PDA

View Full Version : A couple of general advice questions pls! :-)

Newbie1!
21-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi all, thought instead of starting a thread for each thing that I would put a few questions I have all in one and hopefully will get some replies!! So here goes!

1. Can I check the progress of my application/CRB etc online - and if so where and how.
2. Please can I have your opinions on advertising before registration - how long before, whether its allowed etc.
3. Any advice on what to do about my job - as in, cant afford to give it up til Ive got mindees - any ideas of other things I could do too!
4. Am I right in thinking that there is a standard font you are supposed to use for all your paperwork and things like labels on the childrens toys etc? and if so does anyone know what it is? Im just making the labels for the toy boxes and then starting on my policies so would be handy to make sure I do it right first time!!

Sorry, that all went on a bit but would be soooooo grateful for any help and advice. xxx:( :blush:

sarah707
21-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi all, thought instead of starting a thread for each thing that I would put a few questions I have all in one and hopefully will get some replies!! So here goes!

1. Can I check the progress of my application/CRB etc online - and if so where and how.

http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/services/online_tracking_service.aspx

2. Please can I have your opinions on advertising before registration - how long before, whether its allowed etc.

It is allowed there are no requirements saying you cannot advertise.

Some Ofsted inspectors will strongly advise against it until you have a certificate in your hands just in case something goes wrong.

3. Any advice on what to do about my job - as in, cant afford to give it up til Ive got mindees - any ideas of other things I could do too!

It's a tough one and you need to work it out for yourself really.

Really you need a couple of confirmed children before you stop working but that can be hard in the initial stages.

Find out about benefits like tax credits that will help you once you are working 16 hours or more a week.

4. Am I right in thinking that there is a standard font you are supposed to use for all your paperwork and things like labels on the childrens toys etc? and if so does anyone know what it is?

No, nothing standard, it's up to you.

I tend to use Comic Sans for child friendly stuff... Verdana or Century Gothic for stuff for parents.

It's a totally personal choice

Im just making the labels for the toy boxes and then starting on my policies so would be handy to make sure I do it right first time!!

Sounds like you are getting organised! If you need help come back and ask us.

Sorry, that all went on a bit but would be soooooo grateful for any help and advice. xxx:( :blush:

I hope that helps. :D

coffee-time
21-08-2010, 07:02 PM
im answering no.3 as i also have a job i cant afford to give up before i start childminding, i work 3 days a week mon-weds and am childminding on thurs and fri only at the moment its a bit of a catch 22 as i cant say yes when i get asked to mind mon - weds and not many people just want me on thurs fri although i have a little girl now on thurs and fri which is a start. do you work all week maybe you could cut down to 2 or 3 days and childmind the other days for a bit?
hope that helps!

Newbie1!
21-08-2010, 10:35 PM
I hope that helps. :D

Thank you Sarah - Fabulous as ever!!xxx:clapping: :clapping:

Newbie1!
21-08-2010, 10:37 PM
im answering no.3 as i also have a job i cant afford to give up before i start childminding, i work 3 days a week mon-weds and am childminding on thurs and fri only at the moment its a bit of a catch 22 as i cant say yes when i get asked to mind mon - weds and not many people just want me on thurs fri although i have a little girl now on thurs and fri which is a start. do you work all week maybe you could cut down to 2 or 3 days and childmind the other days for a bit?
hope that helps!

Hia sweetie and thank you for your reply...glad to know someones in the same boat!! I currently work every day. Mon, Tues, Thurs Fri I work in the afternoon and Weds I work in the morning. There is definitely scope within that to do a couple of mornings and wednesday afternoon but cant help thinking my chances of finding someone who want that will be very slim!!xx