PDA

View Full Version : Own children there for pre-reg visit or not?

Hellsbells
03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi everyone
I sent my application forms to Ofsted today, and am now getting my knickers in a twist that they'll turn up to inspect soon!

Question...did most of you have your own children there when the inspector came? I have a 14 month old son, and although he's great at playing and amusing himself, if the inspector is here for several hours he'll definately need some attention!

He could go to his Granny's, but do you think the inspector would think that I couldn't cope with him and have shipped him out or something?

Just got visions of me yelling from the kitchen about standards and policies whilst trying to make his lunch or from upstairs whilst changing his nappy!

Any advice?

angeldelight
03-04-2008, 09:46 PM
It is up to you whatever you feel comfy with

Personally I would keep him with you though its only pre- reg and she is not there to judge you but to help you and guide you and give you advice

If you have to feed your son dont worry - just take her in the kitchen with you and continue to chat to her

Dont worry you really will be fine

Good luck

Angel xx

littlewonders
04-04-2008, 07:11 AM
I agree with Angel, they aren't coming to judge you or anything like that. Its mainly just to see what rooms you are registering and how much room you have so they can work out your numbers.
It can take a while - my meeting was 3 hours long :eek: Perhaps line up all his favourite toys/snacks/tv ?? lol

fionamal
04-04-2008, 07:14 AM
I had my kids there when I got my pre-reg and it did help to relax things.

sarah707
04-04-2008, 08:14 AM
My inspector was great with the children and I felt happier having them here as they lightened the atmosphere... it's down to how you feel though...

They will ring you, not just turn up, so don't worry! :D

Emma82
04-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi,

My son was with me during my inspection last week, which helped lighten the mood. He's 7mths and even bit the inspectors foot! (he has a foot fettish at the moment)

Maybe you could have his gran on standby in case you need her.

Good luck and hope it goes well.

crazybones
04-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I think my 2 year old ds fell in love with the inspector. She was even given a "dummy out kiss" when she was leaving. That is reserved for the highest upon high. When I read through my report some of the things she said only referred tothings my son did or said and not the mindees and I was like "Go William"

Lou
04-04-2008, 09:21 PM
My pre reg.........(and i am going backa few yrs now!!!)

the inpspector was lovely and made it quite clear She would fit around my daughters needs so if she needed feeding or changing etc i was to attend to that first.

Same as a graded inspection, the children come first, so if they need something and the inspector is talking to you then they will have to wait!!!

This is one improvement of the EYFS, from what i gather the inspections from september will be far more observational, and allow us to get on with our jobs.........caring for the children!!!

miffy
05-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I would keep your son with you - the inspector will expect you to look after him whilst she is there she will not be judging you and it may help you relax

You will be fine really so don't worry

miffy xx

allinatiz
05-04-2008, 10:17 PM
I had all 4 of mine with me at mine as it was the school hols, had quite a nice inspector too :eek:

jmoff
06-04-2008, 12:38 PM
My inspector said she wanted my child there as she wanted to see what I was like with children...

Jana

Lottie
06-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I had my oldest son who is 12 and my youngest who is 2 at the house during the inspection.

I think it actually took the pressure off as they were both a conversation opener.
Also I thought it would be easier to have the children with me as she could see for herself the family set-up.

It ended up that she also met my Father and my partner too. And it all went really rather beautifully! :thumbsup:

So I would say keep the children there! :clapping:

Hellsbells
06-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone!
Right, that's decided then...my boy stays!

You're right about the inspector not coming to judge, but I'm finding it difficult to keep things in perspective as childminding is all I can think about at the moment...and yes, I do blame this site, lol :p

I've even found myself waking up in the night thinking 'ooh, I must tidy that cupboard/underbed storage/knicker drawer just in case they check'. AAARGH!! :laughing:

Thanks again to all for advice x