PDA

View Full Version : Feeling truly like a mug

mum22
03-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi I am new, but this forum has already been a big help - I feel like a mug i took on an 18 month girl in November, 4 days a week, parents said they were looking to move nearer to station but still in same area, so there i am telling everyone how great it is and how my little girl and this little girl will go to same school/nursery as same age - even said it to mothers next door neighbour - so feel a prize plum when i find out house onmarket and they were only ever going to move to Scotland from Kent !!! what should i do wait for them to sell and give me 1 month notice i feel let down as i took them on in good faith and have turned other business away grrrrrrrr:panic: :angry:

angeldelight
03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Hello

Oh that is a shame

Maybe you could have a chat with mom so you hear the reasons from her and not from someone else ?

It might take them ages to sell or find somewhere else so maybe that is why shes not mentioned it yet?

Angel xx

Kelly
03-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I would explain to the parents that given the circumstances if any other families came along looking for childcare I would give them their months notice. As you are running a business not a charity, you cannot turn a long term commitment away. Most families I have seen have been able to wait a month before starting.

I am sure they will understand, after all they had lead you to believe that they where satying in the area! I would probably drop that into the conversation.

Kelly

Twinkles
03-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Personally I'd give notice now. They didn't give you a thought and lied to you.
If you've been turning work away you shouldn't have a problem filling your place.
Sorry if it sounds harsh but it would serve them right, I'd be bl**dy mad too.

mum22
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
thanks yes just needed some moral support - not much business flying around my area so this one was just perfect.... ah such is life i guess my big gripe is that as i have 2 children under 5 this is my 1 vacancy so when she goes so does my whole income until i replace her...

Pipsqueak
03-04-2008, 08:59 PM
We are good with support on here!!! (Lord knows I have needed it often enough!):D

don't beat yourself up over it - you have done your job as best as you can and its not your fault they have up and changed their minds.

By the sounds of it you will be able to fill your space(s)!!!

Noodles
03-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I would explain to the parents that given the circumstances if any other families came along looking for childcare I would give them their months notice. As you are running a business not a charity, you cannot turn a long term commitment away. Most families I have seen have been able to wait a month before starting.

I am sure they will understand, after all they had lead you to believe that they where satying in the area! I would probably drop that into the conversation.

Kelly

I agree with kelly tell them that if anything else comes along you will have to serve them their notice.

wendywu
03-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I would not say anything until i had a child to replace her with, then give a months notice. They have used you so i would use them. Lets hope you can replace her and give notice before they sell. Revenge is sweet:angry:

littletreasures
04-04-2008, 06:48 AM
I would start advertising now and if you get someone give them notice.

littletreasures

miffy
04-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Where did the information come from that the family are moving to Scotland?

Before you do anything rash I'd check you have got all the facts straight - talk to the parents - things might not be as you think

Then if it is true and you are unhappy look for something else as wendywu suggested and give notice.

Good luck

Miffy xx

Rubybubbles
04-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Because I work on a RAF camp, often 4 weeks notice is given due to peoples postings ..................but in genral I have always been given much more I have never replaced someone because they are moving, I would also check with the parents about this, but as u have no idea about when they would go I guess if you had enquires then fill them, maybe I'm on the fence on this one, but we have a lot of people come and go and would hate to think, if a parents gave me time when they leave I'd boot them out the door

Sorry just re-read, but stick to what I say If it makes any sense

sarah707
04-04-2008, 08:12 AM
I would start advertising now and if someone comes along, fill the place... you are running a business... here are some advertising ideas...

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4171

Hope they help :D

Chimps Childminding
05-04-2008, 09:32 PM
I would speak to the mum, explain that you have heard they are moving away and ask if this is true and they had led you to believe that they were staying in the area. Say that unfortunately it is a business you are running and that if someone else comes along needing a space you will have to give them notice!!:angry:

mum22
06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi everyone

thanks for your support - makes me feel better...... just to update you.. i have spokento the father - he seems to be more honest and upfront and said they are looking to move away but with housing market not good does not know when - i said i am running a business and if i get another enquiry then i would have to give notice ... he said ok he understood....

next day: he says can they drop x 1 day so i will look after lo x 3 days a week but he could if i got another enquiry go to 2 days and be flexible on days to fit in with someone else - also he will let me know as soon as they accept offer thus giving me at least 3 months notice - i said i think that is fair. dont want to sound like a cop out by am quite happy with outcome - if i can move lo to a mon and fri that gives me a t/w/t option - if only the blooming phone would ring !!!!!

so there i am clapping myself on the back and having a glass of wine for almost assertive!! and fingers crossed if i get another part time lo, when the 1st family moves my income does not become a fat zero !!:clapping:

sorry if this is so long but it is sunday afternoon and i do have the omnibus eastenders on.

love Helen

sarah707
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
That sounds much better Helen... at least you know where you stand.

Now you just need to get advertising! :D

angeldelight
06-04-2008, 02:07 PM
That is good news Helen well done

Angel xx

miffy
07-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Well done Helen

Pleased things are a little clearer for you

Miffy xx