PDA

View Full Version : Health Assessment - everything is dependant on this!

nessynoodle
23-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Hello all

My first thread :)

I have been in the process of registering as a childminder for a while now and have everything done including pre-reg visit, just waiting to here if im considered sane enough!

I had an assessment the other week with a different doctor to usual, someone health management arranged with. It went fine but I still have no idea what the outcome will be. I had an eating disorder a few years ago and also took a (very smalll) overdose in 2007. There was a lot going on in my family and it was a cry for help - which I have told ofsted and my doctor. I was honest about everything which I hope helps, but I am really starting to panic. I have children due to start on Tuesday next week and as far as they are concerned I am just waiting for my certificate of registration.

I realise this sounds stupid that I took them on but I think I got too confident as I myself know for sure that I am safe to care for children (I have been doing it for a long time just not as a minder!). I didn't really think about the fact that they could look into all of this.. Before I knew about the meeting I started advertising in advance to ensure I could start asap. I have phoned Ofsted and IF everything is OK and I'm 'suitable' then I should have confirmation very son, end of week ish...but what if that doesn't happen and I have to be honest with the parents?! Or worse think of some lie which is so not me.....I am losing sleep over this.....has any had very similar experiences? Fairly recent problems (I have had depression recently too) and had to go to an appointment for health management...please tell me your experiences and put my mind at ease!!

Thanks in advance...I am so excited about starting I dont know what Ill do if it goes wrong :(

sarah707
23-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the forum! :waving:

I am sorry but nobody here will know what Ofsted might / might not do... you're in one of those horrible 'wait and see' places. :(

All I can do is cross fingers for you! Don't forget to let us know how you get on! :D

angeldelight
24-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Welcome to the forum

Good luck hope all goes well for you

Like Sarah says dont forget to let us know

Angel xx

coffee-time
24-08-2010, 07:23 AM
hi, i can only speak for myself but i was worried about my health form as i had only just gone back to work after 6 months off with deppression when i had my pre-reg, i was honest on the form and with the ofsted inspector, they were fine about it and i am now registered, of course your situaton is a bit different but as others have said its a waiting game, hope it all turns out for the best for you!

littlemiracles
24-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Hello,

Just so you know you are not alone, i also have been to see another doc via health management and my circumstances are not too dis-similar to yours and also about the same sort of time ago as well. The doc i spoke to was happy that there would be no issues and was happy to say i was ok to mind although obviously it would be upto Ofsted to make the final decision. I am still also waiting on CRB checks :rolleyes: Ofsted have NEVER said that it is still an issue and it was over a month ago now so am taking that no news is good news.

Hope you hear soon and everything goes well for you :thumbsup:

Mookins
24-08-2010, 04:26 PM
eeek:eek:

this was the awful part for mee too!!! i too had an eating disorder many years ago...i messed up on the form said no...my dr rang me said he would have to say yes which of course i would never of asked him to lie....what a fool i was ....such a worry i had got myself into...but low and behold Im registered!!!

i hope it turnsout ok for you
now go and getsome sleep:)
xxx

wendy bird
25-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi

My situation is along the same lines, except I have neuromuscular damage to the nerve endings in my back. I have had xrays, blood tests, physio etc etc. Now I am on constant medication for the pain management.
I have my own children and have worked in childcare since I was 14, so the job is nothing new to me. I don't really have any physical problems as I keep on top of my medication.

I waited 6 weeks for my health declaration to come back from the Dr's, this had been the last thing I was waiting for as CRB's and all other checks were finished 2 weeks before!
I have now got an appointment with the management department for a health assesssment on Thursday 2nd September, I was hoping to have my certificate on Friday but they want me to go for this appointment for a 3rd opinion.
Can anyone tell me how long or quick it takes after this? And what happens if they say I am unsuitable. Really dreading it. :panic:

nessynoodle
04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks everyone for your support. My certificate has arrived and I have been working for the last week! Such a relief and really enjoying it (though its hard work as its still holidays so have been busy!)

wendy bird - when I went to my assessment the Doctor wrote the report there and then with me in the room and sent it off straight away, it then took a few days with health management before a decision was made by them and sent to ofsted - I ticked the box that meant I had a copy of this sent to my email so that I knew imediately when they had ticked that I was suitable - and don't worry because there are different categories - yes this person is suitable, or suitable with conditions (I would imagine thse include things like a limit on how many children you can care for or hours you can work maybe) then there is not suitable at the moment but will need to be reviewed, not suitable at all, and not enough info has been given.....so its unlikely you will get the complete no no!

I chased up Ofsted a lot and made sure I knew exactly what was happening so it didn't take too long at all :)

Good luck xxx