for people to smoke outside and if people choose to do it then what they do in their own home is up to them so long as it is outside working hours AND they are prepared to suffer the consequences of what smoking in their home itself will do for their own business. My father smokes and when he comes to visit - outside of my working hours - he smokes in my conservatory with the window open. When he has gone i go mad with the febreeze etc and ventilate the room. I hate him smoking but have accepted that if i want to see him i have to compromise - he is old, ill (not smoking related directly but he knows and i know it hasn't helped) and i know he won't give up and wouldn't come to visit if i imposed a ban. I tell my customers that my father visits and smokes but its never during working hours and they have all been happy.

sorry but as an ex smoker myself that never smoked indoors i dont agree with this statement :thumbsup:
if its raining, get a brolly. if its cold, wear a coat.
:D

IMO there is absolutely no excuse for smoking anywhere near a child and i think it would be incredibly unprofessional to allow someone else to smoke in your premises where the children would be :thumbsup: I dont allow my own mother to smoke near my children in her own home because it is just not acceptable, for the short amount of time that we are with her she can go without, use nicotine replacement or go outside. I spent my whole childhood in a blue haze and gave up smoking so that my own didnt have to go through it :thumbsup:

bear in mind that as a reformed smoker, i am one of those people that dont have patience with the smokers excuse - 'cause i have used them all myself and do get on the old soap box over it all :laughing:

i was a 25-40 a day smoker so i know all about the addiction and then the giving up with no stabilisers -

maybe the other person in your home would understand if you explained the EYFS to themm and how their smoking could affect your business? Perhaps you could set them up with a little shed or something outside?

good luck with whatever you decide, hope it works out for you

:thumbsup:

mrsoliver
26-08-2010, 10:49 AM
I am another ex-smoker who always smoked outside.

As a parent, I wouldn't be happy with using a CM where people smoked in the house. I think you can tell - it gets in to the fabrics and stains the walls etc.

sweets
26-08-2010, 12:39 PM
i look after a child who paretns smoke, they told me once that they only smoke outside which i believed as when i pick her up occasionally there are fag ends all over the floor by the side door (classy! not).

but when this child comes to me she stinks of smoke, her hair, her clothes and her bag so i have my suspisions that they smoke inddors too as i cant imagine the smell would get onto their DD if they only smoked outside or would it?